UPDATE on "Who Killed Simon Rabbit". Despite owner's requests to have her rabbit's body returned to her for examination, United now says they had the body cremated. Was United's action reasonable, or was it an attempt to hide evidence?

Annette Edwards, 65, had called for a post-mortem but later learned the ten-month-old’s body had been burned on Friday. The 3ft bunny froze to death last month after bungling ground staff at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport put him in a chiller by accident.

He had been flown there from Heathrow and was destined for a celebrity owner in Ohio.

Former Playboy model Annette, of Stoulton, Worcs, said: “The whole thing stinks of a cover-up. I had been asking United over and over again for his body so that I can have him examined here in Britain but they never got back to me. All I want to know is how he died. Then finally late on Friday they called and told me he had been cremated and there was nothing they could do. I suspected he was dropped but to find out he was frozen to death has really knocked me. I had asked for the CCTV but they wouldn’t give me it and now I know why.”