C_ZAR1s avatar People & Celebrities
4 13
The people are still deciding if C_ZAR1 is right or wrong. Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Partially. Historians today might disagree but economies, social structure, customs and political values of the North and South were in also in play. Maybe because slavery was woven in these matters too.

There was also protectionism - northern manufacturing interests supported tariffs and protectionism while southern planters demanded free trade.

And, the south wanted to right to secede whenever it wanted. The north insisted on a more solid union.

Slavery was an underlying cause, but I believe it was more about States' rights. The States entered into the union voluntarily, and even to me (never lived in the South) it seems reasonable that they should be able to leave the union at any time.

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."
-Abraham Lincoln

It was about Slavery sure but far from being the only cause for it as others have mentioned.

Yes. Too bad Trump was absent in high school the weeks they studied American History.

Only liars say otherwise.

The Civil War, like all wars, was economic. It's always about money.