+9

A friend tells you about the friends of a friend. You're happy listening....until she says: "and they are Black..."

All these questions... You notice she probably wouldn't say: They are white..? Are we still in the arc ages when it comes to colour? This is at the point where I feel like shoving her up against a wall...and screaming: so...would you have said it if they were white??

Sukiesnows avatar Technology
5 13

Why can't people just stay away from seeing differences...or at least acknowledging them fairly... It really hurts.

Honestly...when it comes to seeing the soul within...I feel people are mostly still in the first Grade....

I would still listen. I think it's rather ridiculous, that just mentioning someones "race" has become such a big deal. It would depend on what my supposed friend said after that, as to how I would proceed in the conversation.

I'll still be happy to listen..

I'm not the one making the stupid comment, if there is one..

@DandyDon I'll still be happy to listen.. I'm not the one making the stupid comment, if there is one..

Yes...I'm still embarrassed for friends who say things like that.

I mean...Dandy...is there ever a reason that you need to know the colour of someone?

@Sukiesnow Yes...I'm still embarrassed for friends who say things like that. I mean...Dandy...is there ever a reason that you...

No I don't but some people do..

There's positive souls and negative souls, what body they get put in doesn't make a bit of difference.

@DandyDon No I don't but some people do.. There's positive souls and negative souls, what body they get put in doesn't make...

Too right.

We live in such a white world. Maybe you don't down there...but we do up here.

You know my friend could have said: she's Jamaican or something...now that would be a good way of getting the message across...if she felt like she had to....

I have said about a friend: he's gay...but that was mostly so my family wouldn't start prying: "Why aren't you married?" ETC...

No one that I know has ever said that....but they have said..."he's Muslim."

I was in a business that the Spanish person described a friend of theirs as white, so it happens in all walks of life.

I think it is just as likely that black friends talking and then saying. "They are white", would be just as common.

Context would dictate how I interpreted what they were saying.

Friend: "Can you pick my friends up from the airport?"
Me: "Sure, how will I know who they are?"
Friend: "They're a middle-aged husband and wife and they're black..."

Nothing at all abnormal about that.

Now, if they're saying it in a stereotypical or otherwise negative way then I'd have a problem with that. It really just depends on the situation.

I think it's silly to deny our differences, those differences make our world a better place in multiple ways and I see no intrinsic or altruistic value to that. To blanket-deny that we're different is to deny who we are as people, it's just another form of extreme thinking. imo I equate that with its equally opposite extreme; building an extreme perception about people based solely on their differences.

Ah yes, the Human Race, where there is no real defined finishing line......

Anonymous