Is it possible to love Jesus and consider yourself Christian for His sake, but not identify with the Christianity religion?

I am not a traditional Christian. Ive got tattoos, i swear, ive done drugs, never married (legally), break laws, yet I have an undying, unshakable love for Jesus. The church is someplace that i see hypocrites go, and judge, and I dont think the church is what God meant for it to be. To me, a church should be somewhat like a 24 hr. Indoor waterfall with a big skylight that you can go to anytime and pray how you want and find acceptance regardless of what Spiritual book you read from.

77% Yes its possible 0% No, cant have one without the other 8% Jesus loves you either way 0% No, you are probably going to hell if you do that 15% Other
Jaxxis avatar Religion
4 9

Definitely, you can.

Religion is what we choose.

ZonkeyBallss avatar ZonkeyBalls Yes its possible +2Reply

I think so. To me religion/spirituality are inherently personal and subjective. When I was Catholic and went to Sunday services I would occasionally wonder whether anyone there believed everything that was said. My sister jokes that she's a "cafeteria Catholic"... as if she had a lunch tray and had selected what from Catholicism. I'll have a little bit of that, and a little bit of that, but none of that.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge Yes its possible +1Reply

The bible says religion is something made up by men and God has a poor opinion of it.

SmartAZs avatar SmartAZ Yes its possible 0Reply

That's what I do.

Trishs avatar Trish Yes its possible 0Reply

In the 19th century Americans started moving west and three institutions went with them. There was vaudeville, traveling entertainment. There was lyceum, traveling education and culture. And there was the itinerant preacher, offering a new style of preaching called "hell fire and brim stone". It was very entertaining, only loosely based on scripture, and pastors didn't even try to compete. Instead they switched to preaching public morality and philosophy. Eventually an entire generation grew up not knowing the first thing about the religion they claimed to believe. That is why most Christian churches don't teach doctrines, and most members don't know what they are supposed to believe.

2 Timothy 4:
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Anonymous