+3

Someone's opinion or belief doesn't determine their value or intentions as a human being.

CiscoKarpes avatar Philosophy
3 25
@2561317

Obviously talking about Nazi's. Didn't my post make it clear enough?
I'm saying that actions determine the value and intentions of someone not a belief or an opinion.
Opinions can change, people can realize their fault's in their beliefs.
I'm saying you can have misguided beliefs or you can be hostile and aggressive towards others. There's a huge difference.

@CiscoKarpe Obviously talking about Nazi's. Didn't my post make it clear enough? I'm saying that actions determine the value...

So, you're talking about the Nazi's that hate Jews, teach their children about hating Jews, hand out with fellow Jew haters, but never actually gassed a single, solitary Jew.

Nope, I'm thinking that person keeps his values stored in a cesspool and his intentions are likely to stand idly by while his more committed pals engage in genocide.

@Budwick So, you're talking about the Nazi's that hate Jews, teach their children about hating Jews, hand out with fellow...

Y'all have twisted something nice into your own twisted ideas, this had absolutely nothing to do with Nazi's because Nazi's were killing Jews so obviously that means that their ACTIONS have determined our outlook on them as human beings.
Actions determine someone's intentions not their opinion.

@CiscoKarpe Y'all have twisted something nice into your own twisted ideas, this had absolutely nothing to do with Nazi's...

Look at it this way...

Belief is an acceptance that a statement is true or something exists.

Intention is an aim or a plan.

Action is the act of doing something, usually to achieve an aim.

Therefore, intention is the result of belief and action is the result of intention.

Using the example of Nazis, their intentions and their actions were based on their beliefs regarding Jews.

I would argue that each, belief, intention, and action, are used to determine the value of a human being because each has an effect on how a person interacts with others. Each defines a person as "good" or "bad".

Can a person be mistaken? Can a person cause harm with only the best intention? Yes. In that case how the person deals with his or her mistake determines value, whether he/she is "good" or "bad".

This post had absolutely nothing to do with Nazi's so I believe y'all need a better argument than that.
I'm talking about a misguided opinion, not a misguided collective action.

@CiscoKarpe This post had absolutely nothing to do with Nazi's so I believe y'all need a better argument than that. I'm talking...

I'm sorry. I was thrown off by your clarification which read - "Obviously talking about Nazi's. Didn't my post make it clear enough?"

I have no idea what you are talking about now.

@Budwick I'm sorry. I was thrown off by your clarification which read - "Obviously talking about Nazi's. Didn't my post...

I was definitely being sarcastic.
DWF asked if I was talking about the Nazi's having the right idea.
This post means what it says.
Someone's opinion or belief doesn't diminish their value or determine their intentions as a human being, it's the actions that prove true value.

@CiscoKarpe I was definitely being sarcastic. DWF asked if I was talking about the Nazi's having the right idea. This post...

Well, they can't lock you up for thinking about stuff. But, there are zillions writing books, articles, scientific papers about how are thoughts turn to actions.

Put it this way Cisco - if you knew your intended baby sitter thought endlessly about sexually violating children, would you still hire that person?

@Budwick Well, they can't lock you up for thinking about stuff. But, there are zillions writing books, articles...

Obviously not. I'm talking about opinions and beliefs. Ideas, not devious fantasies of lunatics.

@CiscoKarpe Obviously not. I'm talking about opinions and beliefs. Ideas, not devious fantasies of lunatics.

Whoa! Hang on there Cisco - have you 'determined a value for their intentions as a human being?'

@Budwick Whoa! Hang on there Cisco - have you 'determined a value for their intentions as a human being?'

A devious fantasy like child abuse implies that their intentions are flawed.
Human beings no matter how seemingly evil, crazy, stupid have a lot more underneath the surface.
A simple opinion or a belief can't determine who someone is entirely.

@CiscoKarpe A devious fantasy like child abuse implies that their intentions are flawed. Human beings no matter how seemingly...

So, you HAVE determined a value for their intentions as a human being.

What's your point anyway? Is someone busting your chops for what you think?

@Budwick So, you HAVE determined a value for their intentions as a human being. What's your point anyway? Is someone...

I just don't quite understand how you can disagree with the fact that everyone deserves respect unless they plan to hurt people intentionally.
If you don't agree with someone you can't just make assumptions about their personality and their worth based on their belief or opinion.

@CiscoKarpe I just don't quite understand how you can disagree with the fact that everyone deserves respect unless they plan to...

OK, I don't want to beat a dead horse here, and I honestly do understand your premise but can you provide a real world example? I mean an example of someone whose thoughts were known to be evil but he was a nice stand up guy in day to day life?

Cuz, the only ones that come to mind for me are the mass shooters or terrorists and after the dust settles neighbors and friends say stuff like "I don't understand. He was such a nice guy." Every phuckin time it's the same thing. And then they did a little deeper to find the manifesto, secret plans and stuff.

Please, tell me the story of the one I missed that doesn't do that.

@Budwick OK, I don't want to beat a dead horse here, and I honestly do understand your premise but can you provide a real...

You are thinking in extremes, this post has nothing to do with justifying criminal activity it has to nothing to do with evil people. It has to do with BELIEFS AND OPINIONS.
Here's an example, we usually tend to disagree on issues on this site but that doesn't mean I make assumptions of who you are based on your beliefs and opinions just because I don't agree. I respect your opinion and I wouldn't equate it to anything but us having a conversation.
Therefore it doesn't diminish my idea of your value as a human being or what your intentions are.

@CiscoKarpe You are thinking in extremes, this post has nothing to do with justifying criminal activity it has to nothing to do...

It seems like a simple enough premise but a lot of people don't understand how to respect a varying opinion.

In a nutshell don't make assumptions about people based on their opinion or a belief. There is so much underneath the surface.

@2561317

There's a difference between having evil intentions and just having a misguided opinion.

It doesn't dictate their value as a human being. Intentions? Maybe...

I think a person's values hold a great factor in their value as a human and is completely entwined with their intentions. Your values are what guide you in your decisions in life. All actions begin with values, and all personalities grow from a core set of values and beliefs.

LiVis avatar LiVi Disagree 0Reply

You need to learn what the words mean. Then we can discuss it.

SmartAZs avatar SmartAZ Disagree 0Reply

It most certainly does.

Anonymous