What’s the smartest thing you’ve seen an animal do?

Image for post What’s the smartest thing you’ve seen an animal do?
Budwicks avatar Animals & Nature
5 20

On a video I've seen a shark approach some scuba divers to get help to untangle itself from being caught with a rope wrapped around it.

In real life I had a wild bird peck on my window that I had interacted with before, and when I followed it outside it's baby was caught in some bird netting which was over the neighbours vegetable patch which I freed. I love it when animals feel they can trust you enough to get you to help them.

Aside from things I've seen non-human animals do on some nature documentaries, it would be squirrels figuring out a way to get into the supposedly "squirrel resistant" bird feeder I used to have.

That, and my recently deceased cat Monkey opening all kinds of doors. If she wanted to get in somewhere, she could even turn a doorknob. I've seen my own animal friends do many things that are both "smart" and funny, actually.

Run away from a human

I've seen a hamster climb a fence to escape a cat...

@2563373

I can do that!

I've seen two kittens fight with lightsabers on YouTube before.

I once had a cat who would sometimes find a coin on the floor, pick it up with her paws, set it rolling and chase it.

I've seen a few pets, who seemed to understand how to baby watch a child. By quietly following them and then making sure they didn't get into trouble.

Those pets might be better than some babysitters.

@Zolfie I've seen a few pets, who seemed to understand how to baby watch a child. By quietly following them and then making...

When I was a squirt my parents had a Great Dane. He towered over me and my friends.

One day, my friends and I were playing cowboys and Indians. The play must have looked too rough to the Great Dane. He gently picked up the other kid by the collar of his coat and set him down outside the boundary of the yard, then sat there to ensure he didn't come back.

No body taught him how to do that. You're right, some pets just seem to understand their job.

@2569754

Gotta love Old Mutley!

Hi Brian! Long time, no see. Hope all is well.

@2570262

I'm doing well my friend. Congrats on the new house!