MichelleVs avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
9 32

The Shawshank Redemption. A redemption story based on the novella by Stephen King. I just loved the story of two long time friends meeting in prison, Andy and Red.

@2567518

The novella The Body was turned into the movie, Stand By Me.

The novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was turn into the movie, The Shawshank Redemption.

I have many, but a special one is "Anne Frank, The Diary of A Young Girl". I first read it when I was about her age, and it touched me deeply. It was like walking beside her through a world gone insanely evil, and yet she maintained her own innocent perspective on life and humanity.

Hmmmm
Lord of the flies, i read it first when i was young. It had an impact.

I enjoyed the stand. Enough to read it again when the uncut version came out. The whole good vs evil theme, with an unknown at the end. So feasible.

There are many others......

Favorite movie.....most people here know it's harold & maude.
Why.....it warms me

@2567771

The Stand was on of my favorite books by King.

I don't know about "all time", but I read "1984" when I was a teenager in the late '50s and I was thinking "that sounds like something that could actually happen in a communist country". But since then, I have watched so many aspects of that book actually happen in the U.S., e.g., politically correct speech rules are like the 1984's Newspeak, and our government increasingly telling us how we have to live our lives (proliferation of areas where smoking is no longer permitted) and outlawing "offensive" speech. When I went to college in the early '60s, I used to like to go to the "Diag" in the center of the campus to watch the protest speeches being delivered.

@2567521

I read the book by Stephen King. The movie was really good as well.

@2567527

The book is so much better than the movie.

It was a toss up between

Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin. To open my eyes to the glory that is a quest for adventure and a thirst for knowledge.

Pheadrus by Plato. It showed me that nothing is new and that human thought processes are the same now as they were 2500 years ago. Logic is logic and humans don't change.

Rhetoric by Aristotle. Taught me that the spoken and written word are the most powerful tools humans will ever develop, and people who don't understand the way words can manipulate us are destined to fall victim to those that do.

@2567627

This was King's pseudonym. Thinner is also another good book penned under the name of Bachman.

@2567732

I believe he took it down after Columbine.

'The Secret History of the American Empire' by John Perkins was one of the most enlightening books I've read in terms of understanding geopolitics. If you want to know how the world really works, or at least take a deep look into a central aspect of how the world works, this is a tremendous read.

'The 48 Laws of Power' by Robert Greene. Very important lessons on the dynamics of power. I found myself cringing at how my own violations of the laws had cost me. Reading this book is not all sunshine and roses, but if you take it's lessons to heart and apply them ethically, you can definitely improve your life.

'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' by Robert Kiyosaki. An easy to read introduction to money management. There's a lot of BS when it comes to money, this book takes it back to common sense basics, and does so in a way that reads more like a novel than a book on business. There has been some controversy surrounding some of the business practices employed by people licensed to sell other more advanced courses bearing the Rich Dad brand, but that's a side issue, the information in 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' is solid and worth reading.

'The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do about It" by Michael Gerber. How to turn your small business from a job into something you own. Most small businesses fail, and it's usually because their structure is based on people rather than systems. By employing the same strategies major companies use, you can create a well organized business which customers love, that runs independently of you and can expand easily. A definite must read for anyone with an interest in owning their own business.

'The Bible' Some things never change, and this timeless source of wisdom is a good way to learn the big important lessons in life the easy way. Because life is short, and learning the hard way is painful. Jesus' sermon on the mount, Matthew 5-7 is a good place to start, as is 1 Proverbs.

The Inheritance saga (book) by Christopher Paolini. I like fantasy novels, a lot, and this series pulled me right into it like no other has; I easily felt like I was living the life right along with the characters in the, plus I had a crush on the Elvin princess ;)

Anonymous