What’s your favorite book/movie of all time and why did it speak to you so much?

Image for post What’s your favorite book/movie of all time and why did it speak to you so much?
MichelleVs avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
9 32

The Shawshank Redemption. A redemption story based on the novella by Stephen King. I just loved the story of two long time friends meeting in prison, Andy and Red.

@2567518

The novella The Body was turned into the movie, Stand By Me.

The novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption was turn into the movie, The Shawshank Redemption.

I have many, but a special one is "Anne Frank, The Diary of A Young Girl". I first read it when I was about her age, and it touched me deeply. It was like walking beside her through a world gone insanely evil, and yet she maintained her own innocent perspective on life and humanity.

Hmmmm
Lord of the flies, i read it first when i was young. It had an impact.

I enjoyed the stand. Enough to read it again when the uncut version came out. The whole good vs evil theme, with an unknown at the end. So feasible.

There are many others......

Favorite movie.....most people here know it's harold & maude.
Why.....it warms me

I don't know about "all time", but I read "1984" when I was a teenager in the late '50s and I was thinking "that sounds like something that could actually happen in a communist country". But since then, I have watched so many aspects of that book actually happen in the U.S., e.g., politically correct speech rules are like the 1984's Newspeak, and our government increasingly telling us how we have to live our lives (proliferation of areas where smoking is no longer permitted) and outlawing "offensive" speech. When I went to college in the early '60s, I used to like to go to the "Diag" in the center of the campus to watch the protest speeches being delivered.

@2567521

I read the book by Stephen King. The movie was really good as well.

@2567527

The book is so much better than the movie.

It was a toss up between

Voyage of the Beagle by Charles Darwin. To open my eyes to the glory that is a quest for adventure and a thirst for knowledge.

Pheadrus by Plato. It showed me that nothing is new and that human thought processes are the same now as they were 2500 years ago. Logic is logic and humans don't change.

Rhetoric by Aristotle. Taught me that the spoken and written word are the most powerful tools humans will ever develop, and people who don't understand the way words can manipulate us are destined to fall victim to those that do.

The Long Walk by Richard Bachman.

Original pen name for Stephen King. It was actually a short story but it was very impactful.

@Will_Janitor The Long Walk by Richard Bachman. Original pen name for...

This was King's pseudonym. Thinner is also another good book penned under the name of Bachman.

@2567732

I believe he took it down after Columbine.

The Inheritance saga (book) by Christopher Paolini. I like fantasy novels, a lot, and this series pulled me right into it like no other has; I easily felt like I was living the life right along with the characters in the, plus I had a crush on the Elvin princess ;)