+16

The lilacs are starting to bloom!!

Image for post The lilacs are starting to bloom!!
Carlas avatar Language
16 42
The voters have decided that Carla is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

So are the allergies...

@DandyDon So are the allergies...

Fortunately....i dont suffer from them.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@Carla Fortunately....i dont suffer from them.

I'm glad you don't..

For the last week, i've been waking up with one side of my face stopped up..

@2568779

It does, i use those breathe right strips, they help.

I try not to take medicine.
If i get a headache for a while, then i will.

@DandyDon It does, i use those breathe right strips, they help. I try not to take medicine. If i get a headache for a while...

Dandy Don : Those nose strips my mom used those but they feel too weird for me - how did you get used to them :?)

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Dandy Don : Those nose strips my mom used those but they feel too weird for me - how did you get used to them :?)

They do feel weird.

I got used to them because they help me breathe better when i'm sleeping and i don't have to use any kind of medicine or nasal spray.. :)

@2568407

I have various shades of purple, pink and a few white. When they go full, i will snap a pic. Behind the house is packed with them.:)

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

I noticed that last Friday... Lilacs, Tiger Lily's, Lily of the Valleys, and Daisies...what more could you ask for?

@Sukiesnow I noticed that last Friday... Lilacs, Tiger Lily's, Lily of the Valleys, and Daisies...what more could you ask for?

You get tigers, already? Mine dont bloom till late june! Those liitle lily of the valley, just love them. Little violets, too.
This part of the world is awoken, and showing us its colors....gotta love it:)!

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@Carla You get tigers, already? Mine dont bloom till late june! Those liitle lily of the valley, just love them. Little...

No Tigers yet...but it all begins with the Lilacs...

If you love Lily of the Valleys as much as I do... I buy Dior's Diorissimo...which is as close to their fragrance as I could come.... Sometimes I just spray it around.

I remember coming home from school and there would be a vase full of something on the table... Lovely.

@Sukiesnow No Tigers yet...but it all begins with the Lilacs... If you love Lily of the Valleys as much as I do... I buy...

I have them surounding the foundation of the house. They spead like crazy. Like the hyacinths(sp?). I almost get teary when they pop up where i mow. I have a huge patch of the hyacinths (again, sp?) By my bird bath and feeders, i usually mow there, right now...just cannot

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

I miss having them around

Thank you, ser ;)

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

Oh I love lilacs, but I can't get them to grow in my yard. But my peonies are in bloom and so are my yellow day lilies.

@Carla They seem to like our sandy soil. Yours may be too, rich.

I think you're right. We've had trouble growing tomatoes too.

@StarzAbove I think you're right. We've had trouble growing tomatoes too.

Indiana has such dark soil. Has to be full of nutrients. Too full for some species, maybe.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@Carla Indiana has such dark soil. Has to be full of nutrients. Too full for some species, maybe.

Where we lived before, we had a huge garden, and even a lilac bush, but now we're about 20 miles north of where we used to live and can't get some things to grow.....our landscaping does fine but not certain flowering shrubs or veggies....so we have given up.

@StarzAbove Where we lived before, we had a huge garden, and even a lilac bush, but now we're about 20 miles north of where we...

When you have to go to lengths like digging a four foot hole to mix the proper soils, it is better to just let nature decide:)

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

Tomatoes need coffee grounds mixed into the garden, get the free grounds at starbucks. I have a special compost pile just for my tommies.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Tomatoes need coffee grounds mixed into the garden, get the free grounds at starbucks. I have a special...

We've given up on a garden, plus, we have a Farmer's Market in our area every Tuesday with fresh veggies and fruit.

@2568769

Im a couple of hundred miles north. Mine are just beginning to open up.
Love it...love it!

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@2568784

I have a few that are trees. One is...hmmm, 20' tall, maybe. It is a mass of lilac in the back. They are certainly prolific. Shoots abound.

Came down? Is it still a baby?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@Carla I have a few that are trees. One is...hmmm, 20' tall, maybe. It is a mass of lilac in the back. They are certainly...

I envy all you that have lilacs they are my very favorite Thank goodness cross the street has some I can see in July when they start blooming up here in maine.

Haven't had the chance to smell any lilacs yet this year. I bet yours smell heavenly when they bloom! Can't wait for the photos. In my area are lilies-of-the-Nile, various poppies, wisterias, violets, horsechestnuts, California buckeyes, irises...too many to list!

Mashas avatar Masha Agree +4Reply
@Masha Haven't had the chance to smell any lilacs yet this year. I bet yours smell heavenly when they bloom! Can't wait...

Bird of paradise is one of my favorites.

Yes the aroma of fresh lilac is wonderful.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

Yahoo

dunno

Matt41s avatar Matt41 Disagree +3Reply

Here, they are belated, due to the cold snaps between last month and this month, but by now, the first flowers start to bloom.

About the lilac:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syringa_vulgaris

(not to be confused with the butterfly tree, Budleja davidii: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddleja
also called summer lilac)

Anonymous