StarzAboves avatar Animals & Nature
12 65
@2569289

One year after the sale was over, I was starting to pack up what didn't sell, some guy comes along, offered me a price for everything I had left....problem solved. lol

@2569370

Yep, wish that would happen all the time.

@2569097

Our Neighborhood Association sponsors two every year, one in the Spring and one in the Fall. They take care of all advertising, etc. All I have to do is get things priced and ready to go. It's a lot of work, and what doesn't sell is going to the Goodwill. Mine is June 10.

@OzSurfer They have something similar here too! When I had a garage it was fun!

I've only participated in two before and it was quite profitable. I don't think this time around I have any big money items, just a lot of little stuff.

@StarzAbove I've only participated in two before and it was quite profitable. I don't think this time around I have any big...

Do you guys get professional garage sale hunters turning up on or before the advertised time? We do here, so you can say your garage sale starts at 8am, and there can be people out the front at 7am or even earlier. What they do is offer to buy all the best things and try and knock down the price, then they take it all to their stall at the local market and sell it at a profit. Clever but I see them coming now and don't let them knock down my prices.

@OzSurfer Do you guys get professional garage sale hunters turning up on or before the advertised time? We do here, so you...

Yes, so I don't open the garage door until 8 a.m. I've had people stop in the night before while we were setting up and buying some things. I took their money, it was hard to tell them to get out of my garage. lol

@OzSurfer Lol wow, it sounds like a world wide phenomenon

So many people out looking for bargains, and no matter what price you put on things, they try to talk you down. lol

@StarzAbove So many people out looking for bargains, and no matter what price you put on things, they try to talk you down. lol

That's so true, I once sold a brand new - never been used or taken out of it's box cordless electric drill. It was $450 in the store, I had $50 on it and someone offered me $10 for it. I said I'd donate it to charity before I'd accept that lol. wary smilie

We have them here to we call them swap meet Louie's. That's why a lot of people state in their ads no early birds.

@BarbOBarr We have them here to we call them swap meet Louie's. That's why a lot of people state in their ads no early birds.

That's a cute name. I wouldn't mind the early birds if I'm ready for them. So I don't open the door until I'm ready.

I should do that. But no.........my stupid ass is packing it all. The idea, to unpack it and sell what i dont want or need.
I am wishing myself luck with that:]

@2569115

I know, it's a lot of work, and then if things don't sell, it's off to the Goodwill Store. lol

@2569439

No, June is when I'm having mine.

@2569455

I'll bet you have a lot of good junk. Good luck. lol

The last one I had was emotionally upsetting, as it was when I got divorced. I had to get rid of a life time of things that meant a lot to me that I was basically giving away. Still, they are a great way to meet people in your neighbourhood and I miss that about them.

@OzSurfer The last one I had was emotionally upsetting, as it was when I got divorced. I had to get rid of a life time of...

That's so sad. When we moved before I got rid of a lot of things that I would have kept if I had stayed put. But now I'm trying to get rid of some really good things that I just don't use anymore or have no place for them.

@StarzAbove That's so sad. When we moved before I got rid of a lot of things that I would have kept if I had stayed put...

Yes I understand. I basically got rid of everything, one because I couldn't afford to buy it from my ex and also because it was stuff we'd bought together so it hurt seeing it. This might sound weird but in the boot of my car, I have a polishing cloth that is an old t-shirt of hers that she was wearing when we first met. It's all I have left. I should use it or throw it out but I can't bring myself even after all this time, to touch it or do anything with it.

I used to always have a regular garage sale to get rid of anything that didn't have a place. It meant that my house was never messy. Then we'd only buy things that would have a place somewhere. I miss the lack of clutter like that.

@OzSurfer Yeah i do

Is there any chance of a reconciliation?

@StarzAbove Is there any chance of a reconciliation?

Sadly no. Her parents miss me a lot and used to call me their second son, but for reasons that nobody knows, she wanted to be on her own. This happened after her cancer came back.

@OzSurfer Sadly no. Her parents miss me a lot and used to call me their second son, but for reasons that nobody knows, she...

People have strange reasons for leaving a marriage, and it's hard when there's no known or logical reason. And very painful.

I hope someday you can find someone to love again. If not, be happy anyway.

@StarzAbove People have strange reasons for leaving a marriage, and it's hard when there's no known or logical reason. And...

Yeah i see. I guess it's my first one so I'm not very experienced at it lol. I was always of the view that it would be forever so we'd deal with any issue together, so I never thought for a moment that it would ever end.

@OzSurfer Yeah i see. I guess it's my first one so I'm not very experienced at it lol. I was always of the view that it...

Most people do have that expectation when they marry, and it's sad when one decides to call it quits. It happens way too often anymore.

@StarzAbove Most people do have that expectation when they marry, and it's sad when one decides to call it quits. It happens...

Yeah I know you're right. I assumed that it wouldn't happen to me so that was a shock, but also that we'd been together 20 years and had no living or financial issues, we never had arguments or any real issues and I'd spent a couple of years renovating the house to make it just the way she'd wanted. She was the only person I had ever trusted so when that was all taken away I have found it hard to trust anyone since. Plus nobody seems to want to comit to even meeting up for coffee anymore so I think the idea of relationships for life are a thing of the past. Maybe there's sense to that? i don't know. I guess society had always given me the expectation that, that's how things are supposed to be but things seem so superficial and temporary now so I don't really see where I fit in with my old style of thinking.

@OzSurfer Yeah I know you're right. I assumed that it wouldn't happen to me so that was a shock, but also that we'd been...

20 years is a long time to give up on. I have no idea why someone would leave with no apparent reason. But it happens a lot anymore.

@StarzAbove 20 years is a long time to give up on. I have no idea why someone would leave with no apparent reason. But it...

You're right, most of those at work and people I grew up with are divorced or else they stay together for the kids or their business but the relationship is over. I don't think I could do that though.

@OzSurfer You're right, most of those at work and people I grew up with are divorced or else they stay together for the kids...

Most of my friends have been married for quite a while, in fact I only had one sister that was divorced and she has never remarried....kinda like your situation. He left with no apparent reason, but they had three sons....she never got over it....but he is no longer on this planet, and I can't say I'm sorry either, he treated her like dirt.

@StarzAbove Most of my friends have been married for quite a while, in fact I only had one sister that was divorced and she has...

That's really sad. I can feel her pain. I think if there was some reason they left, like you did something wrong, that'd make it easier. It would be especially hard for her with kids too. I was naive in thinking that there has to be a major logical reason for a relationship to end.

@OzSurfer That's really sad. I can feel her pain. I think if there was some reason they left, like you did something wrong...

We can't know what others are thinking, that's the sad part. But it's best not to dwell on it if possible, I know that easy for me to say. But it's in your best interest.

My husband and I seperated for many years. At the time I thought it was growing pains,on his part. We found our way back to each other after a period of years. We now have been married for forty two years. Give your wife time to see what she needs to see. After twenty years you guys had together, she might make her way back. I'm hoping for the best for you two😊

your junk probably better than my junk. When I have my yard sale a lot is going to be a dime or free.Then leave it in the lawn for thieves to take.

@2574015

The good stuff, I'll put a good price on them, if they don't sell, I'll keep or take it to the Goodwill.

Okay, just give me the address and I'll be there looking wink smilie

I don't believe that there is any official yard sales here other than by churches and the auction houses.

@StarzAbove Most around here aren't official, we see them everywhere usually on Saturday.

I don't think that they're around here... but I just remembered the local town does official have a weekend for it. But I don't live in town, and it's normally junk or kid or women stuff. I haven't seen much adult guy stuff ever looking at those.

@StarzAbove Oh I forgot you're a big city guy. lol

I'm big in certain areas, but I don't know about the city part.

I grew up in a big city suburbs... but I think that I'm barely a bit in the country now. I got a cow pasture as one of my neighbors

@StarzAbove How nice, I'll bet that's pretty smelly about now. lol

Nope, usually we don't smell anything. .. of course we're both up wind and up valley from them, but no normally they're not smelly for some reason.

Also it's a small cow group... not a huge herd or anything.

Anonymous