+23

My mother was born in 1928, in the Texas panhandle. She has been through the depression, the dust bowl, WW11. She has seen many things develop and become ordinary. I asked her yesterday what she thought was our greatest achievement in her lifetime. Her answer.....the completely automatic washing machine:)

What do you think?

Image for post My mother was born in 1928, in the Texas panhandle. She has been through the depression, the dust bowl, WW11. She has seen many things develop and become ordinary. I asked her yesterday what she thought was our greatest achievement in her lifetime. Her answer.....the completely automatic washing machine:)
Carlas avatar Language
16 71

My mom was born in 1918, and she was thrilled with the advent of the vcr .... favorite movies on her own t.v.! I was born in 1947 (about the same time as television), and I am most grateful for real air conditioning. When I was a kid, only the movie theaters had it.

@Carla Central heat and air!

Ya I was thinking heat or propane fireplace, they are nice but still a real nice old fireplace can not be beat for special occasions.

She must have some amazing stories to tell.

@PhilboydStudge She must have some amazing stories to tell.

She does. Im glad i have a good memory, though. Her recollections are few, nowadays. I have to pull them.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +7Reply
@2571449

Well she is still pretty sharp. Just not as conversational as she once was

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Carla She does. Im glad i have a good memory, though. Her recollections are few, nowadays. I have to pull them.

Tape some conversations so you can always have her remembrances. My Mom did that with her mother, my sister has the tape won't let me see it because it makes her sad. selfish girl she is if she dosen't want to see nobody should - if she dosen't want desert after dinner nobody can have any. jeesh. I am calling tomorrow to demand she give it to me for safekeeping.

I have to say space exploration. Because of the spinoff technologies it has produced.....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +6Reply
@2571573

Velcro was made after people watched how burdocks stuck, so you can bet some old codger was keeping his canvas tarps down with burdocks long before space travelers. I will have to look it up.

@2571462

There you go:).

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@2571336

In your lifetime.....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

I can believe that Carla. I remember as a small child watching my Mom doing laundry with a machine with the rollers on top to squeeze out the water. Wash Day took all day.

@2571377

Lucky you still have both your hands:]

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@2571377

That was the upgrade. We had one on the farm that had a gas engine on it. (No electricity on the farm when I was little) When we got electricity, we took the engine off the old one and built a go-cart. Image in content

@Carla Home built go carts.....good times:)

When we got older we put the grain augur motor on it. (10 HP) That was an accident begging to happen.

@JustJimColo When we got older we put the grain augur motor on it. (10 HP) That was an accident begging to happen.

The ones i rode never had breaks. My cousin in texas built one with a lawn mower motor. Got my first broken bones on it. 2 in my left hand, drove it right into the chicken coup:) they let a 6 year old daredevil on it. My uncle took it and it was never seen again.....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@2571466

When you don't grow up with a lot, you make the most out of what you have..<s> My brother could outrun it.... but it was still "cool"....

@2571377

I smashed my fingers in it ... pain, but no breaks.

For my Dad, I'd have to say, the tractor. I remember going into the loft of the barn as a kid and seeing all the harnesses for the horses they used to work the fields. (My Dad was born in 1913)

@2571357

In YOUR lifetime....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@2571374

Think on it...

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

Hmm....I guess one of the first innovations I thought was really cool, was the cordless phone. After that, it would be the advent of affordable home computers. Even though I acquired one long after the majority of other people my age did, I immediately came to appreciate what I could do with it. ALL that information (or misinformation) there, if I didn't have a book handy on the subject! :)

My mom was born in 1928, too. She might have said what your mother did, since she grew up in a home that didn't even have indoor plumbing.

@Carla What we take for granted, no?

Yes, there are so many things I kind of take for "granted", until they stop working. Although I'm very grateful for them, I don't always realize just how much, until then.

No, not anonymous. Need to fix that

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@2571327

:). Didnt know how long it would take.
Ser is quick.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@Carla No, not anonymous. Need to fix that

What do y'all think? Parents thoughts are good, too. But in your lifetimes, what do you think is the greatest achievement?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@2571435

Make that on well toned women, not the 600 pound ones like I have seen at walmart. o_o smilie

@2571845

She saw, much. I cannot even imagine europe during ww11

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply
@2571861

Im glad y'all did, my friend.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +3Reply

That sounds like something my great grandmother would say. She was serious about a few things, the washing machine was one of them and her kitchenaid mixer was a close second. lol

For me I would say it's modern anesthetic and pain relief in general

In my lifetime...the cell phone. Even if mine makes me want to set it on fire sometimes...it is handy to have so I don't have to rush home to make a call or see what calls I missed.

🦋

Absolutely. Wish i had one.

Jaxxis avatar Jaxxi Agree +2Reply

For me, in my lifetime? Electric screwguns. Put a screw into a chunk of wood by hand; then, try it with an electric screwdriver. I'm certain that it's the device that has saved me the most time.

She must have had plenty of children to wash for? That just goes to show you how life is different for each of us. I wish my mother and grandmothers were still alive that would have been a good question for them.

I don't consider technology to be an accomplishment.

Few people really know how or why the industrial revolution happened. Most assume that it happened because James Watt invented a steam engine. That is a typical assumption, considering that we Americans are mostly interested in our gadgets. The steam engine has been reinvented and forgotten several times in the last 2,000 years. The first known inventor was an Egyptian named Hero or Heron, and he could not think of any use for it other than to open the doors to a shrine.

The inventions that are unique to the modern period are:

• mass production, invented by Sam Colt to make pistols
  • gonzo marketing, of which Diamond Jim Brady is the most famous example
  • consumer financing, invented by Isaac Singer to sell sewing machines
  • the savings bank, invented by Noah Webster

Prior to Mr. Webster, the dictionary guy, usury was condemned by almost everybody. Mr. Webster reasoned that it was ok for a man to own part of a business and to receive a portion of the profits, so it must be equally ok to deposit money with a steward who had a talent for investing in successful businesses. The depositor would not actually own a business, but he would have an interest in his steward's dealings and was entitled to be paid for his interest. Prior to that there was no such thing as retirement. People saved what they could of their earnings, or they hoped their children could support them, or they worked until they dropped. The savings bank was an obvious winner, and millions of people deposited their savings to get the benefit of compound interest, thereby providing huge amounts of investment money for new industries such as the recently reinvented steam engine.

Besides technological progress, a better understanding of health, environment, systems and society have improved living conditions for many, but all changes or innovations have also some negative sides.

Anonymous