On Sunday May 28, the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race will take place. Have you ever been to that Race? It's a big deal here in Indy.

Image for post On Sunday May 28, the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race will take place.  Have you ever been to that Race?   It's a big deal here in Indy.
19% Yes 44% No 31% Not a race fan 6% Other
StarzAboves avatar Sports
9 36

Never been. I remember back when the race couldn't be televised because the camera equipment couldn't follow quickly enough. Everyone listened to it on the radio.

@JanHaskell Never been. I remember back when the race couldn't be televised because the camera equipment couldn't follow...

Like you, I used to listen on the radio. I can remember listening to one race where a driver named Eddie Sachs was killed in a crash

@goblue1968 Like you, I used to listen on the radio. I can remember listening to one race where a driver named Eddie Sachs was...

Living here in Indy, we only get to listen to the race on the radio. Except last year it was unblocked so we saw it live on TV. I remember when Eddie Sachs was killed, not sure what year it was, but some family members were at that race. There have been a lot of drivers killed in that race, and no wonder, the speeds that they are driving. There was a bad crash this past Saturday during qualifications. The driver got out OK, but with quite a few broken bones.

I've been to one race, but have been to a lot of qualifications.

It must be so much fun being in your area at this time of year..... I've only been to drag races....and they were great...too.

@Sukiesnow It must be so much fun being in your area at this time of year..... I've only been to drag races....and they were...

It's a very fun time. This coming Saturday there's a huge parade downtown, lots of marching bands, celebrities, etc.

@2573160

I hope some day you can make it down to Indy. It's an exciting race, lots of ceremony, jet fly overs at the start.....some family members of mine go every year. In fact one is flying in from Florida and another is coming from Ohio. I like the stock car races too....in fact I always wanted to drive in the Powder Puff Derby. lol

@2573383

You'd have a great time. It used to get pretty raunchy the night before the race, a lot of partying going on. lol

Sure, stop in we usually have a cook out either after the race or the next day.

@2573307

It's a great race lots of great things happening before the race as well. Maybe you can attend one one of these years.

I used to go watch drag races, that's about it..

@DandyDon I used to go watch drag races, that's about it..

No stock car races? We have national drag races here in September.

@StarzAbove No stock car races? We have national drag races here in September.

Yea but this was just a drag way, no lap racing..

Stock cars, funny cars, rails, rails with jet engines, motorcycles etc.

@2573202

It's a very big deal here and across the country, so I'm told.

@2573284

I used to know most of the drivers, and Jacques sounds familiar, but don't remember that episode.

@2573244

It is very loud, too loud for me

I was ther in 1983, the year Tom Sneva won!

@StarzAbove Did you enjoy the race?

I did! I felt sorry for Mario Andretti though. he pulled out of the pits with the fuel hose still attached, and it ripped the side of his car off. Then there was Al Unser Jr. blocking Sneva, as Senior was leading at the time. Come to think of it, I think that Al Junior's rookie year.

@StarzAbove Was that the year Andretti was trying for his fourth win?

Mario had only won once, in 1969. He had some awful bad luck there over the years. Michael's luck wasn't so good either.

I've never been to​a race.

Here in Indy? So you are in Indy?

@Zolfie I've never been to​a race. Here in Indy? So you are in Indy?

Never? to any race? Wow, that's very rare. No, not in Indy, that's the capital of Indiana. I'm not big city.

Anonymous