+6

Words can and do hurt. Calling someone a derogatory name can leave scars. People who hate "PC" are just looking for an excuse to cast verbal sticks-and-stones and then to blame the victim for being hurt. If someone asks you not to call them that name why would you persist? Call them what they want to be called, it's no skin off your nose.

Image for post Words can and do hurt. Calling someone a derogatory name can leave scars.   People who hate "PC" are just looking for an excuse to cast verbal sticks-and-stones and then to blame the victim for being hurt. If someone asks you not to call them //that name// why would you persist?   Call them what they want to be called, it's no skin off your nose.
VicZincs avatar People & Celebrities
4 25
The voters have decided that VicZinc is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

That is so very true. Words have consequences.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

I mostly agree, especially concerning racial slurs that have a long a history of being used in a very demeaning way.

I absolutely agree, that words can and do hurt.

@2575521

I don't deny anyone free speech.

I stand by the idea that if you call me 'Joe' and I say please don't call me joe and you keep calling me 'Joe' (because ya'know free speech and all...) then you are a dick. That's all I am saying.

You have absolutely have a right to call me Joe, but why would you if I asked you not to? Because you're trying to be a dick is the only reasonable explanation.

@2575710

OK. and I am sorry. I should not have used such sweeping language.

@2575710

PC is about controlling people - You are so, so correct! Terrific insight, common sense, great comment.

Another has a post on this topic right now on Justin...and I had a post on Words earlier. We seem to be caught up in a similar zeitgeist.

Words need to be treated lightheartedly...and with respect.

I like being politically correct and I don't believe it's controlling...and/but I would definitely call people how they like to be called.

Not true, the fact that you don't conform to a movement that seeks go "la la la la la I can't hear you" to reality and be oversensitive to anything even remotely opposite of their views doesn't make them necessarily an asshole.
I'm not talking about derogatory terms, there is a fine line in refusing to bow down to some pretentious whelp and being purposely offensive.
Dare say illegal immigrant instead of undocumented or eat a pop tart in the shape of a gun.

@2575523

I feel bad that your life is so miserable that you have to make others feel bad just so you can feel good.

@VicZinc I feel bad that your life is so miserable that you have to make others feel bad just so you can feel good.

Good for you Vic, you managed to disrespect someone with out calling him a derogatory name.

@VicZinc See it can be done.

Vic - I was mocking your comment. What difference does it make if you disrespect someone with or without a derogatory name.

@Budwick Vic - I was mocking your comment. What difference does it make if you disrespect someone with or without a...

Makes no difference. We are all human. Doesn't change my opinion. Word can hurt and leave scars. If I hurt someone's feeling, I apologize and stop saying hurtful words.

Anonymous