What is your favorite type of technology that’s outdated/not made anymore/obsolete, one that you miss?

doctorwho1011s avatar Jokes & Humour
5 8

I miss the old fashioned "wind wing" windows on cars. It was nice to be able to direct a little fresh air wherever you wanted it.

Crackjack Toys.

When I was a kid you got real toys. Miniature cars, whistles, rings, little dogs or horses, made of metal (probably lead, lol) tiny working pinball toys, a miniscule bowling set.

Gosh I miss that.

A lot of old tech fascinates me, but if I had to pick one thing it would be steam engines. I can't explain exactly what it is I like about them, but I've been interested in them for most of my life.

@Maze A lot of old tech fascinates me, but if I had to pick one thing it would be steam engines. I can't explain exactly...

I've always had a fascination for steam engines too. Have you ever considered building a small model engine?

@Budwick I've always had a fascination for steam engines too. Have you ever considered building a small model engine?

I'd love to build one, but I'm not enough of a machinist for that. I own one though, a Wilesco tractor, and I built an alcohol burner for it.

Do you have any?

@Maze I'd love to build one, but I'm not enough of a machinist for that. I own one though, a Wilesco tractor, and I built...

Wow - that's really a beautiful machine!

No, I don't have one either. I'm handy, but not a machinist either. I bet there are kits with machined parts. Then I'll need to convince Momma Budwick why we need one!

@Budwick Wow - that's really a beautiful machine! No, I don't have one either. I'm handy, but not a machinist either. I...

I got mine off Ebay for about $300 brand new. I was curious how much they're going for now, so I did a quick search and I spotted a good deal on a tractor like mine. It's used, the roof is a little bent, but it's only 100 British pounds and no bids with only 20 hours remaining.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/vintage-...kAAOSw8lpZIFrz

As for why you need one, well, if you've always wanted something, isn't that a good enough reason? Besides, it's decorative, you can put it on display somewhere.

I bumped into this on YouTube, thought you might find it interesting. That time GM got a guy to convert a Chevelle to steam power....