+21

Law Enforcement Officers Should be Both Trained and INSTRUCTED, to Deal with Dogs in a Non-Fatal Means.

I've been hearing about dogs being shot by local cops and or SWAT teams, for a long time now. Half the time, the cops aren't even at the right house, or their suspect isn't guilty of what they thought.
I've made the mistake of looking at some video footage of those happenings, several times. They've been sickening and disturbing, every time.

Police can shoot your dog for no reason. It doesn't have to be that way. - The Washington PostTraining could go a long way to reducing these senseless animal deaths.https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/11/13/police-can-shoot-your-dog-for-no-reason-it-doesnt-have-to-be-that-way/?utm_term=.a35070cc4dd7Image for post Law Enforcement Officers Should be Both Trained and INSTRUCTED, to Deal with Dogs in a Non-Fatal Means.
Piper2s avatar People & Celebrities
10 49
@2578700

Calm down. We're not the enemy, Another. Trust me. :)

@2578700

I tend to doubt that, if only because of the heat they are often under by 'the public', when these incidences occur. Unfortunately, it is rare that the guilty officer actually suffers any repercussions....

No.....you've made yourself pretty clear, there.

@2579125

Perhaps. More likely, there would just be more dead cops, and more 'civilians' dead or in jail.

I could be wrong, of course.

@2579186

Like I said...."perhaps". Thanks for your input, Another.

@Piper2 I tend to doubt that, if only because of the heat they are often under by 'the public', when these incidences...

There is very little heat from the public, because cops consider the public to be the enemy. They consider it a perquisite of their job to flaunt their authority over the public.

The problem is that judges will bend over backwards to let a cop off as long as he was following "guidelines".

@SmartAZ There is very little heat from the public, because cops consider the public to be the enemy. They consider it a...

Sure there is, especially since most people have access to the internet these days, and cell phones with cameras.
Not quite enough heat, evidently, because I know you're right about few cops ever getting anything but a slap on the hand, when they unnecessarily shoot a dog.

Before anyone feels the need to mention it, I AM aware that law enforcement officers also kill humans for very dubious reasons. Not quite as often, but often.

It seems as if a dog's life is easily disposed of...sad...

What's bothering us here right now is about husky teams...if they have too many dogs they just shoot the extra ones.

@Sukiesnow It seems as if a dog's life is easily disposed of...sad... What's bothering us here right now is about husky...

It surely does, by many people. I know that it's not just Canada, where that happens. Sad, definitely....

@2578991

Yes indeed. If a cop feel so "threatened" by a dog just walking toward him or her barking, I suspect they are in the wrong job. In one of the countless sad stories I've read about, a cop shot and killed a dog that was restricted by an invisible fence. He was an older dog, who was curled up on his porch and saw the stranger walking along the perimeter of his yard, and made the mistake of checking out the situation, and, of course barking. As I recall, he was a medium sized hound/lab mix.
Most of the time, the slain dogs weren't and wouldn't have attacked anyone.

It is sad and disturbing to me, how very often this happens.

@2579552

Unfortunately, I know it does happen there. Not as I often, I hope. It rarely gets much news coverage here, either.

I see both sides of thing, also remember, negative stories go a lot further than the posaitve ones... so most of the times that police deal with a dog isn't reported, only the negative ones. So most of the time they probably do a great job, but if you have a large dog charging you and they're grolwing, a person could be scared, especially if they're going after a bad guy, as some bad guys train their dogs to attack.

@Zolfie I see both sides of thing, also remember, negative stories go a lot further than the posaitve ones... so most of...

I don't doubt that there ARE instances, when a law enforcement officer is justified in shooting and killing a dog.
As with many, many others I've seen, the video in the source link provided shows an incidence when that was not the case.
Just so you know, the intent of this post is not to paint all police officers as "bad", or indiscriminate killers of family "pets".

Thank you for your input, Zolfie.

@2579836

You may be right, but there does seem to be an increasing awareness among some law enforcement agencies, that it might be a good idea to think twice before needlessly shooting a dog.

http://www.policemag.com/channe...ling-dogs.aspx

I do realize, of course, that the very nature of SWAT teams raids will provoke most any dog into acting somewhat 'aggressively'.
Thanks, Bozette. If you'd like to share your personal experience, I'm surely interested in hearing it.

@2580360

Yes, I believe you are fortunate it worked out the way it did. I'm pretty sure some cops would have gone ahead shot your dog then just for 'meanness'....an "I'll show her thing. I'm pretty sure I would have said something similar.

That is bizarre and inexcusable, the police refusing to tell you anything concerning your brother's death. Including shooting and killing his dog, of course.
How horrible for you and your family, Bo. I'm so sorry.

@2580666

Probably. I know about just blurting something out to a law enforcement officer, too, and I've also been fortunate....so far.

I can understand that, Bozette.

@2578649

Hmm...maybe so. Always be as obsequious as possible, even when encountering a jerky or abusive person with a badge.
That has little to do with law enforcement officers shooting dogs when they don't need to.

I agree. When I was younger about a block over some people had a beautiful Rottweiler. When ever she escaped her pen she wandered around the neighbor just visiting. My parents had a police scanner because of the line of work my dad was in. Well the police were dispatched to the area because the dog was lose. I still remember hearing the fatal shot whenever I walk along that street. The officer "thought" the dog was vicious but she was just a big baby

@2578703

I am happy to hear that you had some help. If I remember right the owners were not at home at the time of the shooting. It just took one irritated neighbor and a new trigger happy officer to cause this dog to lose its life.

@Piper2 Often, the dogs are just in their own homes or yards. Sad story there, Lil_Princess.

Yes and it is tragic that there is not another route that is chosen first

Me, personally, I consider it illegal seizure of property and should get police harsh sentences.

Unfortunately, pets are defined as "property", legally. Police are allowed to kill a dog as long as it shows signs that it MAY bite, like barking, charging, growling. Police argue they had reason to fear that their life was in danger and it was ruled that this is an acceptable excuse to kill the dog, which amounts to seizure of property.

It is only natural for a pet or an animal to act territorial or protective of its own home. Therefore, if an officer is allowed to seize my property upon crossing my property line just because my pet is only doing what it is naturally inclined to do, then that, to me, is essentially the same as saying that I do not truly own my property, the police do.

@MrRite Me, personally, I consider it illegal seizure of property and should get police harsh sentences. Unfortunately...

Yes, it is surely only natural for a dog to be protective of his home and people. That is why I believe police officers should be trained and instructed to not be shooting them all the damn time.

Thanks, MrRite. As distasteful as it is, I am aware that animals are often considered and defined, as simply "property". There ARE laws against animal cruelty, too, laws that the police seem to avoid getting charged for, more often than not.

Oh no my pup would be shot on site. She runs full speed at any person, all she will do is jump all over to get attention. But no she never barks, more like happy yips so she might be ok. Plus I care about my dog she isn't outside without me.

I'd like to see more training for cops when it comes to dogs. I think most cops just "react" to a dog situation because they haven't been out in those situations during training. Granted, there are times when a dog needs to be shot in dangerous situations, but I think learning how to deal with them in a non fatal way when possible would help. As much as I love dogs, if came down to a cop being mauled or the dog put down, the cop's life has a higher priority.

It's religious: the whole country is possessed by a spirit of stupid.

You think that is a joke, but it is a technical assessment. The bible shows that any time devil spirits get active, the first and most prominent indication is that people start doing some incredibly stupid things.

We have this prophecy we call Armageddon. The last dated prophecy to be fulfilled was the creation of Israel in 1948. The USA is prominently absent from the Armageddon story, so we are waiting to see the country collapse and become helpless. That appears to be right on schedule. The sexual perverts are taking over, just as Jesus said they would. Jesus said it's going to be worse than anything ever before. All things considered, the world is right on track for the most colossal train wreck imaginable. I have read the book: we win in the end.

@2587613

Of course.

A marshal who got his job by catching wolves bare handed:

http://www.budandme.com/catch-em-alive-jack.php

any person or dog that attacks needs to be put down.