ForkNdaRoads avatar
7 20
@2584078

Pretty brazen for them to take it there. But it is the state we're talking about. Anyone who finds themselves betwixt the state and its revenue schemes is destined for financial trouble.

He's givin em hell though, I love it!

The traffic cameras have been deemed unconstitutional all over America.

Also, no one needs a license to do math.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2...raffic-cameras

@Cezar The traffic cameras have been deemed unconstitutional all over America. Also, no one needs a license to do...

Please forward that to the city council in Beaverton, OR. lol Evidently they missed the memo.

@2584049

Here's the link, did it not embed right? Sorry about that...
https://reason.com/blog/2017/06...for-doing-math

It's a crazy story that started with simple curiosity. That's the really sad part...

@2584086

Can you believe that, all that to shutout an opposing thought. It's like a petulant child that sticks their fingers in their ears: "I'm not listening, I'm not listening!" Only they have men with guns at their disposal!

It's a money making scheme all the way around. "City hall" on steroids out get as much money as possible.
Now I am really curious. When you enter the crossing on the yellow light, how much time do you have to clear the intersection and does the yellow light allow you to clear in a safe manner?

I have to commend this guy for his persistence....many people would have given up.

@Sukiesnow I have to commend this guy for his persistence....many people would have given up.

So true... I can't imagine he anticipated all this, perhaps he just thought he'd satiate his curiosity and then it slowly became the principle of the thing, you know?

Years ago, I'd have just paid the fine. If I'd have known then, in past interactions with the state, what I know about my country's govt. now, I'd have fought those cases to hell and back... if not for me, for the person who couldn't for one reason or another. But you can't change the past and all that jazz...

I think this may be one of the best examples of a speech crackdown that I've ever encountered.

People love to sensationalize free speech violations. We want to believe that unpopular or offensive opinions which lead to some social consequence (like K. Griffin's case) are violations of free speech when those are actually examples of our protection of free speech.

The real infringements are never that sexy in their story, most of them we don't even know about because few have the money to fight the state, they never make it to the judge that ensures them their story can be told without fear of punishment.

@ForkNdaRoad I think this may be one of the best examples of a speech crackdown that I've ever encountered. People love to...

And then the judges do the bidding of the state. The rights of the people have long been trampled and discarded for the almighty $$$$$.

@ozzyboy And then the judges do the bidding of the state. The rights of the people have long been trampled and discarded for...

That is so often the case. I was pleasantly surprised this man found a judge willing to let this play out in the open.

Your conclusion at the end of the 2nd paragraph above (K. Griffin's case is an example of protection of free speech) confused me. Please explain somewhat. How were the negative consequences to K. Griffin's outrageous act protecting my free speech rights?

@goblue1968 Your conclusion at the end of the 2nd paragraph above (K. Griffin's case is an example of protection of free...

Many would suggest that CNN firing K. Griffin for the photo-shoot she did of Trump somehow violates her free-expression. That of course is not the case, she was free to express herself, CNN isn't obligated to provide her with a platform from which she can do so.

Social consequences resulting from free-expression are completely natural and part of the broader speech protections we enjoy under our constitution.

In the case of this man, he's endured a financial penalty and was had to have a judge intervene so he could speak freely without fear of further financial damages at the hands of the state he dared to question. Quite a bit different from losing a job because the employer doesn't want to be associated with with the gruesome opinion of the worker.

Know what I mean?

@ForkNdaRoad Many would suggest that CNN firing K. Griffin for the photo-shoot she did of Trump somehow violates her...

Yes.
The Griffin case reminded me of the case several years ago when the Dixie Chicks made a disparaging remark about President Bush. They didn't lose their job, per se (employer/employee), but their fans immediately quit buying their music and attending their concerts which led to further cancellations of future concerts, so they basically had their source of income drastically reduced for saying something in public which many people considered to be offensive speech.

@goblue1968 Yes. The Griffin case reminded me of the case several years ago when the Dixie Chicks made a disparaging remark...

That's another excellent example... People forget that the true consequence of "offensive" speech isn't govt. or law, but the court of public opinion.

And with speech rights comes also the right of association, people love to spew, few are willing to stand the heat that comes with it...

Anonymous