+20

Disagree should not lead to disrespect or disengagement. Total agreement leads to dogma. Liberty requires diversity of opinion. Amirite?

Image for post Disagree should not lead to disrespect or disengagement.  Total agreement leads to dogma.  Liberty requires diversity of opinion.  Amirite?
VicZincs avatar Politics
10 34
The voters have decided that VicZinc is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Too many people can't stand it when someone disagrees with them. And then the insults, name calling begins. And even some malcontents think it's their right to belittle someone and try to bring them down. I call those types, BULLIES.

@StarzAbove Too many people can't stand it when someone disagrees with them. And then the insults, name calling begins. And...

Most people like it, tho...when people agree with them. Why is that? I know I like it...and to tell you the truth if someone disagrees...it does depend on how they disagree and what the topic is...

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Yeah You Are +2Reply

You are so right, Vic! Personal insults and hate shouldn't be part of the discussion.

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell Yeah You Are +6Reply

Well put. Can you elaborate on the idea of dogma, Vic? I don't think ppl get that.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Sukiesnow Well put. Can you elaborate on the idea of dogma, Vic? I don't think ppl get that.

Sure and thanks for asking.

Dogma occurs when a group of people believe in the existence of incontrovertible truth.

It can be ISIS members honest believing that killing infidels saves them from an even worse fate of eternal damnation.

It can be Christians believing that god will reject from heaven any person who is not 'born again'.

It can be right wingers who know in their heart that there is nothing more evil than socialism, or left wingers who honestly think that electric cars would somehow cause less harm to the earth than would internal combustion car with a very high MPG.

It can be PRK citizens believing that their fearless leader is a true god. Or Catholics who are 100% convinced that the Pope channels the actual words of Jesus.

Anytime a group of people think that they know the 'truth' on any subject to the point that discussion and debate is pointless - that's dogma.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Sukiesnow Thank you. So is...All dogma wrong?

Not if you want someone else to do your thinking for you, or if you are the supreme leader - then it is so sweet!

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@VicZinc Not if you want someone else to do your thinking for you, or if you are the supreme leader - then it is so sweet!

So you are saying dogma is mostly for ppl who tend to agree with the crowd...yes...I can see that.

But Vic,,,what if you agree on your own...but just happen to be with a group of people that feels the same way...

What then? And what to watch out for...in this instance?

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Sukiesnow So you are saying dogma is mostly for ppl who tend to agree with the crowd...yes...I can see that. But Vic,,,what...

Watch for being close minded. The trouble comes when you start thinking anyone who disagrees is wrong and there is no point in debate because "it is what it is"

Yes

Carlas avatar Carla Yeah You Are +5Reply
@2591120

Nothing's free. A free society doesn't work if someone only takes, takes, takes, without giving anything back.

Sofias avatar Sofia Yeah You Are +3Reply

@2590984

Sounds like something else. One could take the high road. I know what it is like as I have been on both sides, having said things that I should have kept to myself and having read things that made me upset.

Time heals all wounds and wounds all heels.

If you look at mountains on maps you will find places named "Pass". That is because everybody who goes there freely chooses the same path. That is not dogma or opinion, that is simply the right way.

@SmartAZ If you look at mountains on maps you will find places named "Pass". That is because everybody who goes there freely...

It's only dogma if when asked is there any other way the reply is " no, this is the only possible way. "

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@VicZinc It's only dogma if when asked is there any other way the reply is " no, this is the only possible way. "

I don't understand that, but if that's what was in you I'm glad you got it out.

If someone disagrees with me I have no issues with it and when I disagree with someone, I hope they show me the same respect.

🦋

Lil_Princesss avatar Lil_Princess Yeah You Are 0Reply

Imean Itotally agree with the words here but apparently so do 92% of people. That's almost definitely because two conflicting groups are interpreting the OP differently. Of course 92% of people interpreted the OP to support their side.

I think there are a lot of people who take this to mean that we should "respect" one another by avoiding conflict. If we all agree to disagree then there won't be any arguing, which is great because arguing is bad. Of course the correct way to understand the OP is that we need to embrace arguing with each other. Avoiding conflict is not a good way to respect those who disagree with you. it just makes politeness and sensitivity reasons not to share our own opinions. We should argue without getting butthurt by opinions that contradict with our own. That's easy to support when everyone argues in a pleasant way, observing PC language, and doesn't have any stupid opinions... But whats the response to someone arguing a purely racist opinion? The way I see it, standing passionately against racism is pretty meaningless if you never bother to understand the other side. Opinions are developed through several layers of perspectives. The more disagreeable you feel about someone the more new perspectives you can acquire from them. Arguing is how we force each other to become more understanding. Be respectful enough to argue with others and appreciate when others argue with you

someone should notify antifa of this

Anonymousmouses avatar Anonymousmouse Yeah You Are -1Reply