+13

Child Brides is still a thing in the USA...WTF??!!!!

I want to punch someone. More specifically, the people who are okay with this.// Edit: WARNING - Samantha Bee uses Satire in her pieces. If Satire is not of your taste, then, please, feel free to not see the video and not answer the post. Thank you.

Child Brides | June 14, 2017 Part 2 | Full Frontal on TBS|From the files of "Fucked Up But Still Legal," we present minors getting married. Watch Full Frontal with Samantha Bee all new Wednesdays at 10:30/ 9:30c on ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0lwiInZG1E
Sofias avatar Life
7 24

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply

Agreed...shamefully most states don't even have an age minimum and even those that do have it set as low as 13 years old.

@KvotheSavien Agreed...shamefully most states don't even have an age minimum and even those that do have it set as low as 13...

No one below 18 should be able to marry - it should be a global thing.

Personally, I think 21 (where they have more maturity) should be actual age, but I can accept the 18.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply
@2591434

That was my first reaction too. I can't believe this is real.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +2Reply
@2591454

So, physically speaking, we grow up until average 16 (girls) and 18 (boys), but mentally, most of us have more maturity at 21. So while I'm okay with 18, I do think 21 should be the minimum age to marry.

It's like my mum says, if it's still growing, it has no business being married.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +2Reply
@2591426

I really have no words. This just pisses me off.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +1Reply

If there isn't a law prohibiting marriage that young there should be. I worked with a woman who had married at 14 years old. And was still with her husband, but I just couldn't believe that any parent would consent to letting their child marry at that age.

Children should not be married to anyone older than themselves. Some marriages were pre arranged even before the child was born - European nations and tribes married children to bond nations. They didn't leave their own families until they were older. Seems weird to us today, but remember people only lived to around 45 when those laws were incorporated. People started life earlier unlike the people of today who are kept as babies until they are going bald.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Children should not be married to anyone older than themselves. Some marriages were pre arranged even before the...

I'm not saying there's no reasons for how the laws where made, and that people didn't have their own reasoning to accept it. I'm saying there is still people, today, defending these laws. No one should be defending this. At least I think they shouldn't.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +1Reply
@Sofia I'm not saying there's no reasons for how the laws where made, and that people didn't have their own reasoning to...

True things change as time goes on. Women are no longer pawns to be married off at a young age. Probable because nobody expects the dowry any longer.

I watched the video. Honestly, the presenter used so much sarcasm I couldn't tell which side of the issue she is on. Sadly, the OP explanation doesn't tell which side SHE is on! "I want to punch someone. More specifically, the people who are okay with this."

Well, I'm guessing I'll be on the unpopular side of the issue - minors should not be allowed to marry.

@2591463

Great job of explaining items Will!

@Budwick I watched the video. Honestly, the presenter used so much sarcasm I couldn't tell which side of the issue she is...

I'm done with your bullshit. You want to pick up fights, it won't be with me. After you read this, say so so I can block you.

Have a nice life.

Well, I thought it would be unpopular, but I didn't know the degree.

So long first amendment! You're about to be censored with a block!

@Budwick Well, I thought it would be unpopular, but I didn't know the degree. So long first amendment! You're about to be...

It's not your opinion that is unpopular, it's how you once again assumed the worse of someone and how you negatively reacted to them.

Your opinions are the same...

It's not right that you're assuming the worse of others.