+3

This will change the world...

A team of Chinese scientists have used the first quantum satellite, Micius, to successfully transmit entangled photons over a distance of twelve-hundred kilometers. This is truly extraordinary and it will likely forever change the world as we know it... Thoughts?

Global quantum communication network linking computers and sensors can be a reality, thanks to ChinaAs part of the experiment, scientists beamed about six billion photon pairs per second to separate ground telescopes, about 1,200 kilometres apart.http://www.ibtimes.co.in/global-quantum-communication-network-linking-computers-sensors-can-be-reality-thanks-china-731040
ForkNdaRoads avatar Science
5 8

I'm amazed clap smilie

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply
@Sofia I'm amazed

I want a quantum internet! Hope I live to see it!

I honestly don't know what to think. What is the significance of "successfully transmit entangled photons over a distance of twelve-hundred kilometers. "

The topic is either more than I can understand or just out of my range of interest - not sure which.

@Budwick I honestly don't know what to think. What is the significance of "successfully transmit entangled photons over a...

Well I did link to an article that explains it. But here's another that might better explain for anyone completely unfamiliar:
http://gizmodo.com/experiment-w...tum-1796143430

It's quantum teleportation, in essence, using subatomic particles of light... or light quantum; photons. They basically entangled pairs of twin-photons and then disrupted them through observation, using their ability to communicate with each other over a great distance. It is very similar to the way a message is sent and received online.

@Budwick Oh, that. Yes, definitely world changing.

This time it was in space, this has only been done over small distances here on earth. In space the rules change, in a manner of speaking.

This is instantaneous communication... think about that for a moment. Instantaneous communication.

@ForkNdaRoad This time it was in space, this has only been done over small distances here on earth. In space the rules change...

Seriously, it does open doors of thought. Communicating a great distance in an instant is interesting. I hope the good folks at SETI Institute are looking into how this might impact their work.

@Budwick Seriously, it does open doors of thought. Communicating a great distance in an instant is interesting. I hope the...

The existence of this isn't something new, use / application of it over a long distance certainly is. This could be the beginning of a quantum-internet. Hope I live to see the finished product, a pivotal point in human history...

Anonymous