+3

99.9% of people do not know how to best cook baby-back ribs.

It's strange: Everyone wants their ribs so overcooked that the meat falls off of the bone. The result is that all of the flavor is gone so they slather a ton of barbeque sauce on it. Just put it onto the grill for 25 minutes on each side with salt and pepper. Make sure that the skin side is crunchy. BBQ sauce is sacrilege and strictly forbidden. A little teriyaki or soy sauce is okay. Trust me, try it and get back to me.

Image for post 99.9% of people do not know how to best cook baby-back ribs.
JerryHendricksons avatar Food & Drink
2 33
@2595190

Because they're overcooked.

@2595195

If you cook them just like I said, they'll be something that tastes so good, you'd never want to spoil it with some bbq sauce thing to ruin the taste. You can cook. Just follow this simple thing I just put here. If you cook something too long, it kills the flavor. That's the mistake that people make. They overcook.

Do not agree.
Ribs and shoulders need to go low and slow. Giving enough time for the fat to melt. They also need flavor. A dry rub and apply apple juice during the process.keeps them moist. Then go with or without sauce at the end.
The meat shouldnt fall off the bone, but a tug should do it.

Tender, moist and full of flavor.

Carlas avatar Carla Disagree +3Reply
@Carla Do not agree. Ribs and shoulders need to go low and slow. Giving enough time for the fat to melt. They also need...

Tell him Carla!
15 minutes a side as he suggested is a recipe for shoe leather!
Low and slow - just like you said. Maybe add some wood chips to the coals to add some smokeyness. Man - I'm hungry!

@Budwick Tell him Carla! 15 minutes a side as he suggested is a recipe for shoe leather! Low and slow - just like you said...

Thats right, bud!
I use a smoker, just didnt go into using applewood from one of my trees.
But that is exactly what i do.
Bb's were on sale this week. Got 2 racks going in on saturday:)

Carlas avatar Carla Disagree +1Reply

I'm not much of a cook, but years ago I worked at a pizza place as a driver / prep cook. One of the things we sold was ribs, and we got a lot of compliments on them. Here's the inside line on how they made tender, juicy, fall off the bone ribs.

The racks of ribs normally have a membrane on one side, peel it all off, don't leave any. We cut the racks in two pieces as I recall. It made them easier to handle and package (the place was strictly take out and delivery).

You'll need a large pot, big enough to put your batch of ribs in with room to spare. add pickling spices and seasoning salt, I don't know exactly how much, you'll have to use your judgement on that.

Put the ribs in the pot, then top it up with water to near the top, not too near though, or it will overflow when it boils. Bring it to a boil, then turn it down and simmer until the ribs are thoroughly cooked. We did it by time, but I can't remember how long it was. You want to cook the ribs so they're completely done, but not falling apart. Basically just short of falling apart.

Remove the pot from the stove, pour off as much of the water as you can and add cold water. You may want to spoon off the grease first so it doesn't clog your drain. Try not to disturb the ribs. Let them cool for a few minutes. When they've cooled off, they solidify a bit so they're easier to handle. At that point, we'd put them in bins and refrigerate them.

When an order came up, a cook would grab the ribs and add a liberal dose of barbecue sauce to both sides, then put them in a aluminum takeout container and bake them in the pizza oven, but you could easily use a barbecue for that.

Carlas avatar Carla Disagree +2Reply
@JerryHendrickson Just once?

When i first made ribs on a grill, i did exactly what you do.

Soooo.......i have made the comparison.

Carlas avatar Carla Disagree +1Reply
@2595741

Gonna have to try that!

Carlas avatar Carla Disagree +2Reply
@2595330

Just try it. Trust your brother. The membrane side needs to be crispy.

OMG!
Boiling Ribs?
Leave the membrane on?
15 minutes a side?
No sauce?

Have I died and gone to hell?

@Budwick OMG! Boiling Ribs? Leave the membrane on? 15 minutes a side? No sauce? Have I died and gone to hell?

I do not boil ribs. I said to grill 25 minutes per side. Where did you get that from? The membrane is crunchy and delicious. The sauce covers up amazing flavor. AND if you don't try it you'll never have any idea. Obviously I've had it the way everyone seems to make it. What kind of idiot would boil ribs? Man, give me a little credit for having at least half of a brain.

@JerryHendrickson I do not boil ribs. I said to grill 25 minutes per side. Where did you get that from? The membrane is crunchy...

Jerry - I love you like a brother. But I cannot subscribe to grilling 25 minutes per side. If the fire were hot enough to tenderize in that time, I think I would be left with charcoal to eat. And, if it were cool enough to not burn the meat, then it would be too tough.

The boiling thing came from another post - I did not make that clear.

After copious research I've determined that you are among seven people on the entire Internet that leave the membrane on - and I believe the only one that claims to eat it.

I will take you up on your offer to try your ribs. Saturday afternoon OK? I'll bring some beer - what kind do you like? (Cold, right?)

@Budwick Jerry - I love you like a brother. But I cannot subscribe to grilling 25 minutes per side. If the fire were hot...

You're going to come all of the way to Hornell, N.Y. just to try my ribs? You need to come on a weekend that the band is playing. I like many different beers but Yuengling is a good beer for outdoors on a hot day.

@JerryHendrickson You're going to come all of the way to Hornell, N.Y. just to try my ribs? You need to come on a weekend that the...

OK, Yuengling it is.
And, I'll wait for an official invite. Seems to be a lot of construction on I-86 right now anyway.
I'll start my low/slow ribs now - so they are ready to compare to you recipe.
I want to bring enough for the band - how many?

Everyone can be a grillemaster..its not rocket science..we all have differant tastes ...fire up the grille and have fun