I just noticed that Portugal had 62 deaths from a huge forest fire. have any of you heard about this? (Click on Source)

With all the bullshit from the media about politics, I haven't seen anything on this tragedy. It makes me wonder about the values and priorities today.

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/D87A/production/_96581455_3aae392d-08f8-489c-a03b-9148e3b2af28.jpg
50% Yes 50% No 0% Other
Will_Janitors avatar Animals & Nature
8 25

Yeah. Remember when I made the post about the heat? It came various fires around the country at that time, then the lightning came and they say it made it all worse. I found out when my mum called me the next morning, when she heard about it. It hasn't been pretty.

I'll try to summarise the information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2...ugal_wildfires
A series of four initial deadly wildfires erupted across central Portugal in the afternoon of 17 June 2017 within minutes of each other, resulting in at least 64 deaths and 160 injured people.
Spain, France, Morocco and Italy deployed firefighters and Water Bombers Canadairs to help extinguish the fires. Although most official reports point to a dry thunderstorm as the cause of the tragedy, the president of the Portuguese Firefighters League expressed his conviction the fire was provoked by arsonists.

An intense heat wave preceded the fires, with many areas of Portugal seeing temperatures in excess of 40 °C (104 °F). During the night of 17–18 June, a total of 156 fires erupted across the country...The fires began in the Pedrógão Grande municipality (in Leiria) before spreading dramatically causing a firestorm. Dry thunderstorms preceded the event and may have ignited some fires:...

At least 64 people died nationwide in the fire...At least 160 people were injured, including 13 firefighters; five people—four firefighters and one child—were in critical condition. Two firefighters were also reported missing. The greatest loss of life took place on a rural road in Pedrógão Grande, where 47 people died in or near their cars when a fire overtook the area; 30 people died while trapped in their vehicles while the other 17 died nearby trying to escape on foot. Another 11 people died in Nodeirinho, near the IC8 motorway. Twelve people survived near Mó Grande as fire overtook the roads by taking refuge in a large water tank near the motorway. Dozens of small communities were severely affected.

In the afternoon of 20 June, according to reports, one of the foreign aid Canadair water bombers crashed over Pedrógão Grande, though Secretary of State of Internal Administration Jorge Gomes could not confirm the reports. Later, the National Authority for Civil Defence dismissed all reports of a plane crash, attributing eye-witness reports of the crash to a gas explosion on a camper trailer.

Then there's a summary of some people's reactions to the fires (The Pope, Foreign Presidents/Royalty and such).

Edit: There's still 11 active fires. (Is on the statistics on the right)

@2596076

Yeah, I agree on that.

No need to thank me.

@Sofia Yeah. Remember when I made the post about the heat? It came various fires around the country at that time, then the...

Wow thanks for the info, I had no idea. Hope you are safe where you are? We have had similar fires here in the past, and it's horrible even if you aren't at risk, just the heat and the smoke eek smilie

@OzSurfer Wow thanks for the info, I had no idea. Hope you are safe where you are? We have had similar fires here in the...

I'm safe, thank you :) Leiria is more up North. The only thing that happened in Lisbon was some days of heat, and a orangy sun the next morning.

With the dry heat in summer, most people are already expecting something to happen (being an accident or man-made) as it been happening every year :(

And now Spain is suffering from a fire:

@Sofia I'm safe, thank you :) Leiria is more up North. The only thing that happened in Lisbon was some days of heat, and a...

Glad that you're ok. Yes sadly we have that issue here in summer when it's hot and dry, we realise that the fires will be started intentionally in most cases. Usually I find that the smoke is the worst aspect. It makes me really sick as it can choke the air for days

@OzSurfer Glad that you're ok. Yes sadly we have that issue here in summer when it's hot and dry, we realise that the fires...

I remember the fire that happened in Madeira. I had a headache and a dry throat for some days.

@Sofia I remember the fire that happened in Madeira. I had a headache and a dry throat for some days.

Ooo and I just saw your new avatar pic... the smoke seems to have dried out your skin too! biggrin smilie

@Sofia

I'd recommend an industrial strength moisturiser, the one with the radioactive isotopes hehe smilie

I remember you talking about that one too. I get really sore lungs and affected breathing from the smoke, and if it goes on too long, my heart goes into atrial fibrillation then it's off to hospital. So me and smoke don't get along at all eek smilie

Yes, I had seen it in my news feed.

@2596052

No, pretty sure it was bing.

A tragedy. I never heard about it and I listened to the news last night.

It doesn't surprise me that this got under the radar though. It's a big world, with too many things happening. With Venezuela, Russia, Syria, North Korea and such, a wildfire in Portugal can easily be put aside.

This was the first I had heard of it. How tragic.

@2596044

I saw that. It had to be big and moving fast to trap people that way.

Nope - not a word. Perhaps they can't pin it on Putin or Trump. Media just sucks these days.

@2596254

I thought it was funny!
Didn't you think it was funny?

Ya know, I actually do get it. It is aggravating as all get out when everything is politicized these days.