-6

Being an Atheist requires more work.

While you may have acquired values like - do good, not bad - still, there is the individuals own responsibility to seek out their spirituality...and then apply it to their life. Which is harder than being a follower of a religion.

Image for post **Being an Atheist requires more work.**
Sukiesnows avatar Religion
9 45
@2596090

Hahahahaha xD

I like chicken yum smilie

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply
@2596090

Haha... It is possible since some have been indoctrinated for many years...studied v seriously and when they grew up...chose to go a different direction.

Many ppl had religion forced on them by virtue of being born into a certain family and being stuck with it...which carries the sturdy expectation of forever...

@2596090

I don't get the chicken one...tell me Will.

@2596269

Oh...okay....thx.

@2596092

Yes. That is another kind of a Seeker. I know ppl who practise alone - perhaps they pray at night and that's about it - and some who are continuously on the lookout for a good religious group to join in the Christian genre. Believe it...a good group of like-minded ppl can be difficult to find.

Whether one believes in a supreme being or not is a very personal decision. People are obviously strongly influenced by their family and society, but when it comes down to it, you either believe in God or you don't. It's your decision alone. Because of this I think we all responsible for our own spirituality.

I do think it's easier to blindly follow a doctrine than to allow yourself to question it, but the religious don't have have a monopoly on that. I'm sure there are plenty of atheists who don't question their beliefs as well.

I guess.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply
@2596135

Setting up your own belief system and spirituality requires much time and navel gazing...putting it all into practise takes valour and tenacity.

If you don't do this - and many don't - you become just another seeker-drifter. But, yes...not everyone feels the pull to dive deeper into the pool of the 3rd eye.

A lot of people turn to paganism...like white witchcraft... Witchcraft honours nature a lot and can be done by itself alone, without joining a group...you prolly know all this... Many ppl incorporate various ideas from paganism like witchcraft into their spiritual life.

Just not believing in God isn't enough for people who realize that spirituality is another facet of one's life...one which needs exploration...and also can be v rewarding.

IMHO

@2596167

Yeah, well...what do I know anyway?

My religion is without a church; it's a nondenominational Christianity. My relationship with God is between God and I. Nobody has any business telling me how I should live my life as a Christian. I just ask the big guy when I have a question.

@JerryHendrickson My religion is without a church; it's a nondenominational Christianity. My relationship with God is between God...

There's something about you that calls out to ppl to interact with you; I don't know what it is...

@Sukiesnow There's something about you that calls out to ppl to interact with you; I don't know what it is...

I think people sense that I genuinely care about them. I care about everyone, regardless of whether we agree or disagree about things. I also share my life with you all.

@2596109

IMHO

@2596165

Interesting. I love animals.

@2596251

I was thinking about a hamster... Love 'em.

I agree with the statement with one small correction: Being an Atheist "required" more work. I was raised in a family of Christian churchgoers, but questioned what they taught me when I became an adult. I spent several years researching the various religions and trying (unsuccessfully) to find a logically valid proof for the existence of god. That resulted in me declaring myself an Atheist, but the work is behind me now and staying Atheist requires no work (except for defending my position from occasional challenges from Chrisitians that I know). My prior research and religion studies also enabled me to develop my own moral and philosophical positions which comprise my spirituality today.

@goblue1968 I agree with the statement with one small correction: Being an Atheist "required" more work. I was raised in a...

I too was born into a family of church-going Christians. I had so many unresolved questions by the end that remaining Christian was the difficult thing for me. Once I finally admitted to myself that I was Agnostic the mini-existential dilemma I was living with waned.

Well, yes...but your last sentence says that you did work at it...and once you "develop your own moral and philosophical positions" you still need to work at it to keep it going. Spirituality does not want to get or stay stagnant.

Just getting up in the morning requires more work for a lot of people.

@2596518

So...when you fill in documents...what do you put down as your religion?

See...most ppl...knowing that you believe in God...would be very happy to take you to their church...

@2601675

If you go into the hospital for a procedure they ask you for your religion in case you conk out...and need last rites or something.

@2602029

Mostly for procedures where you are being put under... Could be...;)

I would think that being an atheist would be easiest. You make up all your own beliefs as you go along, none of which restrict you from doing or believing anything you want. There is no accountability to yourself or a God, and when faced with a morality choice, it's easy to justify whatever choice you make.

@JustJimColo I would think that being an atheist would be easiest. You make up all your own beliefs as you go along, none of...

Ha ha...make it up as you go along. That does sound easy but it's not like that...or it could be like that since life is what you make of it.

But if you are an antheist requiring spirituality...that is another matter. Then it's like building your own little personal church.

@Sukiesnow Ha ha...make it up as you go along. That does sound easy but it's not like that...or it could be like...

Spirituality is still a belief in a supernatural power, be it a God or other force outside of ourselves. Atheism is a disbelief in anything spiritual or supernatural by it's definition.

Yes because you have to actually find answers instead of just saying Goddidit! Religion is like dropping out of the school of life.

DrYess avatar DrYes Agree +1Reply
Anonymous