+1

President Trump Signs Veterans Affairs Accountability And Whistleblower Protection Act | Full Speech 6/23/17

Today we are taking a very historic action to transform the VA by enacting the 'VA Accountability and Whistleblower Protection Act,' this was not easy, this was not an easy one. And it's one that they've wanted to do, Michael, you know, for a long time, for many years, couldn't get it done, we got it done. This is one of the largest reforms to the VA in its history, it's a reform that I campaigned on, and now I'm am thrilled to be able to sign that promise into law. VA accountability is essential to making sure our veterans are treated with the respect they have so richly earned through their blood, sweat and tears. This law will finally give the VA Secretary, who by the way is just doing some job, and he's doing it with this [points to his head] and with the heart, believe me. It gives the secretary the authority to remove federal employees who fail, and endanger our veterans, and do so quickly and effectively. It's been a long time since you've heard those words. Those entrusted with the sacred duty of serving our veterans will be held accountable for the care they provide. It's a big statement. At the same time, this bill protects whistleblowers who do the right thing. We want to reward, cherish and promote the many dedicated employees at the VA, this legislation also gives the VA Secretary the authority to appoint new medical directors at VA hospitals, something which was almost impossible to do in the past. These are going to be talented, talented people. I applaud Chairman Phil Rowe and the members of Congress here with us today, which we have many, who fought so hard for this legislation, and I want them up here when I sign. And I just want to thank the members of Congress, uh, they have been really dedicated to getting this done, it was not easy for them either.