Sukiesnows avatar Fashion
7 56

I think her greatest accomplishment was promoting a global ban on landmines.

.

[BBC] 1997: Princess Diana sparks landmines row

Princess Diana has angered government ministers after calling for an international ban on landmines.

Her comments - made during a visit to Angola to see for herself some of the victims of landmines - are being seen as out of step with government policy.

The Junior Defence Minister, Earl Howe, has described the princess as a "loose cannon", ill-informed on the issue of anti-personnel landmines.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday...00/2530603.stm

.

The Mine Ban Treaty, or the Ottawa Treaty, is the international agreement that bans anti-personnel mines. Officially entitled The Convention on the Prohibition, Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Antipersonnel Mines and on Their Destruction, the treaty is sometimes referred to as the Ottawa Convention. The Mine Ban Treaty was adopted in Oslo, Norway, in September 1997 and signed by 122 States in Ottawa, Canada, on 3 December 1997. As of January 2013, there were 161 States Parties to the Ottawa Treaty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I..._Ban_Landmines

@2598086

Eww...what would you say if your partner dressed like that?

@2598123

And that's where weird clothes like that belong.

@2598086

Right again - money doesn't buy class.

@2598113

It's possible that she had advisors initially but she took over soon enough.

@2598137

And I also admit probably...

She did a lot for that stuffy sedentary bunch of royalty. Obviously, Liz...who is smart...recognized this. She put them back on the map.

I'll stop talking now...:)

Being a good dresser does not equate as an accomplishment...now the good deeds that she did such as her charity work and fundraisers...those are real accomplishments

🦋

@Lil_Princess Being a good dresser does not equate as an accomplishment...now the good deeds that she did such as her charity...

I agree. But her impeccable flair and accurate sense of style did help the Family...

Let me ask you...if she was 300 lbs and frumpy...would she have caught the attention of the media...and then raised the profile of the stagnant Royal Family?

Sidebar: And producing an heir...which was prolly the real accomplishment. :)

C'mon, have you ever had to show up for jobs that required you to be well dressed (with rules)...you know how much work and attention that takes.... well...the Printess did it for them...as a rep of the U.K...and did it well, too. All the while supporting and increasing the focus on charities.

While I was reading...I didn't realize but she was really into charity....she was v sensitive soul.

@Sukiesnow I agree. But her impeccable flair and accurate sense of style did help the Family... Let me ask you...if she was...

That is one thing that truly pisses me off about how the media thinks everyone should be a certain look. And those that don't fit the criteria are ignored.

Yes I have had to dress up for work, I have to do it rather often. Yes it does take a lot of work.

Yes she did so many outstanding things for people everywhere and it is those things that I remember most not what she wore.

I dont think having a taste for fashion and style is an accomplishment. I read everything here. Still say no. It is an expression, yes.
Access to "everything" was helpful to her expression.

@Carla I dont think having a taste for fashion and style is an accomplishment. I read everything here. Still say no. It is...

It's possible you've been lucky enough not have had a job where you had to dress up every day, you may not realize how much work it is (clothes, hair and makeup...at 5 in the morning this can take an hour). And that is just the beginning.

If you are representing your country there is even more stress...and if you have your own agenda (her charities) it gets even more pressured. She possibly felt that being perfect was part of her contribution and perfect she was. Impeccable... improving the status of the mouldering nobility.

She was just out of her teens without celebrity experience.

Of course ppl have their own opinions...but what's the point of a post if the poster can't try to enlighten the understanding of commenters.

Thanks for reading previous comments. :)

@Sukiesnow It's possible you've been lucky enough not have had a job where you had to dress up every day, you may not realize...

Her accomplishments were far more memorable than her style. She could have worn dresses from target. She had the status, the charisma and the thoughfulness to do good things.

I have had to look professional. Never did the hair and make up thing. But, i understand the pressure to do so.

@Carla Her accomplishments were far more memorable than her style. She could have worn dresses from target. She had the...

From my POV I totally get her accomplishment - willingly - to become a (media) figurehead for the UK. It was difficult especially at her age. And people on here may poo poo it but beauty and glamour have their own magic.

Now, I totally get your opinion...you know...women! as CT said above. And all that silly women's stuff... I was prepared for that type of generic opinion on here...

The thing is... Can you - or anyone - appreciate my view point?

If we get each other's opinions...that's all I'm asking.

@Carla Oh, i get it. Having to do that every time you go out the door?

Yes. I realize ppl don't get it since it's such a celeb thing to have to do...even Sarah Jessic Parker complained about the media catching her as she was walking her kid to daycare early in the morning. And I know, ppl on here despise celebs.

Her outfits were stunning; she chose them and/or had a hand in designing them. Some are in museums.

Her last words in the car going thru that tunnel were: Can't they leave me alone.

She wasn't a celebrity; the media wouldn't even leave her alone on her own time. But that's another story.

But yes..that's one of the points of a post. You have your own POV...but is it possible to understand & appreciate other POVs?

And also...it helps to not be married to your own POV.

@Sukiesnow Yes. I realize ppl don't get it since it's such a celeb thing to have to do...even Sarah Jessic Parker complained...

Me and my pov are rather close. Difficult to redirect it. But i absolutely understand yours.:).

@Carla Me and my pov are rather close. Difficult to redirect it. But i absolutely understand yours.:).

Thank you! I know...

Her fashion talents are comparable to let's say...flower arranging... Not really necessary to live but oh so necessary to enjoy the beauty in life.

Dressing well is not an accomplishment.

@StarzAbove Dressing well is not an accomplishment.

Can you read my replies to Another and LP? Thanks. They explain what I mean.

@2598088

So missing the point.

@2598112

You could try thinking it through.

While I understand she might be "ill-informed" but who is ever "completely informed"?

She tried to use her "power" in the direction of good, at least...:)

@Sukiesnow While I understand she might be "ill-informed" but who is ever "completely informed"? She tried to use her "power"...

That was clearly empty rhetoric on the part of the Junior Defense minister. Due in part to the public attention she brought the issue, the ban succeeded, saving countless lives and preventing untold suffering. Truly one of the greatest accomplishments by any public figure.

@Maze That was clearly empty rhetoric on the part of the Junior Defense minister. Due in part to the public attention she...

y smilie She was an instigator. Sometimes instigators are not recognized at all. This is the first time I've heard about which you speak.

Lady Di was a wonderful person. I don't consider being a smart dresser that big of an accomplishment, especially for a wealthy, attractive woman.

@PhilboydStudge Lady Di was a wonderful person. I don't consider being a smart dresser that big of an accomplishment, especially...

I don't know Phil; but it is said to not judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes...so I guess we'll never know.

It's a lot easier to be a leader in wearing the newest fashions when you have an unlimited amount of money to spend on it.

@JustJimColo It's a lot easier to be a leader in wearing the newest fashions when you have an unlimited amount of money to spend...

True; but it could also be said that she was smart in taking advantage of the opportunity when so many don't.

@Sukiesnow True; but it could also be said that she was smart in taking advantage of the opportunity when so many don't.

It can also be said that many people who have that kind of money aren't self obsessed enough to try. When I see people who always wear the latest and most expensive fashions, I see a person who is exclaiming, "Look at me."

@JustJimColo It can also be said that many people who have that kind of money aren't self obsessed enough to try. When I see...

She made it Bigtime...why not show off a little. And she had her "charity niche" to support; everyone likes looking at something beautiful.

Regardless, a person's clothes and temperament are important, and this is not inborn.

@2598071

People don't realize that she was devastated when he dated her older sister first...as she had a major crush on the Prince.

She had a hand in her own style and selecting her clothes.

So, Another...are you saying that you think an excellent fashion taste and a superb sense of style are NOT accomplishments? That is the question, really.

@2598122

That last comment was unnecessary and you know it.

@2598077

So you think what she did wasn't an accomplishment. That is clear.

You are saying others did everything and that is untrue. She did a lot of it herself...Of course she didn't go out and buy the pattern and sew the actual clothes... but she gave good direction.

Furthermore, partly due to the above ...her style and work with charities revived the Royal family...and brought them into the latest century.

@2598120

That's all I wanted to know...whether ppl think that type of accomplishment is worthy or not.

Sidebar: Another...I kinda understand, but you might be more empathetic if you read a bit about her side of the story.

@2598120

My view is: no matter what opinion is correct or not...I also like to hear what else someone can contribute to a topic. And, thank you for that.

@2598071

Just out of curiosity, why do you think Diana "suckered" Charles into marrying her? From the little I've read about them, both had extreme misgivings about the marriage, and it was his father who "bullied" his son into marrying her.

@2599612

Oh, I see. Was it an article in "The Globe" then, that led you to the conclusion that Diana Spencer suckered the poor dumb prince into marrying her?

@2599740

"Mocking"? Not really, just wondering why you brought up The Globe" in response to my question.

It would be pointless to refute or deny anything you said in your former reply. You've made it quite clear there and in the past, that you just "know what you know" about the treacherous tendencies of most to many women.

IF it were "forbidden" to make negative general comments about those of the female gender on Amirite, you and many of your comments would be long gone. So would those who make negative general comments about those of the male gender.

Of course you will think what you like, just like most people....

Not exactly, but I sort of see what you mean. It could be an "accomplishment" I suppose, when one is able to find and acquire apparel that fits their style , when they don't have much money for that kind of thing.
Just having what other people consider an excellent "fashion" taste though, no.

Anonymous