Those students who were always at the top of your class with the best grades... Were you one of them? Are they making more money now?

Image for post Those students who were always at the top of your class with the best grades... Were you one of them? Are they making more money now?
ZaraZoopers avatar Education
8 35
@2598545

So all these all nighters are trash? cry smilie

I only know of one of my classmates. He did poorly in school, always dressed like a bum, was well liked though. He went into construction and is now very wealthy. lol Not sure what happened to the really smart kids in my class. I was about a B+ student, and I've done very well in life. Not a millionaire, but have no money problems YET! lol

@StarzAbove I only know of one of my classmates. He did poorly in school, always dressed like a bum, was well liked though...

I don't know if the construction thing is a business, but I wonder how important business school even is for running a business. If I put money aside, those who are average in schools are often quite satisfied in life. Those who are above average, seldom reach an above average level of satisfaction.

@ZaraZooper I don't know if the construction thing is a business, but I wonder how important business school even is for...

Construction is a big business. New homes are springing up all around my area. And he made a lot of money.

@2598632

When I posted my "How long have you been on Earth?" Post, I was surprised at how mature you were at such a young age. I hope we get to hear many success stories from you. Good luck!

@2598632

My money is on you Thibault!

You have your head screwed on right and tight. It's young folks like you that will be our leaders in the future.

I was just about the middle. From what I have seen, it's a real mix. the ones that went on to be doctors and lawyers made a lot of money, but some from the lower half did well too in sales and their own businesses. Most just made a living and scraped by. Some didn't make it at all.

@Will_Janitor I was just about the middle. From what I have seen, it's a real mix. the ones that went on to be doctors and...

In my region (South East Asia), doctors may outnumber all other professions. I hope I get a job, but I don't want to be the person GB Shaw is talking to when he says,

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live.

How well one does financially after graduation has a lot to do with the disciplined learned.

I was a B/C student in high school and then did very well in college. I was extremely fortunate to have a strong interest in a profession (software development) that is compensated fairly well.

I'm sure if I pursued a degree in say Literature it would be more difficult to find a job that pays well.

@ZaraZooper Agree.

The best advice my father ever gave me: find something you love and do that for a living, because you'll be doing it for a long, long time. Obviously that's not the only consideration, but that advice has served me very well - I've been a professional software developer for over 30 years and counting.

My mom's best advice? When I would get anxious about my grades she would tell me that all I could do was my best. Meaning.. if you give something your best effort and flop, you should not feel any shame.

@PhilboydStudge The best advice my father ever gave me: find something you love and do that for a living, because you'll be doing...

Yes. I'd divide courses into art and not art. With things like art, music and literature, you're either extremely passionate and diligent, and make a decent income or just the opposite. With the textbook and technology courses, you study, get a job and make an income according to the job demands, which depend more on the demand supply curve than how good your work is (v/s art). Sorry, it got boring. I feel you need an extraordinary amount of zeal to make the best out of some subjects. There's absolutely No shame in a flop, unless you blame it on something or someone. That is a shame.

@2598588

That happened to me in the first year of college. I went from A to C ish. It took me some time to get re motivated. Was it because you were distracted or just everyone else was too good, that you think college turned out that way.

I don't think it's so much the grades, as it is the drive. I was kicked out of HS, did average later with my BA and then had a 3.8 with my MS.
After my HS years, nobody cared how I did in HS. A couple years after I got my BA, it didn't matter. After I got my MS, nobody really paid attention to it. The paper with the word "Degree" on it, (In most fields) only opens some doors for you to get your foot in. It's what you do, and how you preform once that foot is in the door that dictates where you will go. Granted, the better you do earlier in life probably opens more doors, but after that, it's all about experience and expertise.

@JustJimColo I don't think it's so much the grades, as it is the drive. I was kicked out of HS, did average later with my BA and...

I believe there's room for opportunities at every step. Probably, every move from school to retirement.

@2598773

I presume they're businessmen(/women).

@2598960

You're doing great! They're all just bragging. wink smilie

I have known some very successful people and they all had one thing in common: they did not know how they did it. They only knew it took a lot of effort. So if somebody else couldn't do it, they assumed it must be because he was lazy.

I graduated high school with a 4.0. In college I received a 3.9 for my bachelor's & a 3.8 with my associate degree. Today I work in a crappy ass warehouse slinging dog food & sorting infested product for corporate buyers & training new people to drive 8000 lb pieces of equipment.

I don't really make enough to deal with all the craps I go through on a daily basis. sad smilie

@Lil_Princess I graduated high school with a 4.0. In college I received a 3.9 for my bachelor's & a 3.8 with my associate degree...

Thank you very much for being so honest. If you don't mind answering, when you chose your course for bachelor's, you had a different job in mind?

@ZaraZooper Thank you very much for being so honest. If you don't mind answering, when you chose your course for bachelor's...

Most welcome. Yes, I was hoping for a management position. Once again, I get to hear...you are to good at what you do we can't afford to move you anywhere. I heard that for 10 yrs at my last place of employment.