The couple were trying to achieve YouTube fame – to get views, subscribers and notoriety – so they tried amping up their pranks, according to KVLY. According to court documents, Perez shot Ruiz at close range with a .50 caliber handgun after he mistakenly thought the book he was holding would stop the bullet. Perez tweeted Monday night, "Me and Pedro are probably going to shoot one of the most dangerous videos ever. HIS idea not MINE." "He had told me about an idea. I said, 'Don't do it, don't do it. Why are you going to use a gun? Why?' 'Because, we want more viewers,'" Ruiz's aunt remembers. She said they claimed to have tested the stunt. "I don't know why they thought the book was supposed to stop the bullet," said Ruiz. "The fact that she has got to live with this for the rest of her life, that alone, is a charge to me," Ruiz said.

A 3 year old and child not even born yet will have to grow up knowing they were conceived by total morons.

Pregnant woman accidentally shoots, kills boyfriend during YouTube stuntHALSTAD, Minn. – A Minnesota man is dead after his family says he instructed his girlfriend to shoot at a book he was holding for a YouTube stunt, KVLY-TV reports. Pedro Ruiz, 22, always said he wanted a big family in his home in Halstad, Minnesota, according to his aunt, Claudia Ruiz. Her nephew's girlfriend, 19-year-old Monalisa Perez, the mother of his first child, is seven months pregnant with their second.http://whnt.com/2017/06/28/pregnant-woman-accidentally-shoots-kills-boyfriend-during-youtube-stunt/
KvotheSaviens avatar Life
6 34
@2600057

Supposedly they did try it out...he shot at the book before they did it and the bullet didn't go through.

@2600063

Yea the article I linked to mentions that it was tested out prior to doing it.

@2600057

I'm curious which book they used.

@2600057

I read that they got closer than the distance he had when he first tested it out.

Pretty high price to pay for their fifteen minutes of fame. Sad and hard to believe.

How astoundingly stupid, but sad....

@Piper2 How astoundingly stupid, but sad....

Agreed...apparently not at the maturity level where either one would say "Hmmm, we have a 3 year old.....and another one on the way. Maybe we shouldn't even try this."

Darwin wins again.

@2600142

In this case I think if it hadn't been a gun it would have just been something else. Like starting him on fire.

Yeah, I've heard about this. Philip DeFranco covered it in one of his videos. Very sad sad smilie

It's getting harder and harder to get the attention you need to make some money out of youtube, so people will do crazy things.

My first reaction was "why didn't they try it first to see if an encyclopaedia can stop a 50 cal handgun round?" but looking over the comments, it seems they did that. My guess is they didn't do a good replication of the stunt. If you lay a book on the ground and shoot it, it's supported differently than if you're holding the book. With the book laying on the ground, the point of maximum pressure is supported, so the pages stack against each other, if you're holding the book, it is not, the book can flex, causing the pages to separate instead of being a solid mass. That's probably the difference. Ironically, this would be good material for a YouTube video.

@2600171

Supposedly they did attempt to test it out first. Not sure if they used the same book or a similar book. But the girlfriend claims they tried it first. That doesn't make it any marginally smarter though.

Since he wanted her to do this, it should not be a felony manslaughter charge.

@KvotheSavien Good luck with that defense, lol.

Okay. smirk smilie

Seriously, though just probation and community service is good enough.

@Cezar Okay. Seriously, though just probation and community service is good enough.

So if someone asks you to shoot them and you do it you think picking up some roadside trash would be justice...?

@Cezar It was consensual.

I'm sure it will be debated....it was a prank stunt gone wrong. I don't know of any other potential laws they might have been breaking. Plus the interpretations....like did she have capacity to know that what she was doing could end a life? The legal speak could play a big part on this one.