+13

Making the voting history of every person in the country public is probably a bad idea, amirite?

So remember when the president said he was going to create a commission to investigate voter fraud? Well it looks like they've finally gotten around to it and have a bit more than voter fraud on their minds. To that end, Kris Kobash, vice chairman of the commission, sent a request to the 50 states. From the article: "It also seeks the full names of all registered voters, their addresses, dates of birth, party affiliation, last four digits of Social Security numbers and voting history for every election since 2006. Any documents sent to the commission will be made available to the public, the letter said." Super...

States rebel as Trump election-fraud panel seeks voters’ personal dataPresident Donald Trump’s commission on election integrity has asked all 50 states to provide voter rolls going back to 2006, and personal information including names, birth dates and partial Social Security numbers of all registered voters.http://www.marketwatch.com/story/states-rebel-as-trump-election-panel-seeks-voters-personal-data-2017-06-29
ForkNdaRoads avatar
5 48
The voters have decided that ForkNdaRoad is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

A bad idea.

@JanHaskell A bad idea.

I think so too. I've tried to communicate with my reps about this and several other recent efforts, but I never get call back, they don't seem to care much here in TX.

May want to call yours and let them know your concerns. There are only a few states kicking up about it.

ForkNdaRoads avatar ForkNdaRoad Yeah You Are +4Reply

Yes, I'm not comfortable with that at ALL. Especially that "available to the public" part.

Piper2s avatar Piper2 Yeah You Are +4Reply
@ForkNdaRoad Agreed. Seems to me this would make voter fraud easier...

Seems to me, that all that information is very few people's 'business'.

Piper2s avatar Piper2 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Piper2 Seems to me, that all that information is very few people's 'business'.

No kidding. Fortunately, as of this afternoon, 18 states are now refusing to turn it over. Outstanding :)

ForkNdaRoads avatar ForkNdaRoad Yeah You Are +2Reply
@ForkNdaRoad No kidding. Fortunately, as of this afternoon, 18 states are now refusing to turn it over. Outstanding :)

I heard there are over 20 now, but I'm pretty sure mine will not be one of them.

Piper2s avatar Piper2 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Piper2 I heard there are over 20 now, but I'm pretty sure mine will not be one of them.

Same here, I'm in TX, so... You should have seen the letter I got back from my congressman after I spoke with his office about the health care bill. It basically suggested that all opposition to the bill was due to "strongly held ideological" beliefs... An easy suggestion to make when your ideology is the one being imposed. lol

I heard a report this morning that along with the information cited above, they also wish to look into criminal backgrounds of voters. Hmm...

ForkNdaRoads avatar ForkNdaRoad Yeah You Are +1Reply
@ForkNdaRoad Same here, I'm in TX, so... You should have seen the letter I got back from my congressman after I spoke with his...

I've received a few correspondences back too, that caused an eye roll.

I didn't even start hearing about this overreaching request for information from Trump's commission, until after I saw your post. I will likely make some calls next week, but I don't have much hope that either of our states will "rebel".

@Piper2 I've received a few correspondences back too, that caused an eye roll. I didn't even start hearing about this...

Same here... What I see happening with this is some distraction will pop up and they'll do it on the slick.

I actually found it in my google news feed a day and a half before I saw it on one of Rachel Maddow's clips on youtube. I pass by there and give her an ear from time to time even though we agree on practically nothing ideologically because I've known her to be someone who calls out her own when they're wrong and it's hard to not respect that about someone, you know?

Over the years I've found it is those I agree with that are most likely to deceive me, not those with whom I disagree. It's a valuable lesson in the long run ;)

@ForkNdaRoad Same here... What I see happening with this is some distraction will pop up and they'll do it on the slick. I...

You're probably right, unfortunately.

I don't watch MSNBC much, but I figure I agree with her ideologically much more than you do. :)
Yes, I understand about respecting those we disagree with in many ways, because of their willingness to 'stand up' to those who share many of their own views, when they feel they are wrong.

I like to hear all sides of things, usually, before chiming in with an opinion or "judgement". Sometimes not, but usually....

@Piper2 You're probably right, unfortunately. I don't watch MSNBC much, but I figure I agree with her ideologically...

I don't watch much either, but I find most of the real goodies on my youtube suggestions.

Same here... there are circumstances that are 10 to 16 years old that I've still yet to form a conclusion about for that same reason :)

Very bad idea, I doubt the states will go along with that. Another one of Trump's crazy ideas.

@StarzAbove Very bad idea, I doubt the states will go along with that. Another one of Trump's crazy ideas.

When I first found this yesterday, only a handful were pushing back. As of tonight, 18 are refusing to comply.

ForkNdaRoads avatar ForkNdaRoad Yeah You Are +3Reply
@ForkNdaRoad When I first found this yesterday, only a handful were pushing back. As of tonight, 18 are refusing to comply.

Thanks for the info, I just heard about it tonight. My state will probably do it, the Gov. is Republican, took the place of Pence.

@StarzAbove Thanks for the info, I just heard about it tonight. My state will probably do it, the Gov. is Republican, took...

Most welcome. I think mine will too, I'm in TX and it appears all my reps are lapdogs to this admin.

Hopefully enough people will call their reps and let them know this one's so off limits that it would apply the necessary pressure to those who are toying with the idea of turning it over.

@StarzAbove I'll certainly be calling mine. What's happened to privacy.....

Clearly govt. has no respect for privacy so at this point it's up to us to call them out every single time they try it and hope they heed the warning.

@ForkNdaRoad That's fantastic, I'm glad for you!

I hope all states reject it. I think it's a way of deleting some of us....say we give an address, and move and when going to vote they would reject us. Or a person one age, then had a birthday....they would reject that person too. Trump is so insecure because Hillary won the popular vote, that's the reason he's doing this.

@StarzAbove I hope all states reject it. I think it's a way of deleting some of us....say we give an address, and move and...

With everything being electronic these days, there's no telling what could happen to this information.

People have a tendency to think if they aren't wealthy there's no risk for them having their identities stolen, not true. I actually dealt with an identity thief in the late 90's. I found out I was being audited just one month after my 18th birthday. Someone had taken my info and used it to secure a job, license etc. in a state separate from mine. I was fortunate in that I knew who it was. Today, that's almost impossible.

Just one example.

Course the more nefarious ways to use this, compiling enemies lists, blacklisting foes, election rigging, all is on the table with a federal database of voter rolls.

@ForkNdaRoad With everything being electronic these days, there's no telling what could happen to this information. People have...

Trump can't get over the fact that Hillary won the popular vote....which doesn't matter at all. So now he's going to make sure that he wins both. But he won't be re-elected no matter what. I predict he won't even last another year.

Plus he's making it very easy for Putin to do a better job of interfering in our elections next time around.

@StarzAbove Trump can't get over the fact that Hillary won the popular vote....which doesn't matter at all. So now he's going...

It matters to him because he wants to claim he's a man of the people and without the popular vote, he can't claim a mandate for his policies.

@ForkNdaRoad It matters to him because he wants to claim he's a man of the people and without the popular vote, he can't claim a...

He's the only one that is worried about the popular vote. We all know that doesn't count, but in his deranged mind he can't stand the thought that there were millions who didn't vote for him. Pathetic.

@StarzAbove He's the only one that is worried about the popular vote. We all know that doesn't count, but in his deranged...

Nor can his aids claim he's the peoples president. It put a real kink in the whole "silent majority," "secret Trump voter" story they were peddling.

The bigger problem is without the pop-vote things like the wall, Obamacare repeal, corporate welfare etc. etc. are popular ideas.

@ForkNdaRoad Nor can his aids claim he's the peoples president. It put a real kink in the whole "silent majority," "secret Trump...

He's definitely NOT the people's president, at least those of us with common sense and can how he's protecting Putin, instead of Americans.

@2600944

Ah... pretty seelf-defeating, huh?

I always tick off the people by asking for a paper ballot. lol But yes, agreed. I just imagine it being kept in some low-security database, waiting for some hacker group to pick it clean and really rig an election. Kinda like what happened with the NSA's top-secret malware.

@2601192

Yes, I understood that. I've never cast a mail-in ballot before, so I don't know what those look like in my state. But I've frustrated many a poll worker by requesting a paper ballot. lol

I agree.

However I had, long ago, given up all expectation of privacy.

Never again will have any secrets, privacy or anonymity in this world.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@VicZinc I agree. However I had, long ago, given up all expectation of privacy. Never again will have any secrets...

It certainly seems that way, but keep the faith Vic, there are more people fighting for your privacy than you probably think. They're greatly underappreciated, but they exist.

@VicZinc I suspect the only way that will happen is very Luddite.

I'm respectfully disagree. Did you see my post where Ron Paul interviewed Edward Snowden?

If you didn't, you should check it out. Snowden made some excellent points about refocusing our attention on the tangible rather than the futile.

In essence, we're never going to force govt. to uphold our privacy rights, we've seen solid evidence that they'll lie, under oath if need be, and do it anyway. Instead we must force them out by creating the sort of technology that forbids them entry and abandon the entire notion that surveillance is somehow synonymous with security in the first place.

It's really worth the listen...

@ForkNdaRoad I'm respectfully disagree. Did you see my post where Ron Paul interviewed Edward Snowden? If you didn't, you...

I remember it, but this is America. The only way that such a solution will happen is, if the development and production of such technology becomes profitable.

Right now it is much more profitable to build in vulnerabilities and exploit them for the value of resalable personal information.

@VicZinc I remember it, but this is America. The only way that such a solution will happen is, if the development and...

That is a distinct possibility, I guess it's up to us to make it profitable. Although, what happened with Apple after San Bernardino was heartening.

Isn't doing this a bit socialist? Big brother and all that.

Sukiesnows avatar Sukiesnow Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Sukiesnow Isn't doing this a bit socialist? Big brother and all that.

I don't know about that, but it certainly isn't conducive to the privacy protections carved out by our Constitution.

You can already look up people to find out what their party affiliation is.
https://voterrecords.com/

@JustJimColo You can already look up people to find out what their party affiliation is. https://voterrecords.com/

What you can't look up is who they've voted for in every election since 2006 and to my knowledge there is no federal database of voter history, their legal history, location, private contact information and last four of their social.

It is worth pointing out that this not a federal issue in the first place. Voter registration and potential voter fraud is and has always been a state issue.

@ForkNdaRoad What you can't look up is who they've voted for in every election since 2006 and to my knowledge there is no...

There is not supposed to be any way people can look up "who" anyone voted for since the ballots are supposed to be anonymous. Anymore, I think most people vote primarily with the party they are registered with.

@JustJimColo There is not supposed to be any way people can look up "who" anyone voted for since the ballots are supposed to be...

There isn't supposed to be, but evidently that's where this is aiming, among other areas.

Obviously the state has your voting record, they have to collect it at some point in order to count the vote. I suspect they retain it for some period of time if for no other reason than to monitor for fraud. Ten years seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Nevertheless, the federal govt. has no authority that I know of to poke around in that at all.

Yes you can all their personal information in every state you just have to pay the fee and you can get all that info for any district in the nation the big issue here is the commission wants the info without paying the fee and it will cost the states a lot of money if you think the states are standing up for their citizens you are sorely mistaken. But of course you will not here that on the news because it does not fit the narrative of either side. but you are right about the federal database and that you cannot find out how they voted even the states don't know how an individual voted as the ballot is not associated with a name

@altonschwab Yes you can all their personal information in every state you just have to pay the fee and you can get all that...

Preaching to the choir, the states standing up only for the state.

And no, you can't pay a fee and get the criminal record of every citizen. Sorry, that just isn't a thing unless you're with govt. Even then, it's unethical as a corollary to voting history.

ForkNdaRoads avatar ForkNdaRoad Yeah You Are 0Reply
This comment was deleted.
@2601347

If you say so...

@Budwick Agreed.

Not sure what state you're in, but you may want to call your Governor and Reps about it. There are only a handful of states refusing to hand it over.

Imagine this information in the hands of hackers. We're making their job easier with this... Unreal.