Sunny_the_skeptics avatar Life
7 21

I just can't fit it in my head how does anyone think how a book will hold against one of the most powerful handguns in existence. Even if the person is uneducated about guns how does it not come to mind to test it out first, there are countless YouTube videos where gun owners test various calibers on various materials.

I feel really sorry for the woman who's now charged with manslaughter while also pregnant and with a small child. Jail would be worse for the whole situation.
All that this family would ever be gone all for a YouTube video for views and fame...

@Sunny_the_skeptic I just can't fit it in my head how does anyone think how a book will hold against one of the most powerful handguns...

I think they said they tested it out on another book first and the bullet didn't go through, but it's still a crazy thing to do and i agree, jailing her won't make the community safer, it's not like she wanted to harm anyone.

@OzSurfer I think they said they tested it out on another book first and the bullet didn't go through, but it's still a crazy...

I really doubt a thick book can stop a .50 action express, I've watched a guy who does gun videos on youtube and tried something similar a long time ago only that he was smart enough to strap the sheets of paper on a mannequin

That's terrible... I feel bad even though it was stupid...

Too many people will try anything for their need to have fame.

If you own a gun and don't have the common sense to know a book is not going to stop a bullet, It's only a matter of time before something like that happens..

People should stop to realize what they have and not waste time on chasing something ridiculous..

There's a lot of pressure on some youtube channel owners to keep their susbsriber and view levels high as it can be their primary source of income. I wonder if in this situation they kept increasing their risks to maintain their income? Still, it's a tragic outcome.

@OzSurfer There's a lot of pressure on some youtube channel owners to keep their susbsriber and view levels high as it can be...

That is understandable but this is unbelievably foolish yet it ended in death, how how does a person not at least test an idea and instead risks it

@Sunny_the_skeptic That is understandable but this is unbelievably foolish yet it ended in death, how how does a person not at least...

You're right about that. It's so crazy, I mean why not at least start off with something smaller like a .22 and work up. I just can't imagine how they thought it was a good idea.

@OzSurfer You're right about that. It's so crazy, I mean why not at least start off with something smaller like a .22 and...

That's exactly what Matt from demolitionranch did, he strapped 200 sheets of paper on a plastic chest and started with a 22 caliber then 9mm then a .45 No one is going to call you a chicken for not wanting to die for a stupid reason.

"By all accounts, it seems the shooting was an accident and that Ruiz actually helped plan it." How can you plan an accident to happen? Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

The news story doesn't mention, what book they were using in the making of the video. That would be crucial to know, so we could all avoid using copies of it for that purpose. I bet this would stop a cannon ball, though:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords...book-published

@ZonkeyBalls "By all accounts, it seems the shooting was an accident and that Ruiz actually helped plan it." How can you plan an...

A very poor hindsight, no matter what I still can't believe 2 adults with children could not realize that this is a horrible idea.

@ZonkeyBalls It certainly is a worthy contender for the 2017 Darwin Award...

It is unfortunately, I just feel very sorry for the little girl and her unborn sibling.

@Sunny_the_skeptic It is unfortunately, I just feel very sorry for the little girl and her unborn sibling.

Well, fortunately the chances are, that if they ever have a step-dad, he won't get shot by their mom. Usually people learn after their first cadaver. In this case, however, I'm not certain how the social services look at the situation. Not with a kind eye, probably.

@ZonkeyBalls Well, fortunately the chances are, that if they ever have a step-dad, he won't get shot by their mom. Usually...

That's not a teachable moment though, this should be an obvious hazard, they want to put her in jail but in my opinion that wont solve anything, she didn't intend to kill her boyfriend

@2624377

They should make extra requirements for owning a gun in the US, like an IQ test. Although paper can stop bullets but around 500-600 sheets of paper and not a 50 action express but up to 9mm. There is a guy with a channel called "Demolition ranch" who tried this a long time ago, but being a sane human being he tried it on a mannequin. If these idiots used a .223 LR it'd still be moronic but the guy would have lived.

@2624741

Sure, I understand. In that case what about a test in common sense and an advanced psychological profiling?

Anonymous