Cezars avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
3 41

Socialized medicine blows. People die waiting for doctor appointments. It's equally crappy medical treatment for everyone - well, except for the government asshats that make the pawns use it.

@dru18 People die in this country NOT having any kind of medical insurance.

Who? That's always a liberal talking point myth until they are asked, "Who has died?"
In this country, anyone who has a life threatening condition can walk into a hospital, and the tab is always picked up by the hospital or taxpayers.
I don't even hear of illegals dying Dru, because if you have been to an emergency room, it is often filled with illegals who don't speak English, don't have insurance, claim to not have any money, and don't expect to pay.

@JustJimColo Who? That's always a liberal talking point myth until they are asked, "Who has died?" In this country, anyone...

If you have an illness such as diabetes, cancer, or if your child does, those treatments will not be done without insurance....many folks had insurance companies cancel them because of chronic or catastaphoric conditions. Before the aca.
Or have a condition, oops, company is downsizing. You have lost your job. Get a new job, but golly gee, pre-existing condition, not covered. Ive seen that, too.
So yes, people who have no coverage, die.

They also dont do preventative maintainance. When they do finally get to a hospital, it ends up costing more than a trip to a gp would have.

People have lost thier savings, homes, etc, because of hospital bills.

Have you ever been without insurance, jim? Needed to see a specialist? I have known those who have been in that position.

@Carla If you have an illness such as diabetes, cancer, or if your child does, those treatments will not be done without...

There was a time when I was without insurance many many years ago when I had just transitioned from military to civilian. I had spinal meningitis. It took all of my savings, but I paid the entire bill out of my pocket, not someone else's. There comes a time when everyone must pay their own way. Now, I am paying my own as well as someone else.
I've seen people driving new cars, have satellite TV, smart phones with internet and many other luxuries, who say they can't afford insurance. It's all about setting your priorities.

@JustJimColo There was a time when I was without insurance many many years ago when I had just transitioned from military to...

Seems like you would have had va benefits that would have gotten you through a major illness.
But, for younger folks, they dont understand that priority until its too late.

Bottom line, imo, healthcare should be a right. Every other major nation in the world thinks so too. But we do not. And we are the wealthiest. We should be ashamed

@Carla Seems like you would have had va benefits that would have gotten you through a major illness. But, for younger...

The Countries that have healthcare that is totally supplied by the government is actually pretty small. The idea that the rest of the world has all encompassing healthcare is a myth Carla.

Single Payer: The government provides insurance for all residents (or citizens) and pays all health care expenses except for co-pays and coinsurance. Providers may be public, private, or a combination of both.

Two-Tier: The government provides or mandates catastrophic or minimum insurance coverage for all residents (or citizens), while allowing the purchase of additional voluntary insurance or fee-for service care when desired. In Singapore all residents receive a catastrophic policy from the government coupled with a health savings account that they use to pay for routine care. In other countries like Ireland and Israel, the government provides a core policy which the majority of the population supplement with private insurance.

Insurance Mandate: The government mandates that all citizens purchase insurance, whether from private, public, or non-profit insurers. In some cases the insurer list is quite restrictive, while in others a healthy private market for insurance is simply regulated and standardized by the government. In this kind of system insurers are barred from rejecting sick individuals, and individuals are required to purchase insurance, in order to prevent typical health care market failures from arising.

Country Start Date of Universal Health Care System Type

Norway 1912 Single Payer
New Zealand 1938 Two Tier
Japan 1938 Single Payer
Germany 1941 Insurance Mandate
Belgium 1945 Insurance Mandate
United Kingdom 1948 Single Payer
Kuwait 1950 Single Payer
Sweden 1955 Single Payer
Bahrain 1957 Single Payer
Brunei 1958 Single Payer
Canada 1966 Single Payer
Netherlands 1966 Two-Tier
Austria 1967 Insurance Mandate
United Arab Emirates 1971 Single Payer
Finland 1972 Single Payer
Slovenia 1972 Single Payer
Denmark 1973 Two-Tier
Luxembourg 1973 Insurance Mandate
France 1974 Two-Tier
Australia 1975 Two Tier
Ireland 1977 Two-Tier
Italy 1978 Single Payer
Portugal 1979 Single Payer
Cyprus 1980 Single Payer
Greece 1983 Insurance Mandate
Spain 1986 Single Payer
South Korea 1988 Insurance Mandate
Iceland 1990 Single Payer
Hong Kong 1993 Two-Tier
Singapore 1993 Two-Tier
Switzerland 1994 Insurance Mandate
Israel 1995 Two-Tier

Jim, before the ACA, women had to pay three times as much a man, and people were denied, if they had a pre-existing condition.

And you could work THREE jobs, and not have be able to afford insurance. Before Obama, people could only get Medicaid if they were dirt poor, like 600 or less a month. Expanding Medicaid has allowed people to take on jobs, and better jobs, at that.

Is the ACA perfect? No. But it needs to stay in place.

@JustJimColo Ans since the ACA, my premiums have doubled.

I understand, that is why the ACA has to be fixed, not eliminated.

@dru18 I understand, that is why the ACA has to be fixed, not eliminated.

Have you noticed that women pay a lot less for life insurance then men? They also pay a lot less for auto insurance than a man.
Insurance costs are based on statistics. A smoker pays more for insurance than a non smoker. Did you know that many life insurance companies won't cover a soldiers death if he or she is killed in combat?
If a person is a higher risk, their premiums are going to be higher. That's just the way it works. If a woman is going to statistically have more medical costs during her lifetime than a man, is it unreasonable that she pays more for insurance? Is it unreasonable that a man who is statistically more likely to have accidents than a woman, pay higher car insurance? (Or a person who has had 10 speeding tickets having to pay more?)

No, it is not. I have had great insurance, crappy insurance, and NO insurance. And yes, there is a difference. They are bound by law to give you the min treatment in the ER. They are not required to admit you. And yes, the ER visit, if gone unpaid,, is picked up by the tax payers.

@dru18 No, it is not. I have had great insurance, crappy insurance, and NO insurance. And yes, there is a difference. They...

Who has died because they didn't have insurance Dru? You just agreed that anyone can go to the ER for free.
I have great insurance, and when I go to the ER, I may have a 2 - 4 hour wait, behind those who have no intention of paying. It might still cost me a thousand dollars when I check out.

@JustJimColo Who has died because they didn't have insurance Dru? You just agreed that anyone can go to the ER for free. I have...

Even more reason for these folks to get universal care, or keep a plan, like the ACA, in place.

They take people in the order of greater emergency, to less. Which is how they should.

WHO HAD DIED??!!

Not for that kid in England! A government death panel pronounced that he is not worth saving.

Yeah, especially those who got their insurance taken away from them because of Obamacare rules. The famous lie Obama told "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor". And don't forget the famous Nancy Pelosi ultimatum "We have to pass Obamacare so we can find out what's in it!"

@goblue1968 Yeah, especially those who got their insurance taken away from them because of Obamacare rules. The famous lie...

And let's not forget the famous Trump's intelligent comment.
"Who knew healthcare was so hard?"

@dru18 And let's not forget the famous Trump's intelligent comment. "Who knew healthcare was so hard?"

I'd rather hear someone say, "Who knew healthcare was so hard?", than have to pay the bill after liberals decided. "Those those who work, should pay for everything that those who don't work, and don't pay taxes, want."

Well, thanks to democrats, we're all stuck with Obamacare - lots of places with no coverage at all.

Thank goodness President Trump and republicans are looking at ways to rid us of Obamacare!

[PS - Lot's of people die with insurance too. Having insurance is not immortality.] [immortality means that you never die.]

@Budwick Well, thanks to democrats, we're all stuck with Obamacare - lots of places with no coverage at all. Thank...

"...looking for ways..? They have already been ruining it, by hinting they will hold back any kind of funding. That is why the insurance agencies are bailing, and the market is becoming unstable.

Now these same morons want to repeal it, with no replacement. Won't fly. Then you really will see the market become unstable, premiums soar, while the insurance agencies take advantage.

Nope, the Republicans now own it. And they will pay a terrible price.

@Budwick Those bastards! They HINTED?

Budwick, are you purposely trying to be an insensitive,clueless, ass, or can you not help it?

@dru18 Budwick, are you purposely trying to be an insensitive,clueless, ass, or can you not help it?

DD - Wake up! That little kid had a death panel give him a death sentence. That's OUR future if we keep this fascination with socialized medicine.

@Budwick DD - Wake up! That little kid had a death panel give him a death sentence. That's OUR future if we keep this...

Nope, wrong again. And we will become a country with Socialized Medicine. It is just a matter of time.

@Budwick Socialized medicine blows. People die waiting for doctor appointments. It's equally crappy medical treatment for...

It also depends on your age and how viable you are. If you are elderly, forget about good treatment. It's all about the cha-ching. You're right it blows.

@2602604

Leave it to the fanatical right to twist things.

@2603733

If you are guilty in twisting, I would say that lowers your credibility score.

Socialized healthcare doesn't work. Socialized healthcare murders.

@2602374

You know it is the truth.

@2602372

Prove this wrong.

Anonymous