"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law." (1 Corintians 14:34) Is it okay for women to be members of the clergy and lead church services? Why or why not?

Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? -Paul (1 Corinthians 14:34-36)

Image for post "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law." (1 Corintians 14:34) Is it okay for women to be members of the clergy and lead church services? Why or why not?
50% It's okay, here's why: 50% It's not okay, here's why: 0% Other
Mazes avatar Religion
2 18

That has certainly changed in the church I grew up with...I laughed so hard the day I heard they got a female reverend...I never thought that day would come...

It's all about women having periods. Men don't know what to do with that.

I think it's funny that at the end, Paul's like "What? You think you know better than God?" Like, he knew his words would meet resistance.

Personally, I'm in favor of gender equality as a general principle in society, but I don't think a person can defy their faith and also be a representative of it. To do so is hypocritical.

@Carla So is the reason that most christians are hypocrits.

The reason is that lately, church leaders have been more interested in pleasing the world than pleasing God.

@Carla Church leaders have been pleasing themselves and the powers that be for, forever.

And hence the fall of the church. If someone is unwilling to obey the founding statutes of their faith, what business do they have leading it?

@2603143

Kind of, I got the impression you were saying that since it's in the OT, it should be disregarded. It's in both Testaments actually, and while not enforced among parishioners, women were not allowed to become clergy until recently.

Lesbian bishop: 'Remove crosses from church'
Plan is to make Swedish city more inviting to Muslims
http://www.wnd.com/2015/10/lesb...s-from-church/

@2603638

"I could tell you how you're wrong, but I'd be BANNED FROM THE SITE... because the man don't want me to clarify!"

Clarifying your assertion would primarily mean that you'd have to back it up with some kind of evidence.

because that is a sexist passage written by ancient low intelligence bigoted men, and anyone who holds that belief has the same value and intelligence as the average angry youtube comment.

TomboyJanets avatar TomboyJanet It's okay, here's why: +1Reply
@Maze Thank you for confirming the virtue of the Law.

so speaking up for my gender is bad? This is the consummate ideology of the oppressor: keep em silent so they not question their subordination.

TomboyJanets avatar TomboyJanet It's okay, here's why: 0Reply
@TomboyJanet so speaking up for my gender is bad? This is the consummate ideology of the oppressor: keep em silent so they not...

People like you ruin everything. Is it that you're a woman, or just a froward, destructive personality? I'm not sure, but the church would normally be protected from your negative influence by the fact you're a woman. So you reveal the merit of the Law, and I thank you for that.

@Maze People like you ruin everything. Is it that you're a woman, or just a froward, destructive personality? I'm not...

So you are saying women are horrible people? The bible is a book written by tyrants to bind their subjects to them with false claims of divine laws. There are passages in it to use divinity as a shield to back up slavery, forcing women into submission against their will, and ensuring only certain people rise above the rest. It is actually ingenious as a tool of oppression and you are waving it's banner. Congratulations maze, you are pro tyranny.

@TomboyJanet So you are saying women are horrible people? The bible is a book written by tyrants to bind their subjects to them...

It's not tyranny, we're not talking about gender equality in society as a whole, we're talking about maintaining the traditions of our faith in church, and participation in church is voluntary, and traditionally there was a lot of female participation in church, just not in leadership.

Look, we are all called upon to submit to God's will by upholding the ways and traditions of our faith, if we break those traditions in order to please the fashion of the time, we're putting God second, and it's been known for a long time that isn't a good idea.

"If you fear the Lord and serve and obey him and do not rebel against his commands, and if both you and the king who reigns over you follow the Lord your God—good! But if you do not obey the Lord, and if you rebel against his commands, his hand will be against you, as it was against your ancestors." 1 Samuel 12:14

World's First Openly Lesbian Bishop to Remove Crosses, Build Islamic Prayer Room in Swedish Church
http://www.christianpost.com/ne...church-147095/

Anonymous