Is dropping out a year from school to pursue a dream opportunity a good idea?

Image for post **Is dropping out a year from school to pursue a dream opportunity a good idea?**
Sukiesnows avatar Music
Share
10 24

Just know...theirs a fine line between that and flipping hamburgers at McDonalds..

Image in content

@DandyDon Just know...theirs a fine line between that and flipping hamburgers at...

There's

Wouldn't want someone to toss and turn all not, losing sleep from that.
Could miss their dream..

No, a person needs that education, in case the dream doesn't materialize.

Absolutely. Sometimes opportunities only show themselves once. If it doesnt work out, you can go back to school.

These days missing your last year of high school has a lot more implications than it used to, but it really could be worth it for the right opportunity. There are actors who have taken on a huge role so have deferred their final high school year, or young business entrepreneurs that have invented something and found they have a great opportunity to pursue etc. Most still finish school later though.

@Carla I was thinking college.....

Ah ok, i started college late as I got the opportunity to play in a band on a cruise ship so I did that then finished College afterwards. Financially it wasn't the best move, but it was a great adventure.

@OzSurfer Ah ok, i started college late as I got the opportunity to play in a band on a cruise ship so I did that then...

The sort of opportunity that is rare. You would have spent your life kicking yourself a bit if you hadnt taken it.

@Carla The sort of opportunity that is rare. You would have spent your life kicking yourself a bit if you hadnt taken it.

You are right about that. Life is about risks and taking the safest path could result in a safe well planned life that lacks substance and experiences. But as my old stock broker used to say, only consider taking a risk if you can live with the worst case scenario, don't base it on the potential best outcome. The latter is what international drug couriers do.

"Do what you like" is the only advice worth listening to.

How much of what you learned at school do you actually use in everyday life?

School is simply an indoctrination into the mechanism that we call society anyway.

Ok, I admit it is not quite that simple, but schooling at present, at least here, is a joke.

As far as high school, I personally don't think it's a good idea. Most kids who drop out rarely ever go back. High school is the fundamentals of education. College or University is a different story, many have left to try the workplace and have gone back to get themselves a degree.

This comment was deleted by its author.
@2606729

Someone related to me is doing that: he wants to be an architect....but he thought he would take a year off and work for a Contractor.

This comment was deleted by its author.
@2606788

You know what they say about hindsight...

My bil in Construction in the US has made a killing....

This comment was deleted by its author.
@2606798

What brought that on?

This comment was deleted by its author.
@2606832

Your comment...

You did okay with a decent job....

This comment was deleted by its author.
@2606839

I like the one at Honey Harbour.

Are they retired living facilities?

This comment was deleted by its author.
@2606849

It might help if we actually bought lottery tix.

It has been known for a very long time that small business owners have a 20% chance of success, but if they are immigrants who never went through America schools, they are 80% to 100% successful. Looking at the Americans, the successful ones tend to be grammar school dropouts, and the earlier they drop out, the more likely they are to succeed.

Now tell me about this "education" meme of which you seem to think so highly.

Anonymous