0

Eastern cooking is more flavourful than Western. But I don't get Eastern desserts. Having plain rice as part of a dessert...just doesn't seem right.

What else have I had as Eastern desserts that I pretended to like? There are prunes that taste like licorice...those were weird...and fried bananas...I'd rather have a fried Mars bar...and rose water? Rose water has a place in my life but as a spray for my face...and what about desserts using milk? Milk is great...when it's like creme fraiche...or ice cream...but not BOILED milk that you might feed an infant... It's all stems down to how clever and practical Eastern cultures are: life needs preserving...and to help do that...every course was made with life in mind...whereas we, in the West generally just want to gratify our cravings...

Image for post **Eastern cooking is more flavourful than Western. But I don't get Eastern desserts.** //Having plain rice as part of a dessert...just doesn't seem right.//
Sukiesnows avatar Countries & Places
7 17
@2607979

Your sentence in Quotes...did I write that?

I found the desserts in India nice...dessert is dessert after all, but when you think of boiling down milk and adding sugar - then deep fry it....plus rose water syrup....I have a difficult time thinking of that as a real dessert...

But then I have difficulty in thinking of fruit as a dessert...to me fruit can be a meal!

I am not a world dessert connoisseur, but I love a fully loaded banana split or a pineapple upside down cake. To my taste buds those are very flavorful.

@2607968

Who is making your steaks? You can cut mine with a fork.

@2608047

Hmmm.
I dont eat alot of beef either. When i do, i want a good quality and i want it cooked properly. That usually means i cook.

@Carla On the rare side of medium rare.

I like medium...when it gets too rare it gets soggy...

But it still takes a good set of teeth to chew and chew and chew...any steak...

@2608061

Yes. Chicken. There are just so many ways to prepare it. Not a big fan of turkey. But fish is one of my staples, too.

I guess it depends on where in the west you may be.
Some are raised with food being fuel, bland flavors and know nothing else.
Midwestern america, for instance.

Some of us discover flavor, and look at food from a different perspective.