**Do people have to know you in order to get your sense of humour? And it's not that easy online sometimes...

Since it's not always easy to get to know someone online...it's also a challenge to understand someone's sense of humour....and then it's territorial, too... Not everyone is from your environment; meaning they don't always understand the words that crack you up...

Image for post **Do people have to know you in order to get your sense of humour? //And it's not that easy online sometimes...//
Sukiesnows avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
8 19

I don't joke online much since I know this...and if I ever do I generally have to say jj or something...which feels self-defeating with a joke.

But..like really, how many posts or comments have you made where everyone takes it the wrong way?

Ive been mistaken plenty. I try to remember to put a grin in when im not being serious.

I don't know Sukie. Do you get me? I think if we're face to face, everyone gets it. Here? People take jokes as insults.

@JerryHendrickson I don't know Sukie. Do you get me? I think if we're face to face, everyone gets it. Here? People take jokes as...

Sometimes when I think someone is joking on here they tell me later they were being serious...and vice versa.

@JerryHendrickson I love you and most everyone else here, so if you know that? Build on that trust.

Thank you! Ditto.

I also take for granted that even if I do take something other than it ought to be taken...it won't be held against me...

Besides...who's responsibility is it? Is it the responsibility of the person typing the words that should communicate the joke? Yes...it is...since it is the person who perceives that takes that perception based on their life...but it is not their responsibility to "get" a joke....

I agree with that, I base the same process on just comments in general. If someone I know is a good person on here, if there are two ways to take what they're saying, I always take it the well-intentioned way or at most i might ask them to rephrase it or something.

@Sukiesnow Sometimes when I think someone is joking on here they tell me later they were being serious...and vice versa.

Well, perception within the written word is SO complicated. You can't see the look on my face, how can you know what I really feel? You just take my word for it. Hopefully, you trust me as an honest man.

@2608307

That is how i hear that show too....

My sense of humour can be a bit off putting at times.There have been times online when I have given a humorous answer that people from the other side of the pond haven't got but the Brits thought was hilarious.Or humorous answers have been taken deadly seriously.But people who get used to me generally get there eventually!

@ThePrinceofWales My sense of humour can be a bit off putting at times.There have been times online when I have given a humorous...

You are an enigma to us, Blewy... You blow in and out of here so fast that getting to know you might take some time...but we might get there eventually...:)

I can have a sarcastic sense of humour that can come across as being serious if someone doesn't know me or can see my face when I'm talking, so i don't let it out on here. Probably replying to zonkey's posts is as close as it gets as I know he gets it.

Not sure. I can't type sarcastically so I stay away from that. Ditto irony.

Nothing can be more misconstrued then a text.