You are born; other people meet your needs. You grow up and then spend the rest of your life meeting other people's needs. Is this what life is about?

Image for post **You are born; other people meet your needs. You grow up and then spend the rest of your life meeting other people's needs.** //Is this what life is about?//
Sukiesnows avatar Life
7 14

Never thought of it that way, but I agree. Once you become a certain age you're expected to be self-sufficient. To have enough income to be self-sufficient you must offer a product or service people are willing to pay for.

I guess you could choose to be dependent on the generosity of others. I don't know anyone who has done that though.

@PhilboydStudge Never thought of it that way, but I agree. Once you become a certain age you're expected to be self-sufficient...

I agree, and if it all goes wrong somewhere along the way, people look down on you like there's something wrong with you.

No. If all your time is spent meeting the needs of others you need to make a change.

Life is about human interaction. Relationships. Family, friends, lovers, etc... The idea is to support each other. Meet their needs as they meet yours. A one sided relationship where one person does all the giving while getting nothing in return is a form of emotional slavery.

All of that happens to some extent, but there's plenty of room for taking care of your own needs along the way.

That's not my life.

Pretty much sums it up

I see it as more of a give and take thing.

I think that's the way it is supposed to be. Unfortunately, there are many people who never get past stage 1 and think others should support and take care of them forever.

As I get older, I get better at meeting and taking care of my own needs. I think maturity lets us be happy helping people and not resent it.

unless you're rich enough to not need a job i guess

That is the Christian viewpoint, but of course there is always somebody who thinks they have a better idea. Funny how they only get their better ideas after somebody has taken care of their needs.

Anonymous