+5

My secret to a healthy vegetable garden that I should have shared with you 2 months ago.

Years ago my wife came up with the idea of tilling up the ground and lacing is with earthworm eggs. The result is extremely fertile soil that is naturally aerated with large plants that produce many beautiful veggies, especially when considering the small amount of space I need. It really works.

Image for post My secret to a healthy vegetable garden that I should have shared with you 2 months ago.
JerryHendricksons avatar People & Celebrities
3 13

This sounds both good and disgusting...:)

@Sukiesnow This sounds both good and disgusting...:)

That's how nature works Sukie, it may seem icky to you but it's good for the plants, a lot of the delicious veggies and fruits you enjoy were fertilized one way or another, be it with worms or animal poo.

No better friend to the garden than the earthworm! This is the first I'd heard about purchasing the eggs, but I'm grateful for the tip. a smilie

Someone's got a green thumb!

I do something similar, except my earthworms occur naturally in my compost piles which are added to the garden beds.

I didn't even know you could get earthworm eggs. I googled, and sure as shootin' - Cartons of eggs from Gardener Supply!

@Budwick I do something similar, except my earthworms occur naturally in my compost piles which are added to the garden...

My tomato plants are over 5' tall and loaded with tomatoes. the cages won't even hold them up anymore. I had to drive those green, steel fence posts into the ground and tie the cages to them.

@JerryHendrickson My tomato plants are over 5' tall and loaded with tomatoes. the cages won't even hold them up anymore. I had to...

Wow! Proof in the pudding! Good for you guys. Do you guys can your maters? Mrs. Budwick makes terrific spaghetti and other tomato sauces, and they're 10X better with home grown tomatoes. Makes it worth the effort to can 'em.

@Budwick Wow! Proof in the pudding! Good for you guys. Do you guys can your maters? Mrs. Budwick makes terrific...

Yes I do; although, I've still got a lot from last year so I'm growing less tomatoes and more peppers this year. I ran out of peppers over the winter; it won't happen this time.

@Budwick OK, Now you're just showing off!

I did something stupid this year. The plants at the farm market said cucumber. Now I have 4 eggplant plants instead. No pickles this year. They do look just like cuke plans when they're tiny.