Who is the oldest friend (Not a relative) that you still keep in touch with regularly, either on social media or in person? How many years?

The oldest friend I still stay in touch with was a girl next door who I grew up with. Although I haven't lived near her since I was 11, we still stay in touch. 56 years of friendship.

JustJimColos avatar Life
9 21

About 35 years.

Don and I meet when I was in college, he was my manager for my part time job and we became good friends. We live 2000 miles apart and see each other about once a year.

About two decades / usually once in a year. At the moment, though, we are currently living relatively close to each other, after my move. So far, we haven't had the time to set up a meeting. Oh, forgot the name: Hannu (a Disney character - Gladstone...)

It's probably a friend from school that I still keep in touch with. I think it's been about 13-14 years.

There is also a friend I met online, that I still keep in touch with. Maybe for a bit longer.

Since my jr high friend of 50 years died a few years back, I'd have to go with my friends of about 35 years. It's time to go to AZ and go horseback riding with them again.

My best friend for over 20 years. We speak almost every day.

I have two friends, brother and sister that i have known since we were all teens but they are both married with families now so I get to say hi to them on facebook occasionally but nothing in person anymore.

@OzSurfer I have two friends, brother and sister that i have known since we were all teens but they are both married with...

Seems like that happens a lot. I only stay in touch with one friend from HS. (and he is divorced)

@JustJimColo Seems like that happens a lot. I only stay in touch with one friend from HS. (and he is divorced)

Yes I think it's because once they have families, they tend to mix with other families. It's a shame because I miss my friends from back then.

@OzSurfer Yes I think it's because once they have families, they tend to mix with other families. It's a shame because I...

A single guy is always going to be the odd man out in those situations. The distance gets even greater after they have kids.

@OzSurfer You're right about that, that's what I've found.

I've even seen it happen between friends if one gets divorced and re-married. Strange dynamics. New spouse doesn't always want outside ties to old spouse' friends.

@JustJimColo I've even seen it happen between friends if one gets divorced and re-married. Strange dynamics. New spouse doesn't...

That's my theory too. When I was married, my best friend and i were still friends because we were both couples, but when I lost my partner, I was never invited over again, same with all my friends. People often talk about being happy being single, but I don't think they realise that it means losing friends as well as a romantic partner.

@OzSurfer That's my theory too. When I was married, my best friend and i were still friends because we were both couples...

Interpersonal dynamics with others, change when you have a change in your life. A relationship with someone you've known for years can end if they discover you are pro-life, or pro-choice, or switch parties. People like to spend time with others who are "like them".

@JustJimColo Interpersonal dynamics with others, change when you have a change in your life. A relationship with someone you've...

I'd never thought about it in quite those terms but yes you're right. We almost need a questionnaire to hand out to friends or prospective ones to cover all the important areas, especially over here as religion and politics are rarely discussed amongst friends.

Pablo, my imaginary friend, he has been with me since day dot.

We became friends between 2nd and 3rd grade. About 25 years

A gentleman I worked with. Forty years. We met for dinner a week ago. It was great. Nothing changed in the way we talked.

Jefferson and I have been best friends for 25 years now. We met when I was 13 because he saved me from a school bully. I am the Godmother of his little girl and he is the Godfather of my children. We have had a lot of crazy adventures together. He is an honorary member of the family. I tell people he is my brother and he tells people I am his sister. My parents thought the world of him.

🦋