When you're emotional (sad, pissed and such) does speaking helps you calm down?

Speaking with a friend or a psychologist or a complete stranger or even your pet.

35% Yes 20% No 40% Sometimes 0% I don't know, I've never tried it 5% Other
Sofias avatar Life
10 33

It normally depends on the person.

I know the whole "getting a different perspective from someone else", but you can do that yourself. Speaking about something that happen reminds me of the "reading out loud when studying to help you understand better the information" technique. Isn't speaking about what happened a way for you to better deal with the "information" you have? It works now and then.

Sofias avatar Sofia Sometimes +8Reply
@2612651

Completely understand that one.

ozzyboys avatar ozzyboy Sometimes +2Reply

Yes speaking about a problem always helps me. I struggle with friends and partners who withdraw and go silent when they are stressed or have an issue.

Yes. When i am mad at myself, i sometimes call myself a name or two. And i have broken my hand, punching a pole barn post. But im not a violent person.

When i am angry with someone else, talking it out with that person is how i handle it.

When im sad, i keep it in.

@2612569

I've heard breaking stuff also helps.

Not sure I'm inclined to break my stuff though, since I paid for it and all that.

Sofias avatar Sofia Sometimes +3Reply
@2612572

Loool xD That would do it.

Sofias avatar Sofia Sometimes +2Reply

If I am really upset...it helps to express myself....

@Sukiesnow If I am really upset...it helps to express myself....

I found out how helpful that was. We had three deaths in a row of family I loved, they were living with me and under my care. I was crying about it to a psychiatrist about how I had failed them, as I couldn't keep them with us. She was silent. When she finally spoke, she said how arrogant my line of thinking was. She asked if I had a higher power that would allow me that gift. I was angry at first. Later I realized she was right, that little talk of ours helped me tremendously later on.

@BarbOBarr I found out how helpful that was. We had three deaths in a row of family I loved, they were living with me and...

Yes...I can see that some types of upsetness can carry arrogance... Like...what gives me the right to think I can be blamed for what happens in the Universe?

I like to talk about issues more than just fake it till I make it

I usually count to two billion.

I always get bored somewhere in the middle.

No, when I'm mad I usually cry, then that makes me madder. Or when I'm sad, I cry. I'm too emotional.

I lose myself in music for a while. I usually fell better when I come back to the real world. I may still be pissed but not as much.

ozzyboys avatar ozzyboy Sometimes +3Reply

It depends, sometimes I just avoid people until whatever is upsetting me has passed.

Please login or signup to leave a comment.