VicZincs avatar
6 39
@2613556

But do you want the government make the choice for you?

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +1Reply
@2613783

Thank you.

I do doubt that this "crisis" of opioid addiction and deaths is a government concoction. The majority of those deaths though, are due to illicit drugs people acquire. I figure everybody knows that already, but just throwing it in away.
It has become both concerning and ridiculous though, how many doctors are hesitant to prescribe pain medication when people actually need it for pain issues. I know this to be true, and I agree that even IF a person does becomes addicted to a substance, it is no one's business except that person and those who care about them, unless they commit a crime.

Piper2s avatar Piper2 Yeah You Are +3Reply

I didn't see opiod when I first read your question. Opiods = oxi I had that once, it did nothing for my pain, so I went back to just dealing with it. I think people need to understand there will be some pain as long as you live, so deal.

Bad drugs are illegal for a reason - just like illegal aliens.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Bad drugs are illegal for a reason - just like illegal aliens.

Except these drugs are legal and prescribed, yet the government wants to shame those who take them and punish doctors for prescribing them.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +2Reply
@VicZinc Except these drugs are legal and prescribed, yet the government wants to shame those who take them and punish...

Vic....doctors are far too anxious to prescribe these drugs. They had me dosed so high for so long it was quite literally killing me. It is a 16 year story.

I ended up in a rehab, as the doctors who got me there couldnt and wouldnt get me home. But they were willing to continue prescribing these drugs until i died. Quite willing.

Many people i met, mostly heroin addicts, got there by first either being prescribed or by snatching their familys opiod medications.
When a doc decides you are no longer in need of pain meds, they take the script away. For many, it already has them.

So......in the end, in many cases, it points directly to the prescribing physician.

@Carla Vic....doctors are far too anxious to prescribe these drugs. They had me dosed so high for so long it was quite...

Carla I am sorry you went through that and I can image how difficult it must have been, I have no doubt that there are doctors caving to the pressure from pharmaceutical companies to prescribe these drugs, and then caving to government and media pundits to stop prescribing these drugs.

Didn't these doctors ever hear of titration? [Titration is used in a medical sense to figure out drug dosages: The goal is to take as little of a drug as possible to get the desired effect and to see how much of a drug your body can handle before the side effects outweigh the benefit of the drug. Every doctor I have ever been to has titrated every drug ever prescribed and then followed up every few months with additional dose changes as needed.]

1) How about if doctors do their job? We (tax payers for the most part) pay them enough.

2) How about if we try consistency in our policies:
if abortion is between a woman and her doctor (see many liberal policy statement),
and life and death decisions are between the doctor and the family (see many conservative policy statements),
then how about if government stays out of the less weighty subject of medication control decisions?

What is this, a 'free market' when we like what we agree with other peoples choices, and a 'command and control society' when we disagree with those choices?

Sounds like you managed to overcome your difficulty without seeking government intervention. (I hope you also found a new doctor as well.)

@VicZinc Carla I am sorry you went through that and I can image how difficult it must have been, I have no doubt that there...

Titration. Of course. But by the time i had enough, i was at dosages that are given to patients in end of life circumstances. And when a person with chronic issues has been on opiods for that long, these drugs begin to amplify the problem. So it is either larger doses, or seek new avenues. But...by then, your body is ravaged and it is next to impossible to rid yourself of that particular poison without professional help.

The federal government already is involved in the practices of physicians. The dea regularly audits pain clinics, hospitals and doctors that operate with federal funding.

The problem is, doctors are dead against alternative and holistic methods. It is all...all about the bottom line. It has little to do with the patients health.

I agree with your take on privatized prison systems.

But...most of the young people in the rehab i was in were put there instead of jail, many after dui arrests. All seemed intent on kicking their addictions.

But what of those who wish to kick that arent arrested and have no insurance? Without my health insurance, i would have had to pay a huge sum to be there. The same with my in house companions. It was there if they had the means, or jail.

And, yes. I found a new doctor...myself.

@Carla Titration. Of course. But by the time i had enough, i was at dosages that are given to patients in end of life...

I support universal health care. I don't support governments and media pundits attempting to tell doctors and patients which course of treatments are 'best for everyone' or which treatments are moral and which are amoral.

Anyone who wants to get of drugs should have full financial support to do so and I am more than willing to pay more taxes to make it so.

What I am not willing to do is support a regime that forces doctors to stop prescribing opioids - that will only force more people to seek street drug solutions.

I am convinced that codeine should available OTC as it is in many other countries.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +4Reply
@VicZinc I support universal health care. I don't support governments and media pundits attempting to tell doctors and...

Physicians still prescribe pain meds.
They dont let people suffer.

I suppose i dont look at how the government or media catogorizes people like me. Amoral, ya think?
Many of those peoples wives, husbands, sons, daughters, cousins and mothers have an opiod addiction.

Bottom line, physicians over medicate. Patients follow their specialists advise.

If there becomes a problem, all people should have access to the proper help.
And their prescribing physicians should be just as eager to help a patient find that help as they were to precribe the meds.

I have a soapbox...i will stay down.
So, yes.....no judgement, and yes no thumbs.

I'm impressed with how quickly you managed to get over Carla's addiction story. I could feel the empathy - no, wait, not empathy, more like discomfort as you twist your way into doing a bit of shaming yourself! Doctors caving to pressure, not using titration, doctors not doing their jobs, and a heart felt 'atta girl' to boot.

@VicZinc And your answer? (toss her in jail with her doctor?)

Yes, - that's exactly what I said - I mean it's right there in imagination and hatred for the right.

Americans are over medicated. Doctors have been prescribing pain meds for the littlest things and patients get addicted. When the drug is no longer accessible, they turn to street drugs. Perhaps you've seen reports of skyrocketing heroin overdose deaths.

Shaming drug users? Is that what the kids are calling 'getting arrested' these days?

Doctors that abuse the prescription pad should be punished.

@Budwick Americans are over medicated. Doctors have been prescribing pain meds for the littlest things and patients get...

Oh I've seen them. Guess what? If the docs keep subscribing the meds the patients wouldn't turn to heroin. Why did they stop prescribing them? Because conservatives shamed the the docs into thinking they were "abusing the prescription pad". Keep your nose out of other people medical decisions.

@VicZinc Oh I've seen them. Guess what? If the docs keep subscribing the meds the patients wouldn't turn to heroin. Why...

There lies the conundrum.
There are good, sound, compassionate reasons to prescribe opiod meds. Or any drug, really.
The question is how long? Can different measures do the job now? Opiods are no picnic to be taken off of. Even after one week, for many.
Here i start to go again....my bad.

" Keep your nose out of other people medical decisions." - a little consistency would be nice.

It's not all neat and tidy like a brain with no original ideas. Caral's got it right. 'There lies the conundrum.
The question is how long? Can different measures do the job now? Opiods are no picnic to be taken off of. Even after one week, for many.'

@VicZinc So you want a senator to decide how long?

So, you want untold numbers of people over medicated and addicted?

[Equally obtuse of a response as yours.]

@Budwick So, you want untold numbers of people over medicated and addicted? [Equally obtuse of a response as yours.]

I want people to be free to choose their own path. Just like Carla (and Rush Limbaugh, and thousands of others).

And frankly I don't care if they are medicated and/or addicted - they and their doctor can discuss it - it is none of my business.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Budwick So, you are against Obamacare too! Cool! That's refreshing.

I had assumed you didn't understand Obama care, thanks for confirming.

@Budwick Great tactic Vic! When you don't know, lie.

Oh Bud. You know I can't lie, that would require that something be 'true' and nothing is.

@Budwick If nothing is true, then neither is that statement. Check and mate!

Crazy isn't it? It is called a self-referential paradox and it actually proves that everything you know it wrong.

morality does not come from laws, rather laws are made based on morality, I agree to a certain degree about drugs, however, like it or not laws are based on morality, when it strays away, we get societies like nazi germany or USSR, or Rome as it collapsed,

@2613551

Thank you

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yeah You Are +3Reply
Anonymous