How much of your perception allows for transgenders...at this point of time...? Understanding the deviation from the "norm" can be a stretch...

Are they misfits or real people with issues to you... Sometimes new, different categories of types take a while to adjust to....

Image for post **How much of your perception allows for transgenders...at this point of time...?** //Understanding the deviation from the "norm" can be a stretch...//
Sukiesnows avatar Life
9 79

Accepting and promoting are different to me. I'll accept anyone that wants to be a good neighbor/citizen. I don't need or want to make judgements on what they feel sexually. I'd like to mind my own business and would appreciate other people not over sharing their business.

@2613932

No argument there.

@Will_Janitor Accepting and promoting are different to me. I'll accept anyone that wants to be a good neighbor/citizen. I don't...

Gee, Will, you and Vic have wrapped up this question so totally...like, why are we even discussing it?

Obviously there are only a fraction of you two out there...or why would an Olympic star coming out as a woman cause so much consternation? And while I applaud the attitude which is based on some understanding...there are also practicalities which are being over looked.

@Carla Practicalities?

Facilities...change-rooms at the gym.

@Sukiesnow Facilities...change-rooms at the gym.

Ive been thinking on this, sukie. If a transexual is in your gyms locker room, who is it bothering? You? And if so, why?
Do you think it rubs off? Or do you think you will be molested? What is it that offends people so?

@Carla Ive been thinking on this, sukie. If a transexual is in your gyms locker room, who is it bothering? You? And if so...

If Bruce Jenner was in my change room in the gym...I might feel uncomfortable undressing...if not me than some people might.

It was bad enough when they did renos once...and we had to switch to the men's...we got separate times to use the men's...but still people of course, forgot and would wander in during the women's time in the men's change room... Screams...and shrieks ensued... It was fun... (Don't tell anyone)

@Sukiesnow If Bruce Jenner was in my change room in the gym...I might feel uncomfortable undressing...if not me than some...

I would have to believe that a trangender person, even jenner, would remain discrete. The point is to be comfortable. Drawing attention would defeat the purpose.

@Sukiesnow Gee, Will, you and Vic have wrapped up this question so totally...like, why are we even discussing it? Obviously...

I think you have to consider that Jenner was a Kardashian from a long time. That had to have some affect on his marbles. :)

@2614263

Yes...and that is partially what this post is attempting to address.

@2613867

Oh hey...it's not me...there are many ppl out there who still see homosexuality as wrong. There are ppl on here (who aren't speaking up - of course) who might think that way...

The point is to have them see in a different way...altho if they are steeped in some orthodox religion...well...change of viewpoint might just never happen.

@Sukiesnow Oh hey...it's not me...there are many ppl out there who still see homosexuality as wrong. There are ppl on here...

But it is your post and you said

"Are they misfits or real people with issues to you... Sometimes new, different categories of types take a while to adjust to...."

As Tiff said. They are just people.

Just people

why do others have to categorize everyone?

just people

Period.

@VicZinc But it is your post and you said "Are they misfits or real people with issues to you... Sometimes new, different...

Yes, I agree that people are people first...and whatever else they are is second. Female/male...whatever.

However it doesn't seem to work that way socially...which is why I advocate learning, which leads to understanding, and acceptance.

I've had transgender friends for many years so I understand and am comfortable with this topic..

For anyone who wants a better understanding of what transgender really means, a good place to start is the American Psychological Association's web site.

http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/transgender.aspx

This page goes through the basics of gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc...

@2613881

In Anne Rice's books they are also Vampires...but somehow the appearance of a Vamp in this society would be subject to much scrutiny.

@2613881

Sexual confusion has always been around, even in biblical days. It was so rampant that God specifically cautioned His people to avoid it, not even wearing clothing intended for the other sex. Not because it's bad but because it causes confusion, and confusion is not good. Satan uses sexual confusion to divide communities. You can resist Satan by simply refusing to be confused.

@SmartAZ Sexual confusion has always been around, even in biblical days. It was so rampant that God specifically cautioned...

Yeah, send all the "confused" christians to a little reprograming camp to be "not confused".
To refuse to accept sexual differences is cruel. It has nothing to do with confussion. It is biology.

@2613998

Tiff, if there is any problem you can send me a pm and we can talk about it.

@2613881

Chevalier was French. Chances are he was blessed and rich. They probably looked at his transgenderism as just an "affectation" .... xp smilie

@2613897

Wait til you get kicked out of the change-room since it's being taken over by Trannys...Isabel.

@2614078

What is "cis"?

Thanks so much for giving me a minus vote Isabel.

This a good topic. I accept any form of sexual orientation (be who you want to be), but I would never force or push various sexual orientations on others. That seems to be a big problem nowadays, people don't need to accept anything they don't believe in, just like various religions or politics. Forcing the issue makes it so much worse, all the rebellious spirits are out to fight and that isn't the message transgenders want to send.

@2614258

Yes, that is correct, but there are subjects that many people don't want to accept. It works both ways, too many are forcing awareness and acceptance to people that will never accept it. That's true of gender equality, sexual orientation, race, politics etc.

Open minded is a person that looks at both sides, not a person that accepts only one side.

@2614286

Exactly! if people would accept that people are all different and that will never change, it would be a better world today. Remember that goes both ways.

But that will never happen in this lifetime.

@2613874

I don't know. It does come across as missing something but I can't say what that is.

@2614138

It doesn't show a lack of care but more of a distance you put between you and others.

@ozzyboy

Huh? The Ozzy I know knows how to express himself. Do tell, please.

@Sukiesnow Huh? The Ozzy I know knows how to express himself. Do tell, please.

the whole topic has become such a bore. Live and let live - just leave me alone because I don't care about anyone's sexuality. Just, please, keep it to yourself.
I won't ask and for heaven's sake - don't tell me!

@ozzyboy the whole topic has become such a bore. Live and let live - just leave me alone because I don't care about anyone's...

When I once "complained" about listening to elderly people and their anecdotes...you told me how you and your family were riveted hearing about stories about their life...well, that bores the hell out of me!

@Sukiesnow When I once "complained" about listening to elderly people and their anecdotes...you told me how you and your...

Listening to one's life experiences is a lot different than having to hear abut the whining problems of people who are trying to adjust to a way of life of their choosing. I'm not a big listener to anyone's whining so don't make it about any gender or lifestyles.

I don't fully understand the plight of the transgender... It's possible since I've never met any in RL...

There was once only straight people...now suddenly new genders are cropping up at every turn...can you really EXPECT people to generally accept everyone at any given turn?

So next week...what...we might suddenly hear about a new genre...men or women who think they are really children...and then we have to go about understanding and support that?

I say...give a people time to understand and accept without forcing it on us.

That might just be the problem: any variance in society needs time and the right information to allow ppl to understand and accept...it is only a fool who accepts without understanding.

@Sukiesnow I don't fully understand the plight of the transgender... It's possible since I've never met any in RL... There...

I understand what you're saying, but here's the reality.

Whether or not most people understand or accept them is not the pressing issue.

They deserve the same rights, protections, and privileges the law gives everyone else and they deserve them now. They deserve the same respect, the same common courtesy, we give to any stranger on the street. That is the bare minimum one can expect as an American citizen and what you or I or anyone else does or doesn't understand is irrelevant to that simple truth.

@2613871

This is not about me...this is about how bewildered most ppl are in relation to societal change. And I understand that, and I want to change it from a place of ridicule to a place of understanding.

But how to do that with the average Joe Beer. That is the question. Normally, as we ALL know...no-one likes change...especially change forced upon us...and certainly I can bet not many on here have heard the possibility of transgenders until recently... So to expect acceptance and understanding is a bit much.

There are stages following the acceptance of anything new that may threaten to change our lives: like, with the advent of the Model T Ford: people laughed and ridiculed...it'll never last..they said..it's wrong..they said...people were meant to walk. Then finally...acceptance along with understanding...how it was possible emerged...and people, understanding benefits...were more content with this new idea....

Perhaps minorities...and speaking of minorities - some ppl still have difficulty with the black/white race thing....

But, again, perhaps the minorities about today...might have thought about hiring some PR in order to make people understand. Certainly, they are all here to stay...but there are steps that can be made in order to introduce relatively new situations to the masses with empathy and kindness.

@2613884

I'm unsure whether some people will ever not be stuck. Some people will be stuck in the same mud patch that their parents are in...and of course others are caught by other dictates like yes...beliefs...etc. Some seem almost happy to have rules and restrictions made for them.

It's still possible that putting forth new information in a certain way as I mentioned...a retraining as it were...just as we are being trained to recycle....or just as ppl eventually accepted the Model T.

I asked Ser to replace this post as my POTD... I think it has more options for debating.

They aren't harming anyone so meh dont really care. Their life not mine.

I'm fine with trans people. I have a lot of empathy for them because they suffer a great deal often, both mentally and physically. I wish them well.

this is a freakin weird post.

I try to accept people on a personal level as just people. I don't like, or pretend to like, people who try to get in my face, demanding I accept their choices or lifestyle. I may look at a person who has a particular lifestyle as strange if they are flaunting it for attention. I'd look at a man wearing feathers and a g-string as weird duck, just as I'd look at a guy driving a pickup truck with a duct taped wooden door with horns as a hood ornament as a weird duck..

People are people. It's not like this is something new. It is just discussed more these days.

Categorizing and labeling others is plain bullshit in my opinion.

@Lil_Princess People are people. It's not like this is something new. It is just discussed more these days. Categorizing and...

FYI...you live in this bullshit and it happens everyday around you.

Oh...you: woman. Me: male. Me is going to ask you out on a date. That is a simplistic form of labelling that goes on all the time.

Otherwise it might be: You: person. Me: person. Let's go out on a date....

@Sukiesnow FYI...you live in this bullshit and it happens everyday around you. Oh...you: woman. Me: male. Me is going to ask...

I might live in it but I simply ignore it and don't waste my time with it.

The labeling I am talking about is well your goth so you sit in this corner & your gay so you sit in this corner & you are emo so you go to this corner...people are people

@Lil_Princess I might live in it but I simply ignore it and don't waste my time with it. The labeling I am talking about is...

You don't think you are a woman is labelling? It could be...especially if it means that means you have to cook... And you are a man means I have to take out the damn garbage...this is what it is to many ppl...

I think I understand what you are saying but there are so many labels... Really: you are a person is the best...

I say pick a sex. If your going to be a dude, then be a dude. If you want to be a chick then be a chick. But dont run around with boobs and a penis because its friggin weird, ok?