Teenage pregnancy rates would go down if:

Image for post **Teenage pregnancy rates would go down if:**
Sukiesnows avatar Jokes & Humour
8 90
@2615703

Please notice the up-ticks when Republicans held congress.

Just saying. Conservative ideas do not prevent pregnancies, liberal ideas do.

@VicZinc Please notice the up-ticks when Republicans held congress. Just saying. Conservative ideas do not prevent...

Not to be argumentative, but you were the one who brought up this point.

It did not seem to me that your allegation that the up ticks happened during Republican control of Congress because I remembered that Democrats controlled Congress for most of my life (the forty or so years before Clinton got elected). So I went and checked and confirmed that I was correct. The 96.3 and 61.8 up ticks shown on the chart happened when Democrats controlled Congress and the 41.5 up tick corresponded to the Democrats regaining control after a twelve year span of Republican control (1995-2007).

I would also point out that the decline from the 61.8 up tick has been more or less steadily downward, so it would seem that the trend has less to do with who controls Congress than other factors (better birth control methods, better sex education, etc.).

Therefore, I use that data to disagree with your conclusion that "conservative ideas do not prevent pregnancies, liberal ideas do."

@2617121

I can't tell from your post whether the data you agree with is the conclusion that Vic tried to make or the conclusion which I made in response to Vic.

But since you made such a strong affirmation concerning conservative vs. liberal ideas effect on prevention, I would argue that the conservative advice about abstinence and use of condoms are highly effective, rather than as Vic said, do not prevent pregnancies.

And also, I presume that we are not even considering the liberal idea of abortion as a pregnancy preventative method because the pregnancy had already occurred in that case.

@2615632

Anyone can buy birth control at any convenience store, gas station, Walmart, 7-11, and any pharmacy. How much more accessible should birth control be?

@2616521

???? Condoms are birth control devices, and have been used for birth control long before anyone here was even born. If the people who are getting pregnant, as you say, are the ones not using condoms, then maybe they should be using condoms. If a person uses an excuse that they are too poor to afford a condom, they shouldn't be having sex.

• If it was mandatory to all schools to have medically accurate Sex Ed and to be spoken objectively.
  • Parents themselves speaking of sex and how to be careful, instead of just saying "Don't do sex!".
  • What DWF and Tiff said.
@2615735

Not when you're blaming yourself. Now, If you were blaming some other guy, maybe. Blaming yourself means you're responsible for your own actions. I get Tiffanee's point. My girlfriend stopped taking the pill without telling me. Here it is, 29 years later and I'm actually glad that she did. My daughter is amazing. That doesn't justify the deceit, but Holly trying to trap me turned out for the best.

@2615756

I'm good, no wrapping. Snipped and clipped.

@2615779

No problem. It turned out okay for me; I got lucky. I understand that things don't work out the same for everyone. In all honesty? If I hadn't married my wife of 25 years, child support would have destroyed me. Lillian helped me to find strength that I never knew I had.

@Sukiesnow How did she do this...Jerry? The short version.

Whenever I doubted myself, she just told me that she knew I could do it. Whenever I was stupid, she told me how to be smart. We just complement each other. Where one is weak, the other is strong. So, I'm good for her too. I just found the one I needed somehow.

@Sukiesnow It works!! Good for both of you.

I wish the same for you. A person that is strong where you're weak and for you to be strong where he is weak. It's the key I think.

@JerryHendrickson That sounds like you think I'm going to be removed.

Ha... No...I just don't remember you being on for awhile.

@Sukiesnow Ha... No...I just don't remember you being on for awhile.

I've been really busy Sukiepie. This is the time of year that I really have to work hard. I'm here more in the winter, which seems like half of the year. When it's warm, I work my butt off.

@Sukiesnow What are you busy at now...the musician part?

That and exterior maintenance on rental properties. When you do the work yourself instead of hiring people, you save a lot of money. I have lot's of construction experience. What I don't know how to do, a friend usually just tells me how to do it. Let's not forget that I'm also a massage therapist and veterinary assistant/secretary.

When you're an old geezer (52) you've learned how to do many things well, if you've applied yourself.

If girls understood that when they meet a guy, he's not going to want to use a condom and will come up with all kinds of reasons why he doesn't need to but then he's not the one that gets pregnant.

@OzSurfer If girls understood that when they meet a guy, he's not going to want to use a condom and will come up with all...

i don't understand what this point is supposed to be. a simple conversation of "hey you wanna have kids" "no" "ok let's use a condom then" would prevent that. are you implying that boys are stupid and are willing to risk kids just to have sex? or that girls are stupid and willing to comply with stupid boys to have sex without a condom and risk kids? i personally don't know anyone who would be in either situation and i think your reply is based purely on personal anecdotes

@shelbme i don't understand what this point is supposed to be. a simple conversation of "hey you wanna have kids" "no" "ok...

Isn't your reply based purely on personal anecdotes too? If you don't know anyone who would be in that situation then you haven't talked to many people - girls in particular. No it's not that girls are stupid, it's that many boys right through to older men are persuasive and don't want to use a condom and don't care about catching a disease or worse, spreading one. It might be anecdotal and not a scientific study but I have talked to many women of all ages about this and most agree and I've talked to even more guys that will go out of their way to avoid one. This is an opinion site and not a scientific one, so I'm giving mine. At least your profile is accurate.

@OzSurfer Isn't your reply based purely on personal anecdotes too? If you don't know anyone who would be in that situation...

oh yes, of course it is. i am terrible and not very educated so all i have to offer is from my own experience, twinged with a slight animosity based on my hatred for people in general. i mostly posted this comment just to be contrary.

but actually, i don't think what you're saying is accurate. just to be clear, are you saying that malicious boys are more responsible than ignorant girls? i think both genders should be responsible

@shelbme oh yes, of course it is. i am terrible and not very educated so all i have to offer is from my own experience...

Yes of course both genders should be responsible but girls have got a lot more at stake than boys so the situation isn't equal

@OzSurfer Yes of course both genders should be responsible but girls have got a lot more at stake than boys so the situation...

that's totally true. shouldn't girls be even more on guard than boys, then? not to blame girls for getting pregnant because i know it happens, just that it's weird to blame guys for knocking up girls as if they're innocent snowflakes who don't even know the potential consequences

@shelbme that's totally true. shouldn't girls be even more on guard than boys, then? not to blame girls for getting pregnant...

Yes girls should be more on guard, that's been my point but I was talking to Tiff so I didn't need to explain all this as we have discussed this all before.

...teenagers weren't horney and stupid.

@2615748

That sure would have been some lame teen years. My girlfriends we're on the pill. I joined the Army at 17 and who knows what the girls were doing during those years. I was in a drunken and drug induced stupor from the time that I joined until the time I got out. Mostly because I hated it.

@2615759

How dare you act responsible!

They stopped bonking!

More teens had sex education. The pros and cons of sex. Birth control needs to be widely taught and practiced.

@Balou More teens had sex education. The pros and cons of sex. Birth control needs to be widely taught and practiced.

Balou, Do you believe there is a boy or girl in this country over the age of 15 who doesn't know how babies are conceived, or know about condoms, and other birth control? We can, and have, talked about birth control to teenagers till we are blue in the face. Until they practice what they have been told, nothing will change. I don't think more "education" is going to change anything until they change their behavior. Too many people believe abortion is a viable birth control alternative.

We had access to birth control and actual sex ed, not abstinence only garbage.

...if vasectomy right after the birth became the standard practice. You'll get your sperm pipes running properly after your 18th birthday. Before that, have fun practicing the baby factory horizontal mambo.

...parents were better educated to address the issue, and especially address it in a comfortable way.

everyone abstained.

Teenage girls would stop having unprotected sex.

@2616742

You mean control women.

@Trish Hey, I think you're forgetting someone there..

No, I don't think so. I can't recall ever hearing of a teenage boy ever getting pregnant. Some people may say it's sexist or whatever but that's just a fact of how biology works. While both parties are responsible for the pregnancy, only one is actually going to get pregnant. A girl just needs to tell the boy it isn't going to happen without protection. In the end, it's her decision.

@JustJimColo No, I don't think so. I can't recall ever hearing of a teenage boy ever getting pregnant. Some people may say it's...

It's misogynistic bullshit. How dare you place the blame on the females? Speaking of biology, you know as well as I do it takes two partners to make a child. Just stop.

@Trish It's misogynistic bullshit. How dare you place the blame on the females? Speaking of biology, you know as well as...

It's not misogynistic bullshit. It's biology. Of course it takes two to make a baby. (If you'd read my post above, you'd see I said that) I didn't "blame" anyone. I simply stated a fact, that the girl can say "no", to unprotected sex. That makes me a misogynistic??? LOL

If teenagers had a brain in their craniums, it's not rocket science to get a few condoms.

If we reduce inequality it would reduce a myriad of social issues including teenage pregnancy

@2616380

So only rich people can procreate? Yeah, no.

... they stopped having unprotected sex. LOL

Planned parenthood stop teaching sex in schools

Anonymous