Are you comfortable attending groups or meetings? What if you are asked to speak...

Being in a group or meetings can bring out a different part of you... It can be awkward....you know...you come in...there are about 20 strangers..some smiling... You might give your name...or the group might do a go-around...where everyone has to stand up to give their name and say a bit about themselves... Is this comfortable for you or do you suddenly wish you'd bought a one-way ticket to the Moon...

Image for post **Are you comfortable attending groups or meetings?** //What if you are asked to speak...//
Sukiesnows avatar Jokes & Humour
9 21

Getting up in front of an audience is one of peoples biggest fears. I do it regularly so it doesn't bother me. If you are talking about something you know a lot about, you get comfortable;e pretty quick. If you aren't prepared, it can be the longest hour of your life.

@JustJimColo Getting up in front of an audience is one of peoples biggest fears. I do it regularly so it doesn't bother me. If...

I once had to conduct a meeting for 50 people and had 30 minutes to learn what the topic was and sound confident enough I knew what I was taking about. I pulled it off but still not sure how because I didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

@Lil_Princess I once had to conduct a meeting for 50 people and had 30 minutes to learn what the topic was and sound confident...

Been there... done that. As a young 2nd Lieutenant, I was given a couple hours to prep for briefing a 3 star on something I'd never even heard of. It was a disaster. Afterwards, he asked when I'd first heard of the material I was to brief him on. (He was already an expert on it) I told him 3 hours. He told me to come back and brief him again the following week. By the time I re-briefed him, I knew the subject matter inside and out and was able to answer the questions he asked. As painful as the experience was, It was a great life lesson. There are some people you can bullshit and get away with it, and there are some you can't. It's best to be prepared enough that you don't have to.

@JustJimColo Been there... done that. As a young 2nd Lieutenant, I was given a couple hours to prep for briefing a 3 star on...

Oh wow. It is good that you got a second chance and was able to learn the material. I always like time to prepare but sometimes my boss forgets to tell me and I have to really wing it.

I don't mind attending meetings, and speaking is okay as long as I'm confident with my knowledge of the subject.

@2617630

And I'm sure you look good doing it...they are all probably wishing they worked out more...

I can do it, and usually I'm pretty good at it if I know my material, but I prefer not to.

And like, who schedules meetings on a Friday afternoon? Please.

No problem I will speak.

I don't have a problem if I am knowledgable about the topic. If not, I'll pass and listen.

I like four to six feet of space between me and others. On speaking to a group, I'd decline - I don't like the all-eyes-are-on-me sensation.

I have no issues with it at all. I am 100% comfortable with it. My first meeting with complete strangers was an AA meeting. I got right up there because nobody wanted to speak and said who I was and why I was there.

I have to speak in front of 150 people where I work so it doesn't bother me at all. In fact I have to start attending more professional business meetings with upper management going forward.

🦋