As a general rule, an individual has no duty to come to the aid of another.

You may have heard about that story of five teenage boys standing by, video taping, mocking and laughing as a 31 year old man drowned in a pond. The boys posted the video online. The victims sister found the video several days after her brother went missing. The story is here -
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/ne...LUiL5uyJQg0NM/

Now, I come to find out that there's nothing really these boys can be charged with for their cold, heartless, inaction.

What the ? We need laws to force people to do something humane? Who raises animals like these? What can be done to ensure it doesn't happen again?

Police push to charge teens who filmed, mocked man drowning&Update: Cocoa police said the teenagers accused of filming and not helping a 31-year-old man who dro...http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime--law/police-push-charge-teens-who-filmed-mocked-man-drowning-pond/EL9POjlIILUiL5uyJQg0NM/Image for post As a general rule, an individual has no duty to come to the aid of another.
24% We can't legislate being good 0% We're not our brothers keeper 47% Good heavens, what is wrong with people? 29% Other
Budwicks avatar Technology
8 30

That is a very disheartening story. I can't help but root for karma on this one.

Will_Janitors avatar Will_Janitor Good heavens, what is wrong with people? +7Reply
@2618013

Your first sentence, says it all.

I tend to think governments should not legislate morality. Just look at the people running our government and it's easy to see how nonsensical that would be. To say many of them are not above reproach would be a gross understatement.

Besides, in a free society the government should not force its citizens to behave in a way they feel is moral. We are all our own private property.

So as sickening as this case is, I'm not sure there is much we can do besides attempt to ostracize these teens and their parents.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge We can't legislate being good +5Reply

It's sad that our society has gotten to a point where many people are afraid to help someone in need. Afraid of being "set up", afraid of being attacked and afraid of getting involved.

@JustJimColo It's sad that our society has gotten to a point where many people are afraid to help someone in need. Afraid of...

I agree, but I don't think fear of reprisal is involved in this one. The kids laughed and joked as the man struggled and finally drowned. The kids notified no one.

I'm pretty sure in my neighbourhood there's a law against not taking reasonable steps to report a someone in this type of situation who's at risk of dying. They didn't have to jump in to help, but rather than video it, they should have attempted to call for help or at least one of them should have. However their ages probably would preclude them from any legal repercussions from not doing anything even if there were such laws.

@OzSurfer I'm pretty sure in my neighbourhood there's a law against not taking reasonable steps to report a someone in this...

In the absence of any thing else, I think they are going to pursue these these punks for not notifying authorities of a death.

@Budwick In the absence of any thing else, I think they are going to pursue these these punks for not notifying authorities...

I hope they do. I can understand someone not wanting to risk their lives for others but what they did was disgusting. I guess I was brought up to believe you took all reasonable steps to help someone who's life was at risk.

Most places have something like a Good Samaritan Law that protects someone trying to help - in case something goes wrong.

It's hard to even answer this post. Perhaps an angry mob is in order.

@2625329

Jeez Louise! Pushed her in front of a bus! What an ass!
Are they looking for the jack-wad? I'm sure the woman's father, son, brother, husband are! [And they will be the ones in trouble if / when caught] What a world, eh?

@2625342

Agreed! Please, keep up posted on developments.

I don't believe life has inherent virtue or meaning but I like to help people so I do.

Several years ago, I signed up to take a CPR training class at work. After I got into the training, it became apparent to me how many things might actually go wrong if I tried to perform that in a real-life situation. I dropped out of the class because I was afraid of being sued over such a situation gone awry.

Also, remember that the last episode of the Seinfeld sitcom was about the gang being thrown in jail for not complying with a Good Samaritan law?

@goblue1968 Several years ago, I signed up to take a CPR training class at work. After I got into the training, it became...

It's really a shame that we have to concern ourselves with stuff like that. Here in Ohio we have a Good Samaritan law that protects someone in a situation like that. But, I get your point.

Here in Europe, there is a "duty to rescue" in various countries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_rescue

Citing:
"Regulations by country
In some countries, there exists a legal requirement for citizens to assist people in distress, unless doing so would put themselves or others in harm's way. Citizens are often required to, at minimum, call the local emergency number, unless doing so would be harmful, in which case the authorities should be contacted when the harmful situation has been removed. As of 2012, there were such laws in several countries, including[1] Albania, Andorra,[24] Argentina,[25] Austria,[26] Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Croatia,[27] Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia,[28] Finland, France,[29] Germany,[30] Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland,[31] Portugal, Russia, Serbia, Spain, Switzerland and Tunisia."

"As a general rule, an individual has no duty to come to the aid of another."

If the individual is a sociopath that's where the problems begin..