Do you think true, unselfish altruism exists? Helping others for NO OTHER reason than simply to help, regardless of reward.

95% Yes, I do 5% No, I do not 0% Other
Trishs avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
8 14

I've been blessed by the kindness and generosity of others more than once, and it just feels good to pass it along whenever possible.

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell Yes, I do +9Reply

Yes, and I don't think the fact that doing something kind for any kind of "other" makes people feel good, lessens the value of the act.

Piper2s avatar Piper2 Yes, I do +6Reply

Perhaps, I've helped a few old ladies with crossing the road, getting off a bus or with stairs of underpasses. I've learned a lot of things from elderly 80 year old women, they like to talk and their stories are interesting. My reward is being told I'm a good boy and it makes me feel good. Is that selfish?

I helped an extremely drunk girl that I didn't know who was alone at night at a train station home to her house years ago. I posted about that once on another site and I was astounded at how many people assumed that i must have taken advantage of her because i had the opportunity. I think there are still people that will help others just to help, but it's less common now.

OzSurfers avatar OzSurfer Yes, I do +5Reply

Of course it does.

Yes, of course, there are still people out there who will help someone out of the kindness of their heart. I know people like this although this group is getting smaller and smaller.

ozzyboys avatar ozzyboy Yes, I do +3Reply

That's my life. I don't expect anything in return.

Mashas avatar Masha Yes, I do +2Reply

Because I do it.I know of others who also do it.

hootowls avatar hootowl Yes, I do +2Reply

I've been part of that experience - it felt good to be able to get someone over the hump.

PartyOfOnes avatar PartyOfOne Yes, I do +1Reply

I do it all the time and I cant logically justify my actions.

Willcoopers avatar Willcooper Yes, I do +1Reply