Reuters: "More than A third of US adults prescribed opioids in 2015." ... ... ... that seem high to you?

Reuters Health - The United States needs to curb excessive opioid prescribing and improve access to pain management techniques, suggests a new government study. Researchers found that more than one third of U.S. adults were prescribed the medications in 2015 and many also misused the drugs. "A very large proportion and large number of adults use these medications in a given year," said study author Dr. Wilson Compton, deputy director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse in Bethesda, Maryland. "I was still a bit surprised that 38 percent or about 92 million people used prescription opioids in 2015."

More than a third of US adults prescribed opioids in 2015By Andrew M. Seaman Reuters Health - The United States needs to curb excessive opioid prescribing and improve access to pain management techniques, suggests a new government study. "A very large proportion and large number of adults use these medications in a given year," said study authorhttps://ca.news.yahoo.com/more-third-us-adults-prescribed-opioids-2015-102126736.html
71% Seems high to me 0% I'm sure it's fine 14% I'm high right now 14% Other
Mazes avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
3 11

That number does indeed sound high. BUT, there are medications containing opioids that don't show on typical lists. Like Tramadol - I didn't realize this had opioids until it was prescribed for my dog. I looked it up and SOB - it has opioids!

I had taken Tramadol myself some time ago - never knew it was potentially addictive.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Seems high to me +2Reply
@Budwick That number does indeed sound high. BUT, there are medications containing opioids that don't show on typical...

Such a small amount that it is schedule 4.
I know someone who is prescribed it. Uses it on and off. When she uses it for more than a couple of weeks, when she stops, she definately goes through very mild withdrawal.

@Carla Such a small amount that it is schedule 4. I know someone who is prescribed it. Uses it on and off. When she uses...

I understand - and agree. I'm just saying that if a reporter was more interested in building a case than maintaining clarity, he may have included a drug like Tramadol in his count of a third of the population being prescribed opioids.

I know, it's wacky to think that 'news' people might have an agenda - I'm just thinking outside the box here.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Seems high to me +1Reply
@Budwick I understand - and agree. I'm just saying that if a reporter was more interested in building a case than...

I was never offered tramadol. Straight to morphine. Then fentanyl.
My best friend had a shoulder injury. They wanted to give her vicodin, but she has no tolerance for those. They then prescribed tramadol.

The numbers do not surprise me.

They think there is a problem in Canada, too. I think it is picked as something for the news.

It's a Trump conspiracy to force us into submission so he can take over America.

@VicZinc It's a Trump conspiracy to force us into submission so he can take over America.

Perhaps you were joking but the opioid thing has been a growing problem for several administrations.

@Budwick Perhaps you were joking but the opioid thing has been a growing problem for several administrations.

Yes, but when Obama's "FEMA" camps didn't pan out he traded the idea to Trump for a new Purdey Over and Under, and a few hundred rounds of ammo.

Anonymous