President Trump Announces Immigration Reform. Do you agree with the new direction America is taking on immigration?

"As a candidate, I campaigned on creating a merit based immigration system that protects US workers and taxpayers, and that is why we are here today. Merit based. The Raise Act will reduce poverty, increase wages and save taxpayers billions and billions of dollars. It will do this by changing the way the United States issues green cards to nationals from other countries. Green cards provide permanent residency, work authorization and fast track to citizenship. For decades, the United States has operated a very low skilled immigration system, issuing record numbers of green cards to low wage immigrants. This policy has placed substantial pressure on American workers, taxpayers and community resources. Among those hit the hardest in recent years have been [existing] immigrants and very importantly, minority workers competing for jobs against brand new arrivals. And it has not been fair to our people, to our citizens and our workers. The Raise Act ends chain migration and replaces our low skilled system with a new points based system for receiving a green card. This competitive application process will favor applicants who can speak English, financially support themselves and their families and demonstrate skills that will contribute to our economy. The Raise Act prevents new immigrants from collecting welfare and protects US workers from being displaced. And that's a very big thing, they're not going to come in and just immediately go and collect welfare, that doesn't happen under the Raise Act, they can't do that." -Donald Trump

President Trump Announces HISTORIC Immigration Reform with Senators Tom Cotton & David Perdue 8/2/17President Donald Trump announces legislation representing the most significant reform to the U.S. immigration system in half a century. MAGA 🇺🇸 White House A...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtfIFAFKVt4
75% Agree 25% Disagree 0% Other
Mazes avatar People & Celebrities
2 7

From what I hear, it's a pretty good plan! It establishes some limits on the toal number of immigrants - not out of line with what previous administrations have had, except for Obama that was looking forward to America losing it's sovereignty. Making sure immigrants will be able to function in their new country and be able to provide for themselves and their families makes sense too.

From what I've heard...I think it might be okay...letting so many ppl in isn't good for a country...what do I know?...but I am wondering...how does Donald know anything about Immigration Reform...he's still new at his job.

Interesting...All Canadians on a post.

@2621366

The new rules will not impact the foreign worker program, so farms that cannot find Americans willing to do the job can still hire foreigners.

Also, the Raise Act only applies to green card holders and applicants, not citizens, so it's like a probationary period. A green card entitles you to work, not collect welfare. If you have no job, you don't need a green card, you're just a foreign visitor, but when you run out of money it's time to go home, not head over to welfare. If you're in the country illegally, you're not an immigrant, you're a foreign criminal. They should kick your ass out at a minimum, probably toss you in the clink for a while if it's a second offense.

Rule of law is fundamental to order, and order is fundamental to a prosperous society. Not unjust, not cruel, just simple rules that defend and protect the public. You have doors on your house to control who enters, you wouldn't get rid of them, you know not everyone is good. Even if you had a huge apartment building that you wanted people to move in to, assuming you have any sense, you would be careful who you rented to, because you know not everyone is a good tenant. So why would you leave the door to the country open and not pick immigrants carefully?

Anyone who thinks immigrants are not collecting taxpayer's dollars need to get their heads out of their butts. There are so many ways to collect state and federal money that while it might not be labeled welfare there are plenty of programs that allow them to collect, get free healthcare and go to schools that were paid for by the taxpayers. I don't mind the schools too much, only when my property taxes double and I can't afford college for my own kids.
The American dream has been taken away and given to the new people.