Do you often struggle to sleep? Or can you usually sleep easily?

Image for post Do you often struggle to sleep? Or can you usually sleep easily?
primeiros avatar Life
13 72

Mostly I can get to sleep easily, but if I'm stressed or have anxiety problems then I often wake up after 3 or 4 hours and can't get back to sleep. Sometimes that can go on for a week until I'm totally exhausted and it affects my health.

@StarzAbove So sorry to hear that....that must be so miserable.

When it happens, it can just cause a continuous loop where the more tired I get, the more anxious I get and the more I can't sleep.

I have found I can end the cycle by either removing myself from all kinds of stress or taking a sleeping table just once, and then I'm back to normal.

@OzSurfer When it happens, it can just cause a continuous loop where the more tired I get, the more anxious I get and the...

You have my sympathy, I hope you can soon get it under control. Losing sleep can make a person so miserable.

@OzSurfer Mostly I can get to sleep easily, but if I'm stressed or have anxiety problems then I often wake up after 3 or 4...

Thank you for joining. :)

I can relate to the "stressed or have anxiety problems" part. I seem to get anxious kind of easily and that greatly affects how long I take to sleep.

@primeiro Thank you for joining. :) I can relate to the "stressed or have anxiety problems" part. I seem to get anxious kind...

I can relate to what you're saying too and I'm sorry you also have that. Great post by the way! :)

@OzSurfer I can relate to what you're saying too and I'm sorry you also have that. Great post by the way! :)

Sorry to know that you have too. I like that song "Overkill" (by Men at Work) especially because the lyrics seem relatable in a way. :P
And thank you! :D

I can relate to most of those issues, although it hasn't affected my physical health - emotional, though, for sure ;)

I sympathize.

@PartyOfOne I can relate to most of those issues, although it hasn't affected my physical health - emotional, though, for sure...

Thanks! from a physical perspective it affects my health only in that the amount of exercise I can do is diminished but then equally the recovery is hampered by the lack of sleep. I often lose muscle and gain body fat if this happens to me for more than a couple of days. Sleep is so important in staying healthy :)

@2622363

Thank you for joining. :)
I can identify with everything you said, especially with the "stressed about something" part (which is one of my biggest sleeping troubles).

I usually go to sleep withe little effort, but sometimes I have a hard time shutting down when I'm in the midst of a dilemma I'm trying to resolve.

@JanHaskell I usually go to sleep withe little effort, but sometimes I have a hard time shutting down when I'm in the midst of...

I have a hard time shutting down, too, for all the traumatic news and situations I run into - oh, well... :)

Best wishes that those dilemmas become less frequent and less demanding.

Thank you for joining. :)
I can relate to that -- dilemmas usually make it really difficult to shut down. However, glad to hear that your sleep is usually without effort. :)

@2622409

Thank you for joining. :)
You're very lucky. :P I usually wake up more than once, and it takes me a bit long to go back to sleep.

@2622785

Yes, it's a very important part of staying healthy, of overall quality of life. Feeling a bit sleepy and yawning often is a surprisingly common thing (and unfortunately happens to me all the time), but it's unpleasant and probably should be fixed somehow.

@2622791

That happens to me too. Very annoying. lol
I drink a lot of water during the day. During summer, this doesn't cause so much trouble (summer here is very hot). But, during winter, I sweat a lot less, so I have to considerably reduce my water intake, otherwise I have to wake up several times to urinate.

@2622409

I cured that problem, keep a pail near the bed and dump it when you want to be up. I live alone so nobody around to get bothered.

If I gave you a list of things that are stressing my life you would wonder when I even had time to sleep. It doesn't come easy when there are so many things that need attention.

@ozzyboy If I gave you a list of things that are stressing my life you would wonder when I even had time to sleep. It...

Thank you for joining. :)
Sorry to hear that. Best wishes in overcoming those stressful things.

Some nights I can sleep easily.

@Sukiesnow Some nights I can sleep easily.

Thank you for joining. :)
Some nights I can fall asleep easily, but I usually wake up in the middle of the night, and then it can be a bit difficult to get back to sleep. :P

Falling asleep is easy staying asleep very difficult. I can never sleep if I have to get up for anything in the morning, so I just read doze then read more. Very tired today as I was up at 4:30 am because the wild turkeys were outside getting pushed around by that male. Gosh I think they ae evolving into ostritches or something, they were really tall. .

@primeiro

Hello, Paulo :) It's good to meet up with you :D My sincere apology for being this late in response to your message - I often forget about that section of the site :-\

You have a very nice post and interesting responses... a few situations are similar to mine :)

Best wishes for the rest of your day, my friend!

@PartyOfOne Hello, Paulo :) It's good to meet up with you :D My sincere apology for being this late in response to your message...

Hi :)
No problem! Thank you and best wishes to you too!
And thank you for joining. Great to have you on my post. :)

It depends on how tired I am. Sometimes go to sleep very quickly, other times it takes awhile to settle down.

Coffee keeps me awake. Take it away, and watch me die.

No problems getting to sleep.Staying asleep is another matter.4 hours is a good night for me.

@ThePrinceofWales No problems getting to sleep.Staying asleep is another matter.4 hours is a good night for me.

Thank you for joining. :)
I can relate to that. I usually sleep more than 4 hours (although it's usually fragmented), but the total time I sleep every day seems to be less than ideal.

@2622803

Hahah. :P Thank you for joining. :)

Not only do I have no trouble falling asleep at night, since I retired I take a one to two hour nap every afternoon!

And I annoy my wife by the fact that I kill time on long airplane flights by just sleeping and she can't sleep in a sitting position.

I seem to struggle this summer, it's way too hot

@Sunny_the_skeptic I seem to struggle this summer, it's way too hot

Sorry to hear that.. I really hate excessive heat. :P
Thank you for joining. :)

@JustinS521 Both

Thank you for joining. :)

It normally goes like this: if I sleep one night too well, then on the next night I'll have issues falling asleep. On holidays, that's okay, but when I have a schedule to keep up with, I start having problems.

I don't sleep enough, then I get tired during the day, so when I get home I'll sleep during the afternoon, and then I won't fall asleep at night. It will take me some days to put my sleeping schedule back to normal, but then it will screw itself again. And then there's those times when after 4 hours of sleep, any noise can wake me up, and then I can't fall asleep again. It's a mess.

@Sofia It normally goes like this: if I sleep one night too well, then on the next night I'll have issues falling asleep...

Thank you for joining. biggrin smilie

lol, That sounds annoying. Your description is pretty much what happens to me, except for the part where you "sleep one night too well", which rarely happens to me. :P

@primeiro Thank you for joining. lol, That sounds annoying. Your description is pretty much what happens to me...

You're welcome :D

It happens when I reach a day that I'm free on the next day. Since I don't have a time to get up, I'll just sleep. But I sometimes take a medicine, to really sleep the 7 hours. Even when I'm exhausted, after the 4 hour mark, there's the chance that I'll wake up too soon.

@Sofia You're welcome :D It happens when I reach a day that I'm free on the next day. Since I don't have a time to get...

:D

Aww, sorry to hear that.

I hope you sleep well today. :D

With me, for some reason I impose on myself that I must get up around at most 7:30 AM, so if I wake up like 6:00, I can't sleep anymore knowing that I'll have only an extra 1h-1h30 or so to sleep. :P

I don't take medicines, but I normally yawn so much during the day that I probably could use some help. :P

@primeiro :D Aww, sorry to hear that. I hope you sleep well today. :D With me, for some reason I impose on myself that I...

I'm on holidays. I don't have a schedule right now. But my sleep is wrong for now. I'm sleeping during the day, instead of sleeping during the night. Unless my family starts making too much noise, or the heat becomes too much, I sleep okay.

I only take it when I really need to sleep and I don't want to risk waking up with noise.

@Sofia I'm on holidays. I don't have a schedule right now. But my sleep is wrong for now. I'm sleeping during the day...

Yeah, I noticed it's a bit late there. :P

I'm happy that you usually sleep okay. :) My sleep is usually a bit agitated.

@2622613

Reading can be a very good way of winding down.
Thank you for joining. :)

After reading all the above posts from people who have trouble sleeping, I am extremely grateful that I have no trouble sleeping. I just took it for granted, but not any more after reading all those horror stories posted above!

I usually have no problem going to sleep...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="YouTube video thumbnailameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have suffered with insomnia for 23 years. I have taken every pill on the market. Some didn't work well and instead of sleeping I stayed awake for days. I can usually function on two hours a night but by the forth day...hide hehe smilie

Lately though I have been sleeping peacefully and easily.

Please login or signup to leave a comment.