+9

A bride's father takes her down the aisle and then gives her away. What are we...merchandise? Amirite?

For simplification old school rules were applied to the wording of the heading.

Image for post **A bride's father takes her down the aisle and then gives her away.**  //What are we...merchandise?// **Amirite?**
Sukiesnows avatar Religion
7 52
@2622826

I was at a wedding last year where the Mother of the Bride walked the bride down the aisle. The father didn't even show up.

@2622837

It always surprises me when he's bein funny.

@2622826

Be she plump, skinny, chubby or gaunt,
A marriage will THIS Dad not daunt.
It's just as it oughter be;
You give up your daughter, see,
But visit whenever you want.

It's called tradition.

Depends...is a shotgun part of the walk..

@DandyDon Depends...is a shotgun part of the walk..

The shotgun stays with the bride's father in case the groom tries to run out the back door.

@DandyDon Sometimes the bride has the shotgun..

That's right! She got a little pearl-handled jobby for her 18th one year... Chances are she's got that little number stuck in her garter belt...

What ever happened to the days when the Dad had to pay the guy to take them, and dowry's?

@2623040

What a breath of fresh air.

Unfortunately some traditions aren't so swell

Women were fathers property and then became husband's property (hence last names changed to match who owned you)

But thankfully times are ever changing

@2622888

Thank you!

@2623015

Ditto...:)

@2623202

Waitstaff!

@2623826

Mostly women are cowed by tradition. Obviously anyone who does it is cowed. I love that word!

@2624565

Men are cowed too. And western women who go along with tradition...are mostly cowed. They might not know it...but they are.

"Oh honey of course I'll take your last name. My last name and identity mean nothing to me."

@2624680

Pretty much spot on. smirk2 smilie

@2624864

We are neighbours after all, altho I've a sneaking suspicion you might be an alien after all. They don't upVote/Love at ALL.

@2625786

Jesus...always trying to trap me... Just like a sister...ha.

It's just tradition, no worries, you're not owned by anyone unless you're traded for 2 camels and 1 goat.

@Sukiesnow Tradition has also cowed women. And thusly most women remain captive to that...

What are you aiming at? This little thing that the father gives his daughter to another family bothers you? it's a symbol of union between two families, if you see it as female oppression it's your problem.

@Sunny_the_skeptic What are you aiming at? This little thing that the father gives his daughter to another family bothers you? it's a...

Female oppression. Good label. That's what it is...and it will be your problem if you expect your wife to take your last name.

Geez....what happened to you. I always thought you were sweet...

@Sukiesnow Female oppression. Good label. That's what it is...and it will be your problem if you expect your wife to take your...

Marriage is female oppression to you? That's your opinion, not the one of millions of women who love their men. About the names, can you imagine what it would be if everyone kept their last name? Tom Tucker with Karen Kelsky have a daughter Sally Tucker-Kelsky who gets married to James Jonson-Pritchet and have a son named Michael Jonson-Pritchet-Tucker-Kelsky. And it goes on

@Sunny_the_skeptic Marriage is female oppression to you? That's your opinion, not the one of millions of women who love their men...

Perhaps she might ask you to change your last name for hers. It happens you neolithic old fart.

@Sukiesnow Perhaps she might ask you to change your last name for hers. It happens you neolithic old fart.

In that case I will have to be a neolithic fart and refuse, I like you usually sukie, don't make me change that.

I saw an article on the MSN website a few days ago that explained some of the wedding traditions. It also showed photographs of the different wedding dress styles from each of the decades going back to the '50s.

One of the things the article said was the reason for the bridal veil was in ancient days when marriages were pre-arranged by the families, the brides were blindfolded so they wouldn't know where they were being taken for the wedding to minimize the possibility of the bride running away when she saw the groom she was marrying!

Women used to literally be considered chattel ( property). Some still think we are.

Trishs avatar Trish Agree +1Reply

marriage has become quite corrupt it used to be a special moment when two people agreed to be together forever but it's been muddled by tradition and extravagance

@Willcooper marriage has become quite corrupt it used to be a special moment when two people agreed to be together forever but...

Like the big PR scam that was foisted on us by the jewelry companies that we guys have to buy expensive diamond engagement rings, when a simple wedding band on the finger would be sufficient to signify the event.

@2636669

So you do the same for a son.

Anonymous