What old-fashioned baby name do you want to see make a comeback?

91% This 9% Other
Mashas avatar Animals & Nature
4 9

Erasmus

Daisy

Hermione for a girl, Corky (or Butch) for a boy.

Eleanor

Melissa for a girl. It peaked in 1979, the name remains popular in Mexico, Portugal, and Italy though.

Cecil for a guy. Records give the peak usage in 1902. No recorded use after 1997. Interestingly, Cecil for a girl, was used from before 1900 to 1943. But far less than that of a guy.

Marius for a guy. In fact, a lot of Roman names could come back. Julius is one of the few roman names to survive this long. Examples of a roman name coming back into use: Darius was never popular until 1991, and remains popular.

Irene also fell out of use in the States after 1920s, with a short rise in 1950. It remains popular in Galicia, Spain, and Italy. Irina is a lovely Balkan form of the name, but never came to the states as far as records go.

My girlfriend's name Irona, though it comes from the Latinized Greek form of Jerome. It hasn't been used very often after the 1900s in her country.

I don't hear Jerome very often either. The name peaked in 1939, started dropping fast after 1989-1990.

I just love onomastics, as much as etymology, name origins, history, and popularity,

Pinocchio...