+6

How come it's okay to believe in The Big Bang Theory & karma but disrespect religion, and their beliefs, even a deity in the religion? I'm a Christian but I just really wanna know.

JustinS521s avatar Religion
4 23

Suppose the majority believe that the Earth is balanced on the back of a giant tortoise, and that that tortoise is standing on the back of another giant tortoise, and so on. Do you feel that belief deserves respect?

Or how about Islam? Do you own Muhammad respect?

I respect the Big Bang theory because it's supported by evidence. I don't respect the idea of karma because the lack thereof.

Tolerance is different. In a pluralistic society others' beliefs must be tolerated (unless they believe in intolerance).

@PhilboydStudge Suppose the majority believe that the Earth is balanced on the back of a giant tortoise, and that that tortoise is...

Hey Phil! The OP wasn't asking for respect of a religion I don't think. But rather to refrain from disrespect.
There's a difference.

[The tortoise thing is interesting. Is that something real or made up in your fertile mind?]

@Budwick Hey Phil! The OP wasn't asking for respect of a religion I don't think. But rather to refrain from...

Good point. I hadn't made the differentiation - not even in my mind. I don't respect religion, and sometimes I show it disrespect, but I try to refrain from showing disrespect to someone just because he/she is religious.

You got me thinking now.. my definition of disrespect is sometimes very different from that of the faithful. For instance, many consider depictions of Muhammad to be disrespectful. I'll do a drawing of Muhammad whenever I please. Rather than being disrespectful, I see it as exercising my rights (to prove a point).

To a much lesser extent, it seems many Christians are offended by people constantly wishing them Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas. I don't see that as disrespectful either.

The tortoise thing I remembered from "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. The book starts with the following story..

A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: “What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.” The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, “What is the tortoise standing on.” “You’re very clever, young man, very clever,” said the old lady. “But it’s turtles all the way down!”

//Most people would find the picture of our universe as an infinite tower of tortoises rather ridiculous, but why do we think we know better? //

@PhilboydStudge Good point. I hadn't made the differentiation - not even in my mind. I don't respect religion, and sometimes I...

Thanks for the generous tortoise explanation. I had never heard that story!

In regards to the Happy Holidays thing - I can't speak for all Christians of course, but I really don't think that being wished Happy Holidays from someone is troublesome. But, being chastised for returning that greeting with Merry Christmas seems like it might ruffle more Christian feathers.

"Turtles all the way down!" - Yeah, I can imagine a roomful of scientists getting a laugh from that!

@2626003

Thibault, seriously. How did you get so wise at such a young age. Are you a prodigy or something?

The funny hypocrisy about religion is that by rule only your god is real, all the other gods are make belief and fairy tails. So by definition religious people are atheists for every single god but theirs.

What really bothers me is when people think atheism is a religion or the big bang theory or evolution.

Believe in what you want it's a free world.

@Sunny_the_skeptic The funny hypocrisy about religion is that by rule only your god is real, all the other gods are make belief and...

Along the same line of thought as your first point, I watched a lecture being given by Michael Shermer (he's the publisher of Skeptic magazine) where he said that as an atheist, he simply believes in one less god than any religious person.

It's NOT okay - in my opinion. I know it happens, even here sometimes - but it ain't right.

I don't disrespect anything. I have attitudes; disrespect isn't part of it.

Mind you there was a time when I had stronger attitudes...but still there was some respect.

I agree, because some of them are calling it brainwashing as if we are mindcontrolled by the teachings & the practices.

People can believe anything they want, makes no difference to me. I believe in God of the Universe who has made all things.

There is no reason to disrespect any religion or non religious belief, but don't mistake a negative opinion for outright disrespect. The key factor here is that all of them are "beliefs". There exists some evidence that some will consider proof, but in fact none of the theories have been proven for the beginning of the world or life itself.

Because freedom of speech is a thing.

@2625901

Please accept this in the respectful / amusing tone intended;
That's downright Christian of you DWF!

Some of the more recent religions that have been gaining larger congregations are the Mother Earth cult and the Global Warming fanatics.

I'm a jain but I think criticism is often taken at disrespect.

Because your god sucks that's why!