+14

Steam locomotives are beautiful marvels of engineering

Just look at them! you can see so many things moving puffing and pumping. The smells the sounds the beautiful whistle! I love trains! And I love the steam locomotive most of all! Humankind has created a beauty, and for it's time, it is really an impressive feat!

Image for post Steam locomotives are beautiful marvels of engineering
TomboyJanets avatar Technology
9 20

I agree. Every train is a marvel to me.... big and strong.

They are pretty cool. A few years back I road the train, with the steam engine, from Durango CO to Silverton. That was kind of fun. The train only goes about 35 miles an hour through the mountains and it's a 2 1/2 hour ride. If you are in an open car, you can smell the smoke and see hot embers sometimes. They hve a couple guys on the train at the back to stop and put out any fires along the tracks if that happens.

@JustJimColo They are pretty cool. A few years back I road the train, with the steam engine, from Durango CO to Silverton. That...

In all my steam travels I usually take the observtion car behind the engine. Sometimes if the engine is facing the train you can get a great look at the front and watch the engineer pull all the levers and such and realize what it takes to keep the engine running smoothly. also you get a full blast of the whistle. I went out on the Strasburg RR in PA and stood on the little platform balcony at the end of the car they used in Hello Dolly, and that's probably the loudest I've ever heard a train. It didn't really scare me as a kid because the engine looked like it was smiling with the raining on the front and i thought it was cute. Most girls were thinking about ribbons and makeup and I was thinking about coal and steam :P

YES. They are.

I took that picture in Connecticut on the Valley RR. For the past several weekends I've been riding different steam trains and visiting steam engine related sites.

They are really something to see in person. Reminds me of the Cannonball Express on Petticoat Junction. Ha!

Good post. The man made precision and detail are overlooked by the finished product.

@PrinceOxford Good post. The man made precision and detail are overlooked by the finished product.

I love finding common ground P.O. Outside the political field there are core things that can appeal to many different kinds of people

Image in content Here is the Strasburg RR #475 (sorry for my finger) and here is a little tank engine that kinda looks like an american percy Image in content

@TomboyJanet Here is the Strasburg RR #475 (sorry for my finger) and here...

Here is an odd one for you. We have a cog railroad that goes up to the top of Pikes Peak. Here is one of the old engines. It's a pretty steep climb.

@JustJimColo Here is an odd one for you. We have a cog railroad that goes up to the top of Pikes Peak. Here is one of the old...

Ohhh I saw that when I was there!! I didn't get to ride on it though cuz it was the day of the pikes peak hill climb

I agree! Steam locomotives are things of beauty and function. I'm not suggesting we go back to steam, but we can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship of days gone by.

PS - Hi Janet! Haven't seen you here for a while. Good to see you again!

@Budwick I agree! Steam locomotives are things of beauty and function. I'm not suggesting we go back to steam, but we can...

Hey Budwick! my friendly rival! Its great to be back!

I would love if just a few local lines out in the country had some steam loco options. They're trying to restore the Union Pacific "Big Boy" in Wyoming, and that powerful chugger can go fast enough at least for an interstate.

@TomboyJanet Hey Budwick! my friendly rival! Its great to be back! I would love if just a few local lines out in the country...

Cuyahoga National Park has a small train service, many use for actual commuting to nearby Akron. In the winter months they convert to The Polar Express. They have a steam locomotive in the process of restoration, but it's expensive and time consuming. Plus, it's a coal burner and they're getting a lot of blowback from environmentalists. I doubt it will happen - may be a static display though.

@Budwick Cuyahoga National Park has a small train service, many use for actual commuting to nearby Akron. In the winter...

The thing a lot of people misunderstand about steam locomotives is that they don't pollute much more than the average interstate. A steam engine here and there isn't gonna choke us all to death and to me the minor impact is worth having a moving work of art to appreciate. Its not a very usual view for me to take but there is something connecting me to steam trains my whole life from being the little tomboy watching Thomas to my first model train to my rides at Strasburg PA and now my Steam tour of the northeast.

@TomboyJanet The thing a lot of people misunderstand about steam locomotives is that they don't pollute much more than the...

Wow! This young woman loves her steam trains! And, I'm in total support of your views on this.

Now, you mentioned Steam tour of the northeast. What's that about? Actual steam trains on a tour? OMG - that sounds awesome!