+15

I just had to catch a freaking bat. IN...MY...HOUSE!!!!!!!

Carlas avatar Life
12 51

We have a bat in our attic - for real. We don't bother him and we have very, very few bugs in the house. We kind of like having him here.

@Carla This was for real.

Our bat is for real and so it the guano he leaves behind.

@ozzyboy Our bat is for real and so it the guano he leaves behind.

I am certain mine was an accidental guest. Pretty sure how he got in. Doesnt take but a tiny crack.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +5Reply

Ha that's mad, a friend of mine had to catch a bat in his bathroom a couple of weeks back. He'd managed to wrap it up in a towel somehow and then took it outside.

Up until then though, I'd never heard of anyone finding a bat inside their house before. Personally I'd of just screamed and probably just run round in circles punching my own skull in ARRGHH! Get it outta my hair! Get it outta my hair!hehe smilie
乂^◡^乂

Adas avatar Ada Agree +7Reply

Years ago I was sitting at my parents' computer, and I saw something go zipping past me and land on the door. A little bat. Hmm, what to do? I got up slowly and went to get a wide glass. Then I went and opened the outside door. I crept back into the office and grabbed a piece of paper. I put the glass over the bat and gently worked the paper under the glass until the bat dropped into the glass. I tilted the glass upright, leaving the paper in place as a lid, and went outside. When I took the paper off, the bat was just sort of chilling in the bottom of the glass, so I deposited it on the step and went to close the door. The bat gathered it's self up and took off. Not the most exciting story ever, but that's what happened.

@Maze Years ago I was sitting at my parents' computer, and I saw something go zipping past me and land on the door. A...

I will tell you mine.
I was sitting in my mothers chair, had the tv on sirius bridge, combing my dog. I heard what i thought was a crackling sound out of the tv. I muted it but i still heard a crackling, scratching sound. The fireplace is nearby, i thought...bird. but no.
There is a brass jug on a high shelf behind the tv and i pinpointed the noise was there.
So im thinking....beetle? But..not thinking, really.
I pulled down that jug and the bat flew out. Startled me good. Started flying through the house in circles. So...i got my animals in a closed room, then lost the bat.
There are many places it could hide, so i sat back down to think about it. I look over to the office area and i see the thing hanging from the light fixture above the desk.
I contemplated it awhile. Opened the back door, thinking it would sense the heavier influx of air. It didnt.
So...i got a brown paper bag and put the broom handle through it about halfway down. Stuck a stone coaster in it because it kept twirling, put on a hoody and gloves and reached up and put the bag over the light. It waited a bit, then fell in.
Took it outside and let it out.
Phew.
Caught one years ago in nc. I took that one in to be tested. Came back negative. Couldnt see having another one killed. My dogs would have let me know if it had been here long enough to bite someone.

Got my heart pumping, for certain.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +8Reply

Hope no one was hurt in the process...

@2627317

Fireplace?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@2627326

One of my cats has brought in a couple live ones.
Furnace chimney? They can get down through the unit and in when it isnt burning.
Or..into the attic via the soffit...overhang.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@2627340

:).
If i was close, i would give you some time, bo.
We could do some fixing.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +5Reply
@2627344

Every little bit.....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +5Reply

I've not had that happen, but I can sure understand it getting your adrenaline up. As much I like bats, I definitely wouldn't be calm if one got in the house and was flying around.
It would be far easier to catch one with a little help, and I admire your innovation, Carla. :) Like you, I wouldn't want to hurt it at all, and would be concerned about securing the other animals somewhere before I started trying get the little critter out safely.

@Carla I like bats, spiders too. We would be overrun without them.

I don't particularly like spiders, since I've always been a bit afeared of certain ones. I don't wish to hurt or kill them, though.

Yikes. lol

@Carla Yep....Yikes!

That is scary. We were visiting friends one night and that happened, fortunately it was there responsibility to catch that varmint....lol we were all ducking for cover as it was flying everywhere. lol

@Carla It was an event. But...it was a lone effort. No audience

OMG, that would even be worse..... I might have called 911. lol

@Carla Ha!

I go bonkers when I see a spider, let alone a bat flying around....lol

@StarzAbove I go bonkers when I see a spider, let alone a bat flying around....lol

I gots me, nerves of steel.
Well....until it was gone, anyway.
But after? My heart was racing.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@Carla I gots me, nerves of steel. Well....until it was gone, anyway. But after? My heart was racing.

You must have, I'd probably ran out of the house screaming like a banshee....and then had a heart attack.

I've had to do that... Poor wee bat looked so frightened...

@Sukiesnow I've had to do that... Poor wee bat looked so frightened...

I never got close enough to his face to know how he was feeling....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@Carla I never got close enough to his face to know how he was feeling....

They say that it's little girl bats that sometimes stray from the group...

@2627348

I hope not.
My animals are current.
Im not:[

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply

I couldn't turn on the lights because if I did the box of bees in front of the room would be attracted to the light and get in my room somehow, I'm terrified of any insect that flies and stings

@2627298

Yeah...i would have too.
But..what else could you do when someone is that frightened?

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

I had that once which turned in to a live action comedy show trying to get it out of my house hehe smilie

🦋

@Carla Bet it wasnt funny at the time, though..

At the time no. I called my best friend in another state for help. He was trying not to laugh because I was in tears. I was worried the bat was going to bring back up

@2627654

Once the squirrels are in, it is a major effort to get them gone.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
Anonymous